Lt. Commander
# 21
01-04-2011, 01:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon_BlownApart
Ok... I've been playing with the DS-9 map and have so far managed to get 4 rocks located in the station and 4 ships to stay inside them... one in each pylon even with the main ring and one in center... battleships are too big... cruiser 2 seems to work well...

This was very tedious to get to work well... but I'm happy with the results... It CAN be done...

I will try to put some fighters in the ends of the plyon docking ports next...

Ok... fighters don't work... frigates - you get a pair and they work well... occasionally sticking out a little here or there... I have the rings rigged with 7 groups of 2 frigates and the upper and lower docking things have a pair of frigates in each one... the center section has a upper & lower cruiser 2 inside... wow... this thing has alot of firepower...

I'm really kinda proud... works easier each time... I'll make a mission out of it and get it published for you guys to see...
Very cool, NB. I'll try to play the mission later.
Lt. Commander
# 22
01-04-2011, 04:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon_BlownApart
Ok... I've been playing with the DS-9 map and have so far managed to get 4 rocks located in the station and 4 ships to stay inside them... one in each pylon even with the main ring and one in center... battleships are too big... cruiser 2 seems to work well...

This was very tedious to get to work well... but I'm happy with the results... It CAN be done...

I will try to put some fighters in the ends of the plyon docking ports next...

Ok... fighters don't work... frigates - you get a pair and they work well... occasionally sticking out a little here or there... I have the rings rigged with 7 groups of 2 frigates and the upper and lower docking things have a pair of frigates in each one... the center section has a upper & lower cruiser 2 inside... wow... this thing has alot of firepower...

I'm really kinda proud... works easier each time... I'll make a mission out of it and get it published for you guys to see...
Hey NB, if you can write a draft post for sbugc explaining what you did, then I'll record some video footage of it and add it to the post. Or, it would probably be easier if you recorded it yourself using WeGame (free).
Lt. Commander
# 23
01-04-2011, 04:53 PM
It's just the same technique as the other one... just more of it... no real difference at all... I just was experimenting with what was possible and someone said something about DS-9 so I was bored and went for it...

Hopefully we'll be able to share and import other people's maps soon... the demo is very short but shows the functionality of the workaround... If you want just run the mission and add it to the tutorial you already made...
Lt. Commander
# 24
01-05-2011, 10:41 PM
Alrighty then... in case any one cares... I now have 2 missions with space station defenses... not counting the DS-9 demo...

Rescue - First map has a station being attacked by enemies.
Re-Ani-Rescue - 3rd space map has Space Station Defenses that you must eliminate.

This process does indeed get easier each time I do it... I think the key factor to ease of use is placing the objects on the map in the correct order and using copy(cntrlC) and paste(cntrlV) to copy co-ordinates from one to the other.

Get your asteroids where you think they need to be.. go fly around and look to see if this is true... then copy those co-ordinates to your appropriate NPC groups.. Don't forget to copy the co-ordinates to the individual actors as well... and pick some kind of name for your actors... I've used things like Defense Pods, station defenses, center defenses - whatever you think is appropriate I guess...

Also very handy is to use the /loc command while in Map test mode... this will display the co-ordinates of your ship in the NPC chat window to make finding the correct placement easier...

I notice quite a bit of movement within the station structure by trapped ships, sometimes they poke out a bit, but what can I do? It works good enough for me... It sure works better than what Cryptic gave us so far...

Enjoy!
Lt. Commander
# 25
01-06-2011, 01:58 AM
I really hope that Cryptic, at some point, gives us real armed stations. It would improve their own missions, too. The DS9 mission where you have to disable the stations defense feels kinda wrong with all those turrets not on but around the ship.