Lt. Commander
(Here is the link for the article that was published today: http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/01...r-trek-online/ )

Hey guys! As per habit, I'm stopping by the forums to say

1) OUCH! White text on black background? Migraiiiinnnes!

2) I will be looking at the game for my column Rise and Shiny this week. I play for a week and give my first impressions.

Now, before anyone says the usual " a week isn't long enough to review a game!" I have to answer: Massively does not do reviews. We do not give scores or stars. We will tell you our impressions, and will always note how long we played or what our intent was. I will be going through a week of noobishness (although I have played, almost literally, every game out there, I haven't looked at STO since beta..) and reporting on what I find.

In other words, I am not going to list off a series of facts, like a walkthrough. I will list a series of experiences. If it sucks, I say so. If it's fun, I say so.

So far, the community has been amazing. Thanks already! See ya in game! Here is the column I will be writing in.

Beau Hindman
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-03-2011, 06:25 PM
What your describing is by definition a review, your just calling it something different to avoid the "a week isnt long enough" issue. That said, I hope you enjoy yourself. If you have any questions feel free to PM me or just post here
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-03-2011, 06:26 PM
Welcome (back) and have fun

Be sure to hit level 6 and then pop down to Eta Eridani (the Klingon neutral zone) and play through the Devidian series from Franklin Drake. Its the best indicator of what the "ground" experience should and could be in the game.

Also, if you find things a bit easy, don't be afraid to bump up the difficulty, especially in space. At the lower levels, even elite mode isn't too punishing, but it does challenge you properly. Just be careful, some ground combat on elite is.... vigorous so if you get stuck, restart on an easier setting.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-03-2011, 06:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberion1701
Welcome (back) and have fun

Be sure to hit level 6 and then pop down to Eta Eridani (the Klingon neutral zone) and play through the Devidian series from Franklin Drake. Its the best indicator of what the "ground" experience should and could be in the game.
I agree with this. Definitely some of the best missions in the game

FYI, you dont have to actually go there anymore; it shoudl automatically show up in your mission journal I believe. At least, it did on my Klingon.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-03-2011, 06:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
What your describing is by definition a review, your just calling it something different to avoid the "a week isnt long enough" issue. That said, I hope you enjoy yourself. If you have any questions feel free to PM me or just post here
No, what I am doing is a first impressions, similar to when we get a hands-on with a new game, or a press review tour. It is, by definition, a limited look at the game. A "review" would be, at least, several months, a trip to max level, or however else many might define it -- but it isn't a week in a game. When you have to do a game per week, or several games per month, you do it in an honest way!

Thanks for the advice, though! See ya in game!

Beau
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-03-2011, 06:35 PM
I would wait for the next round of Featured Episodes. The community as a whole really perks up for these and gives a better representation of the playerbase as more of us come out of our hidey-holes

Maybe run your week so you get a taste of both standard STO and "Weeklies Day."

Maybe do this as a follow-up? You're reallly missing out by not experiencing freshly released Featured Ep goodness.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-03-2011, 06:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauturkey
No, what I am doing is a first impressions, similar to when we get a hands-on with a new game, or a press review tour. It is, by definition, a limited look at the game. A "review" would be, at least, several months, a trip to max level, or however else many might define it -- but it isn't a week in a game. When you have to do a game per week, or several games per month, you do it in an honest way!

Thanks for the advice, though! See ya in game!

Beau
Unfortunately most game reviewers dont actually do that anymore, and most reviews now consist of little more than what you are doing. So your "impression" is going to be approximately the same as a "review" of STO on another site.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-03-2011, 06:41 PM
I enjoy my STO time!
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-03-2011, 06:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksparrowjive55 View Post
Unfortunately most game reviewers dont actually do that anymore, and most reviews now consist of little more than what you are doing. So your "impression" is going to be approximately the same as a "review" of STO on another site.
Yeh, I hear that. Massively is REALLY big on clarifying how and why we do things. If you look at my column/s you will always see an explanation of why I am doing it, or how.

OK enough chat. I gotta' do some work so I can jump into the game! WOOOOO!

Beau
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-03-2011, 06:44 PM
Hope you have fun Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about the game. oh and when you get to sector space, turn off astrometrics, looks better .

Also something you might want to do is in the options, turn off the shield ring UI. A lot of people don't like that UI, and I think it looks better with out em