Lt. Commander
# 11
01-03-2011, 06:38 PM
If you really want the scope, hope onto the tribble server and play some player-made missions. You'll be able to preview what is going to change this game.
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-03-2011, 06:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauturkey
Hey guys! As per habit, I'm stopping by the forums to say

1) OUCH! White text on black background? Migraiiiinnnes!

2) I will be looking at the game for my column Rise and Shiny this week. I play for a week and give my first impressions.

Now, before anyone says the usual " a week isn't long enough to review a game!" I have to answer: Massively does not do reviews. We do not give scores or stars. We will tell you our impressions, and will always note how long we played or what our intent was. I will be going through a week of noobishness (although I have played, almost literally, every game out there, I haven't looked at STO since beta..) and reporting on what I find.

In other words, I am not going to list off a series of facts, like a walkthrough. I will list a series of experiences. If it sucks, I say so. If it's fun, I say so.

So far, the community has been amazing. Thanks already! See ya in game! Here is the column I will be writing in.

Beau Hindman
Good time to come "back" to STO.

Haha I've been here sinse Beta / Headstart and I can honestly say that this game has come far from the state it was is.

I'm honestly having more fun than ever in STO!

(And honestly, I'm really not saying that because you're "reviewing" STO...I just really think the game is amazing now ).

Having fun playing the "new and improved STO"
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-03-2011, 06:57 PM
I'm sure we can pull an Oprah for ya.

That is show you around, give you a good time and send you back with a glowing review that no normal gamer could ever hope to replicate.
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-03-2011, 09:07 PM
Well first, it still is a review. Simply a review of your first impressions. But whatever. And they are right, You defiantly, need to the Devidan missions, (Especially the third episode)
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-04-2011, 01:21 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. Still having a blast. I was so impressed by the interior ship stuff. That is SUCH a great tool for a roleplayer.

Beau
Lt. Commander
# 16
01-04-2011, 01:41 AM
The other "big tip" that people seem to have left out for suggestions here is "take your time and enjoy the game". STO has a lot of back-story that took place between the end of Nemesis and 2409 -- so much that they had to publish an entire novel (titled The Needs of the Many, which can be picked up on Amazon for under $10).

If you don't have the time to read the book (which was a pretty interesting read... written in the form of a series of interviews done by Jake Sisko), it really helps to read the story and mission text. Don't "just click next to start the pew pew".

Believe me, it makes the whole game MUCH more enjoyable.
Lt. Commander
# 17
01-04-2011, 01:45 AM
Quote:
Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. Still having a blast. I was so impressed by the interior ship stuff. That is SUCH a great tool for a roleplayer.

Beau
ooh might i suggest you take a quick stab at the tribble servers' foundry UGC tool. it aint ready yet but it's a good glimpse into what's to come.
Lt. Commander
# 18
01-05-2011, 08:46 AM
Completely off topic but i just wanted to say that Massively kicks ass. It's one of my favorite websites - always full of mmo goodness. And i don't just say that because they provided me with a RIFT VIP beta key. Enjoy STO, its a good game that's only getting better.
Lt. Commander
# 19
01-05-2011, 09:05 AM
Quote:

Beau
Glad your having fun. I highly recommend loging on the test server Tribble and trying out the new UGC tool called the Foundry. If you just want to try other people's missions, just open your journal and click the "community authored" tab(and check this thread). If you want to try creation, I recommend watching these first:

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=191472
Lt. Commander
# 20
01-05-2011, 09:28 AM
Quote:
stuff
I'm sorry. I hope you're getting paid something, at least.

Also, a week actually is plenty for this game. Nothing changes except a few more buttons to push.

Edit: Actually, I take that back. Over the course of a week, "it gets better!" still seems like it might be true, and depending on your schedule it might actually take more than a week to meet every single enemy NPC variant.