Lt. Commander
# 21
01-08-2011, 06:08 AM
Alright guys, here Isit writing up my column. Thanks to everyone who met with me and gave me some advice during the week! The column will be out on Sunday, so see you in the comments section!

Beau
Lt. Commander
# 22
01-08-2011, 06:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauturkey
Hey guys! As per habit, I'm stopping by the forums to say

1) OUCH! White text on black background? Migraiiiinnnes!

2) I will be looking at the game for my column Rise and Shiny this week. I play for a week and give my first impressions.

Now, before anyone says the usual " a week isn't long enough to review a game!" I have to answer: Massively does not do reviews. We do not give scores or stars. We will tell you our impressions, and will always note how long we played or what our intent was. I will be going through a week of noobishness (although I have played, almost literally, every game out there, I haven't looked at STO since beta..) and reporting on what I find.

In other words, I am not going to list off a series of facts, like a walkthrough. I will list a series of experiences. If it sucks, I say so. If it's fun, I say so.

So far, the community has been amazing. Thanks already! See ya in game! Here is the column I will be writing in.

Beau Hindman
It's a trap!

Just remember, don't be like the MMORPG.com reviewer than played under 2 hours and wrote an editorial on STO's content (including endgame). You'll get called on it. :p

Welcome to the game though.

Are there any particular experiences you're wanting to hit up?

Most new players get up to:
  • at Lieutenant rank, grade 6 (Lt. 6), PvP is accessible (as are Exploration Clusters, if I recall)
  • around Lt 6 or lt 10 then start the Weekly Series.
  • at Lt. 6 or 10, crafting starts (change d a lot since beta)
  • at Lt. 6 or 10 , Federation Diplomatic Missions start in: Vulcan, Bajor, Starbase Sierra, Memory Alpha
  • Larger social hubs include DS9 (at Quark's Bar), Drozana Station Bar, and most of ESD
  • Notable Sights: Badlands (near DS9), Great Bloom (near Hobus), Briar Patch ("southern" Regulus Sector Block)

I hope that helps. That should be enough to last a week and get you to the mid teens.
Lt. Commander
# 23
01-08-2011, 09:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
It's a trap!

Just remember, don't be like the MMORPG.com reviewer than played under 2 hours and wrote an editorial on STO's content (including endgame). You'll get called on it. :p

Welcome to the game though.

Are there any particular experiences you're wanting to hit up?

Most new players get up to:
  • at Lieutenant rank, grade 6 (Lt. 6), PvP is accessible (as are Exploration Clusters, if I recall)
  • around Lt 6 or lt 10 then start the Weekly Series.
  • at Lt. 6 or 10, crafting starts (change d a lot since beta)
  • at Lt. 6 or 10 , Federation Diplomatic Missions start in: Vulcan, Bajor, Starbase Sierra, Memory Alpha
  • Larger social hubs include DS9 (at Quark's Bar), Drozana Station Bar, and most of ESD
  • Notable Sights: Badlands (near DS9), Great Bloom (near Hobus), Briar Patch ("southern" Regulus Sector Block)

I hope that helps. That should be enough to last a week and get you to the mid teens.
hey Darren, would you mind checking out my two new Threads i posted. one of then is about DOS, Duty Officer System. please comment on what you think of it
Lt. Commander
# 24
01-08-2011, 10:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superlink1 View Post
hey Darren, would you mind checking out my two new Threads i posted. one of then is about DOS, Duty Officer System. please comment on what you think of it
Holy cow. . .

1)If you insist on spamming people to look at your topics, do it via PM, not in other topics.

2)DON'T spam people to look at your topics, ever!

Honestly, no wonder you were silenced.
Lt. Commander
# 25
01-09-2011, 08:09 AM
Bumped for link add. Thanks again guys!

Beau
Lt. Commander
# 26
01-09-2011, 08:19 AM
A nice and generous review. Thanks!
Lt. Commander
# 27
01-09-2011, 08:28 AM
Nice article. Hope you continue on playing even though your review is done.

Edit:
For your own enjoyment you still should check out the weekly episodes.
Lt. Commander
# 28
01-09-2011, 08:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikoy
Nice article. Hope you continue on playing even though your review is done.

Edit:
For your own enjoyment you still should check out the weekly episodes.
Yeh I was definitely going to look into that, and was going to ask our STO column writer about it. They seemed really cool, but I wasn't sure how they worked.

Beau
Lt. Commander
# 29
01-09-2011, 08:53 AM
Quote:
Yeh I was definitely going to look into that, and was going to ask our STO column writer about it. They seemed really cool, but I wasn't sure how they worked.

Beau
weekly eps work the same as normal eps they just get releases one per week during a series.

we already have two series out. the breen series and the devidian series. both are now in game forever and obtainable via the relevant contacts. (ambassador surah and franklin drake) there are 5 eps in each series making a larger story.

the third series launches this month and will then see one ep every saturday for 5 or 6 weeks.
Lt. Commander
# 30
01-09-2011, 08:57 AM
Quote:

Beau
At lt 6-10 you gain access to them. One is in Eta Eridoni sector. And the other is in the Orellius sector. Both are a ton of fun.

Also were you aware that the next season(update) slated for April-ish is focused on improvements to ground combat?