Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Lt. Commander
FACEBOOK FYI: ALERT*As of today, NEW PRIVACY setting called "Instant Personalization" that shares data with non-Facebook websites and it is automatically set to "Enable." Go to Account>Privacy Settings>Applications and Websites>Instant Personalization>at bottom of page Edit Settings, and un-check "Enable". BTW if your friends don't do... this, they will be sharing information about you. PLEASE COPY & REPOST

One of those facebook status things going around, but this one is true. I suggest you all change this setting.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-03-2011, 02:21 AM
Privacy and Facebook...now theres a thought. The rabbit hole goes much deeper than changing a few settings here and there. I have no interest in letting willy nilly know far too much about me, but Facebook users seem to love having a platform to tell their friends they are having a nice hot bath or someone at the moment is annoying them, they don't stop and think about the consequences of their actions. I know people who have been sacked from work because of Facebook, had a relationship end because of letting far too many people know too much, just for the abitily to speak crap on a regular basis. Really, does half of what is added to a status bar really need to be said in exchange for another slice of privacy to be taken away from you?
I deleted my account about a year ago now, and it was the best thing i could have ever done. Do i feel out of touch with friends because of this? Absolutely not. I speak to them just as much without 'person A' jumping into a conversation or 'person B' sharing their unneccessary opinions. The argument that i need to use FB to stay in touch with people is null, since we were all doing fine before this intrusive service was introduced.
Just think in ten years time, when your account is full up with shocking pictures of nights out, conversations of drug taking and general anti-social behaviour, idiotic views and self-important opinions. Good luck getting a job or being taken seriously then. And all just to tell all your friends you are having a bad day...
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-03-2011, 02:31 AM
*skips away to failbook to read up on the "news"*

*reads a single line of text on failbook*
GAH! CANNOT BE UNSEEN!
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-03-2011, 02:38 AM
I don't use facebook. I'm one of the few left.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-03-2011, 02:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by USS Parallax
I don't use facebook. I'm one of the few left.
Failbook>Facebook

Simple as that. *tries to clean eyes in bleach*
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-03-2011, 03:00 AM
I dont use it either............
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-03-2011, 03:44 AM
These warnings always make me laugh. Oh know my personal info is being shared by Facebook!!!! Well, guess what, Facebook is not sharing anymore info than your credit card company is. Or your amazon account, or every time you give a retailer your phone number or zip code.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-03-2011, 04:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus92 View Post
These warnings always make me laugh. Oh know my personal info is being shared by Facebook!!!! Well, guess what, Facebook is not sharing anymore info than your credit card company is. Or your amazon account, or every time you give a retailer your phone number or zip code.
Yay. I'm not using any of those.
Well Amazon about once a year... But things from them goes straight to junk mail.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-03-2011, 04:26 AM
Iīm on the net since around 1996 - so far i donīt think FB can share MORE information with the rest of the world than i already did in 15 Years...
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-03-2011, 07:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus92 View Post
yeah but this setting actually scans your public info and give it all to participating websites.