Lt. Commander
# 1 C-store music packs?
01-04-2011, 11:59 AM
I'm sure I'm not the only genius who thought of this, but could (or should) Cryptic offer special background music packs for use by Foundry creators for use in their missions? I might be willing to lay down a few bucks for truly awesome, original (canonical) music to enhance the experience for other players.

EB
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-04-2011, 12:30 PM
I wouldn't be against it, although I think it's too early to talk about this just yet.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-04-2011, 12:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebeyer View Post
I'm sure I'm not the only genius who thought of this, but could (or should) Cryptic offer special background music packs for use by Foundry creators for use in their missions? I might be willing to lay down a few bucks for truly awesome, original (canonical) music to enhance the experience for other players.

EB
No, everything should be free. At least for Foundry mission creation. The whole point is to use the existing assets in the game. Why would you want to pay for extra music? It should just appear in the Foundry like everything else so far like the C-store only costumes.

You're not using them for yourself - you're using them to create mission for other people. Heck, they should be paying YOU.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-04-2011, 02:34 PM
Allowing us to select the specific music for our missions is already on their list of additions for the future. Why would you ask them to make us pay for it?
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-04-2011, 04:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Allowing us to select the specific music for our missions is already on their list of additions for the future. Why would you ask them to make us pay for it?
I think he meant for Cryptic to actually make new and original (canonical) music that could be used for Foundry mission. I don't think he meant to say he was willing to pay for the right to select musical scores from the ones already in existence, but perhaps I'm wrong.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-04-2011, 07:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfPit View Post
I think he meant for Cryptic to actually make new and original (canonical) music that could be used for Foundry mission. I don't think he meant to say he was willing to pay for the right to select musical scores from the ones already in existence, but perhaps I'm wrong.
Even if they made new music specifically for the foundry they should add it to the foundry at no additional cost, just as they do with the costumes and props.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-04-2011, 09:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactrix View Post
Even if they made new music specifically for the foundry they should add it to the foundry at no additional cost, just as they do with the costumes and props.
You know... I think the decision about that is ultimately up to Cryptic, as much as it's ultimately our decision whether we buy the items they put in the C-Store.

Lt. Commander
# 8
01-04-2011, 10:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfPit View Post
You know... I think the decision about that is ultimately up to Cryptic,
No REALLY???? I dont think he was denying that it's Cryptics decision. He was simply saying what he thought that decision SHOULD be.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-04-2011, 11:50 PM
As much as I hate to admit it, I think c-store/mini-transaction Foundry mission elements (whether it be original music, props, costumes, ships, etc) would be a good idea FROM A BUSINESS SENSE... as a player, yeah, I'd be a little miffed, but, then again, we already have a decent starting palette with which to create our UGC content. (i'd imagine, at this point, nearing the one-year mark, where the Lifers essentially start sailing for half-cost, and the yearlys start enjoying their 'locked in, low rate,' coupled with the rather low overall monthly subscriber base, the guys at Cryptic are getting a bit concerned about establishing some sort of positive, regular income)

A caveat to c-store Foundry purchasing would be: the c-store items shouldn't be 'make or break' elements, in that we should be able to create something similar or 'close enough' with the things we already have access to. It would suck if it boiled down to players being concerned about getting low, or no rating reviews because they lack this or that... elements that another player decided to pay more money for so they could stick them in their missions... BUT, (/sigh, apparently i'm a waffle today) then again, the key to good storytelling is how it the story is told.

d3n
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-05-2011, 02:39 AM
I am not really a fan of forcing people to spend money to use the Foundry. There are some areas where I can see a point, but assets like this. Not a fan. In theory, we are ensuring that people keep playing the game, and if our mission contains cool FX and music from Cryptic,that is an incentive for people to play more missions from the Foundry, and thus more STO. That'S good for Cryptic first and foremost. I am not the type of author that think I need to be payed for this - I do it for my own fun, because I enjoy it, and without Cryptic, I couldn't do it. But having me pay money for something to put in a mission, I think that's overstepping a line. Of course, my only reaction would be to not spend money on it, I suppose.

Now, whether the "average" player might have to pay for certain copyrighted and expensive music that was hard to get for Cryptic, well, the player can decide whether it's worth it. Considering that you have to compare the price to that of a Startrek soundtrack.