Lt. Commander
# 1 Explanation of starship stats?
01-04-2011, 07:23 PM
Does anyone know where I can find a list and explanation of all the various starship equiptment stats? For example, whats the difference between "deflector dish" and "deflector field" stats? What does "hazard system" stat do? Those are just examples, I'd really like to see a complete list if one exists. Thanks
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-06-2011, 07:05 PM
So I take it no one knows?
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-06-2011, 07:07 PM
Those stats link directly to your captain skills of the same name, which in turn link to Boff skills.

Therefore, if you equip a deflector dish with "+10 Sensor Array" it boosts your captain skill of the same name, which will affect any Boff skill that uses Sensor Array as one of its three related skills.

EDIT: Urgh... Must... check... original... post... date...

Damn you Nagus, damn you
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-06-2011, 07:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daevian
EDIT: Urgh... Must... check... original... post... date...

Damn you Nagus, damn you
What?..............
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-06-2011, 07:17 PM
Urgh... must check reading comprehension at 3am...

I thought your first post was from last year In that case my answer stands lol
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-06-2011, 07:20 PM
I thought it must be something like that(about the date mix up). Anyway, thanks for the answer. That said, I'm still not quite sure if I understand everything. Like, what if my Captain doesnt have that skill? What does it effect when I equip it?
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-06-2011, 07:38 PM
If your Captain doesn't have any ranks in that skill, it will still provide a boost in the same way that character traits like Warp Theorist etc do. If your Boffs don't use any skills that are linked to those (for instance you get that +Sensor Array one and don't use something like Jam Sensors) then you will gain no benefit at all.

The trick is to figure out what skills are being used in the same way you do when figuring out what skills to raise for your Captain, then find a deflector dish that provides bonuses to these skills.

As an example, my main tends to use EPtS, Science Team, Eng Team, and TSS. All of these make use of the Deflectors and Deflector Field captain skills. The best deflector dish is one that boosts these (I think it's the Graviton one usually), whereas one that boosts Sensor Array would provide me with no benefit.

Deflector Dishes are the "omg arcane" area of ship equipment, in that while everyone understands what shields and engines do, they're less clear on the deflector dish and due to the opaque skill system it's not particularly obvious at first glance what they're for.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-06-2011, 09:26 PM
Glad to see I'm not the only one who finds some of these things frustratingly opaque (for me Science Consoles are basically a pick "whatever sounds fancy") and I've also gone looking for sites explaining the terms without success.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-06-2011, 10:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Does anyone know where I can find a list and explanation of all the various starship equiptment stats? For example, whats the difference between "deflector dish" and "deflector field" stats? What does "hazard system" stat do? Those are just examples, I'd really like to see a complete list if one exists. Thanks
As said before this are science only skills (not powers). Here you can find a list of all science powers and which skills they use.

For example Hazard System improves the BO-powers Hazard Emitters and Polarize Hull.

Deflector dish: Tachyon Beam, Energy Siphon, Photonic Shockwave, Photonic fleet, SNB
Deflector Field: Science Team, TSS, FBP, Science Fleet, Photonic Fleet, Starship Dampening Field
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-07-2011, 09:51 AM
The easiest way I've found to deal with it is to go to the character planner here:

http://www.stoacademy.com/tools/skillplanner.php

Set up your ship and Boff powers as they are, look at which skills are highlighted in the science-y section, and find deflectors and consoles that buff those skills. You can't really go wrong if you do that.