Lt. Commander
# 21
01-05-2011, 12:14 PM
So far, not yet but I am generally happy with the direction STO is heading.

I think an LTS will have been an awesome investment if STO can be positioned to be ready and full of awesomeness by the time the 2nd Star Trek movie drops.
Lt. Commander
# 22 hmmm NOPE
01-05-2011, 12:23 PM
hmmm no, not at all. I did not get what i was shown and told i would get from sto via movies/closed beta/open beta. i got garbage missions with bugs, pew pew pew, no realistic play style, no realistic star trek experience, no real technology and upgrade ability, no real exploration. I got alot of eye candy and lies and few hours of content per week for a few months. While the new space look is a nice feature for the end of 2010 i still feel its eye candy. Telling me that oh the game has come a long way is total BS. The game is what it was promised to be 1 year ago from this date in closed/open beta and movies shown. While some of you are content i for one will not give "a pass" or "yeah its great." There is so much potential but not enough brain power and transparent function. Not enough creative mind as well as simple function in sto. To much useless areas and items in the game.

Any game MMO that can not keep up with its own web site is a sign of things to come. doom and closed doors.

Realistically there is so much for the game to do besides pwe pew pew. Perhaps cryptic took on to much and promised to much for such a great franchise but honestly people. site not fake dreams or talk from the D man on what you will promise to deliver but show me what has STO delivered. There are two many negatives that out weigh the positive. These are the clear facts about STO state. If you disagree then please do show evidence.
Lt. Commander
# 23
01-05-2011, 12:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFP-Magnis View Post
...show me what has STO delivered.
Subjectively, for myself, two Vice Admirals and several hours of fun on a nightly basis whether it's through playing on Holodeck, or fiddling with the Foundry on RedShirt/Tribble. Considering that I paid about $250 for the Lifetime subscription around February, almost 11 months ago, and seeing Cryptic's plans for the future, I'm satisfied with my investment.

Perhaps I can feel calm and positive about STO because while I was tracking all the hyperbole both from Perpetual Entertainment and Cryptic, I knew what could and could not be delivered, so when they talked about endless exploration, I knew that was merely PR talk and nothing more for years to come, if at all.

Expectation Management, the key to life and all that.

Lt. Commander
# 24
01-05-2011, 12:41 PM
I have definitely gotten my monies worth.

I spent many enjoyable hours playing with RL and newly created friends. That alone is a success in my book. The game has evolved quite a bit since launch and continues to do so. I feel with the release of the foundry that will only get better.

With that said. One of the most anticipated features I was looking forward to was exploration space. As I am sure you can guess, I was rather disappointed in that, and it's state has changed very little since launch. If they make that area shine this year I will be very happy. So far I have gotten my monies worth though. and after July it will just be money in the bank.
Lt. Commander
# 25
01-05-2011, 12:49 PM
At the end of the Open Beta, I dwelled on the question to follow through the purchase of my Collector's Edition box and the Lifetime membership. My impression at the end of the Beta was about even though I had enjoyed the Beta that I understood I had seen most that STO could offer and had my fun with it. With the completion of most Admiral missions on the True Path/Mirror Universe front, I had effectively completed the game.

Star Trek Online also suffered - and still does - from 'premature birth'. I did not mind that overmuch, though, because if I had a tie inbetween waiting until 2012 to see it released, or see it released earlier and have my voice and feedback possibly help develop it into a game more to the liking of fans rather than conceptual vision... I felt that in 2012, it would be a much more solid product.

I decided to buy the game anyways. I was going to buy it and help promote the brand. I was going to buy it in the hopes that it would eventually become everything I wished a Star Trek game would be.

Have I had my money's worth? Nope. My lifetime subscription investment is still going, I made C-Store purchases here and there and I'm fine with that. I'm not really happy to see how I paid for the gamebox in comparison to the piddly price people can pay it for today... but then again I knew I was investing that money to promote the game's success and lifespan so that's kind of acceptable.

There are still a lot of things I expect from STO, but they sadly won't happen overnight. I'll just need to have the patience to wait for it. My lifetime subscription gives me that luxury - now I merely have to hope STO keeps evolving and survives until it can better feels the hopes I have for it.
Lt. Commander
# 26
01-05-2011, 12:51 PM
yep

/10char
Lt. Commander
# 27
01-05-2011, 01:03 PM
Hell yes, best $250 I've spent not involving strippers and beer.
Lt. Commander
# 28
01-05-2011, 01:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidheadjax View Post
No. Every time I feel like things are looking up, something happens that makes me regret ever giving them my money.
Yes, I regret that you gave them your money, too.

just kiddin.
Lt. Commander
# 29
01-05-2011, 01:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFP-Magnis View Post
no realistic star trek experience...
Realistic and Star Trek have no business in the same sentence. How realistic of an experience can you expect from a video game, based off a television show - that depicts an imagined, distant future where physical laws and previously established information changed if stories required them to do so?

On a similar note, I was very upset to discover that my delicious Keebler brand cookies and crackers weren't personally baked by Ernie the Keebler Elf inside of a magical tree.
Lt. Commander
# 30
01-05-2011, 01:25 PM
With the game itself, more or less. The game is obviously a bit below par at this point but with the current development team, they are improving quality dramatically enough that I can have some faith that the game will eventually be what I paid for. Assuming it lasts beyond the approximately 18month wall for my LTS to pay for itself, I think it will be really worthwhile in 24-30 months.

My issues with STO and Cryptic don't have too much to do with the code itself anyway.