Lt. Commander
# 1 n00bish question
01-05-2011, 04:54 PM
hey people, i've been playing STO since open beta, but i haven't payed a subscription or the lifetime one once (pathetic, maybe), and so i've been stuck with the demo, which i still enjoy

now, in the next year or so, i will be getting the money for a lifetime subscription, since i love this game so much but i want to make sure of something first

when i upgrade to the lifetime, will my demo version automatically upgrade to full access? or will i have to re-download the game or something? any advice will be appreciated
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-05-2011, 04:58 PM
I had a trial account before buying the full game, from what I remember it should give your trial character full access after purchasing.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-05-2011, 04:59 PM
It'll upgrade, as far as I know.

The purpose of the demo is to make people want to buy the game, after all. And wiping out the character they might already be attached to isn't a good step toward that goal
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-05-2011, 06:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trek17
hey people, i've been playing STO since open beta, but i haven't payed a subscription or the lifetime one once (pathetic, maybe), and so i've been stuck with the demo, which i still enjoy

now, in the next year or so, i will be getting the money for a lifetime subscription, since i love this game so much but i want to make sure of something first

when i upgrade to the lifetime, will my demo version automatically upgrade to full access? or will i have to re-download the game or something? any advice will be appreciated
I will automatically upgrade, no need to redownload the client or anything. It might do a couple of smallish patches, but you'll be fine. Welcome to the Federation (or the KDF if you're going Klingon!)
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-05-2011, 08:32 PM
You will also need to be a full game version to upgrade your account to Full Game status. The Life Time Subscription won't do that. It just means that you don't have to be a monthly subscription ever again. You can buy a digital download version of the game. You just need a Retail Game Code to upgrade your account.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-05-2011, 11:25 PM
Quote:
You will also need to be a full game version to upgrade your account to Full Game status. The Life Time Subscription won't do that. It just means that you don't have to be a monthly subscription ever again. You can buy a digital download version of the game. You just need a Retail Game Code to upgrade your account.
thanks for the advice everyone, it is really appreciated
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-06-2011, 07:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzun View Post
No subscription fee: Play without a monthly fee forever!
Quote:
Free digital copy of the game: No need to purchase a retail key. It's included in your Lifetime purchase!
The Liberated Borg character species: Play as an escaped member of the Hivemind.
The Captain's Table - A special area restricted to lifetime subscribers and longtime STO veterans.
Exclusive costume option - An insignia available only to lifetime subscribers. Just visit a tailor in-game to add it to your current captain.
"Career Officer" title - Show off that you're committed to Starfleet or the KDF for the duration.
Forum goodies - Change the color of your username and show off a special title.
More on the way!
http://www.startrekonline.com/lifetime

hope he doesnt go wasting extra pocket change
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-06-2011, 08:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzun View Post
Actually, it will. If you read the benefits for a Lifetime Subscription, you will see that it includes a free digital copy of the game.

With a Lifetime Subscription, there is no need to buy a Retail Key. It's included with the membership.