Lt. Commander
Make it so !

Meow :p
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-05-2011, 06:35 PM
The problem is that each map is different. How can you place objects for one map and ensure that they're in the correct spot for others?
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-05-2011, 06:39 PM
very simple to do... there is a master list of objects and placement points for BO's and crew... each map has it's own particular locations for these objects and authors can select them... same thing is already in place on social maps in the foundry for us to use...
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-05-2011, 06:45 PM
From a software engineering perspective, this is of course feasible. Simple not really, possible yes. Maybe around Q2/3 of 2011.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-05-2011, 06:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon_BlownApart
very simple to do... there is a master list of objects and placement points for BO's and crew... each map has it's own particular locations for these objects and authors can select them... same thing is already in place on social maps in the foundry for us to use...
Which means everything must be stationary. So you get an image of your bridge from your captain's chair while all BOs stand/sit at their position and talk.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-05-2011, 06:57 PM
I see no reason that the bridge can't be sliced into manageable sections. You can always have them move about with wandering or the Jobs option if it ever gets turned on. Some designated floor areas and wall areas to place objects and things... if I can sit here & just come up with this stuff... you would think the Dev team would have already... but then again.. look at some of the stuff we have ended up with already...
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-05-2011, 07:05 PM
I'd do the design for this sub-system, if I was being paid to do so.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-06-2011, 06:23 AM
This will take some time to do.

What I think is doable now is other ship sections, like holodeck (I know that sounds dumb but I'd like to have that black room with yellow lines), sickbay, Cargo Bay, Generic living quarters, jeffreys tubes would be sweet!
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-06-2011, 12:56 PM
answer to ..how can you place objects that will match the current players internal map ?

You do not.
You can not.

When I write a mission....I choose a bridge and interior set up and that is what the player uses.

This thread is not a ....we want player ship interiors to be functional thread.

This is a ...give me a Federation ship interior map to use in foundry thread.

Meow
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-06-2011, 01:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatherfungus View Post
answer to ..how can you place objects that will match the current players internal map ?
Here's how... place-holders. We all know the Foundry supports placing Markers, well, place holders can be a special kind of marker. These place holders will then be planted in the generic ship interior map templates. When a player will load into his/her own ship's map that an author utilized in a mission, STO will simply overlay the map's template and then use the place holders to put the items the author added to the map at the right place-holder the author used.

In essence, the author will not control where items/entities are placed on the player's ship, but rather which item/entity is placed where. Not too difficult an idea to conceive, not so easy to design and implement and a full workload for Cryptic's team. However, I think it's a necessary sub-system, and not just for STO.