Lt. Commander
# 1 what does this mean?
01-05-2011, 06:32 PM
At level 17 it says something about getting access to the romulan sector episodes? Do i need to talk to someone for this or does it just open up a zone i couldn't travel to before?
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-05-2011, 06:42 PM
Around level 17 is when you generally get sent to Alpha Centauri to do the missions with the contacts in that area. That area is the fringe of the Romulan Neutral Zone. Admiral Quinn gives you a mission called Heading Out, IIRC. You have to pick up someone in the Regulus Sector and take them to Starbase 39 in Alpha Centauri. From there you'll get new contacts that give you the next string of missions until around level 30.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-05-2011, 06:54 PM
Hmmm i did a mission called heading out and never got new contacts other than admiral turah or something like that.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-05-2011, 07:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marble_Tiger View Post
Around level 17 is when you generally get sent to Alpha Centauri to do the missions with the contacts in that area. That area is the fringe of the Romulan Neutral Zone. Admiral Quinn gives you a mission called Heading Out, IIRC. You have to pick up someone in the Regulus Sector and take them to Starbase 39 in Alpha Centauri. From there you'll get new contacts that give you the next string of missions until around level 30.
Just remember, don't let Damar Kahn (the person you're going to pick up) pull the old, "You pay for lunch, and I'll pay for dinner" line on you. He knows you'll be at the base well before dinnertime, he's a freeloader.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-05-2011, 08:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandinroth1971
Hmmm i did a mission called heading out and never got new contacts other than admiral turah or something like that.
Admiral T'Nae is your contact for the Romulan Sector missions.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-06-2011, 10:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzun View Post
Admiral T'Nae is your contact for the Romulan Sector missions.
ok, evidently i'm too low for any further quests from here she's all dried up.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-06-2011, 11:28 AM
Quote:
At level 17 it says something about getting access to the romulan sector episodes? Do i need to talk to someone for this or does it just open up a zone i couldn't travel to before?
These posts make it sound a little more complicated than it currently is. Up to 16, or LC 6, your episode and patrol missions are listed under Klingon Front, and feature exclusively the Klingon Alliance opponents, including the Klingon, Orion, Gorn, and Nausicaans. At LC 7 (17), you get the first of the Romulan Front missions. The Orions come back in an early mission for a bit, but the main antagonists are the Romulans, Remans, and Hirogen until Cm9 (29).

You actually don't need to do anything special to start getting the missions. As soon as you are at the appropriate level, they will be listed as available missions when you hail Starfleet. The purpose of the LC 6 mission 'Heading out,' is simply to direct you to Starbase 39, which is the headquarters of Starfleet on the Romulan front. Otherwise, there really isn't anything in-game that would tell you that Sierra (and not Sierra Outpost II) is actually an open Starbase where you can buy LC and Cm appropriate gear.

Does that make sense?
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-06-2011, 02:44 PM
Quote:
ok, evidently i'm too low for any further quests from here she's all dried up.
You will also get new patrol/DSE and explore contacts. Here are your contacts for the Romulan Front (Alpha Centauri, Psi Velorum, Iota Pavonis sectors);

Storyline Missions- Admiral T'nae
Patrol and Defend Missions- Commander Argus Genstra
Exploration- Lieutenant Anek (Khazon Cluster, Afehir Nebula, Eridan Belt)

If you do not see any of these officers in your contact log, then you may have to do some more explore/patrol/DSEs from the Klingon front (Sirius, Regulus, Pi Canis)
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-06-2011, 03:57 PM
Missions unlock as you approach their level, typically this is at about one to two levels or so bellow the mission. A Commander 3 mission, for example becomes avilible at around LC 9/10 or so. Once available, these missions stay available for the life of your character until you complete them--They then can be accessed for mission replay in your ready room on your ship. These missions can be replayed for a token amount of exp and some loot, there is a 30 minute cooldown timer on each mission so no speed running Stranded in Space for exp. Replay missions are a good way to farm ground kills if you're into the whole accolade thing, and there's a few threads on it bumping around the forums.

While you can take a mission at any time, as your level increases, the experience from the mission drops. A Captain 6 can do a LC 8 mission, it just will probably net them fewer exp. The ride from LT to

In the old days--wow just a year and already we're talking about the old day -- if you were played federation you used to have to do patrol missions as a means of gaining the exp needed to get to the next level; but with things like the repeatable daily missions, the mission replay, and exploration clusters, the patrol missions aren't being used as often. On the klingon side, there is a still quite a bit of grinding as they simply don't have as many story mission yet as the federation does.

When they talk about "unlocking" sectors, in the case of the federation, its really more a shorthand for saying "you're now high enough to go there and not be insta-gibbed by the roving mobs." If you'd care you you can travel just about everywhere. On the klingon side, things are still a bit more limited in the space available to them. I suspect aspects of the game will shift in 2011 and things will change for the klingons.