Lt. Commander
First, who besides myself and my Fleet Mates feel that the inability to go to Full Impulse while in combat is

just...off, not canon and inhibiting to play style? Who here besides myself and my Fleet Mates feel that not

having the ability to Raise and Lower Shields on a whim is not canon and needs to have a justifiable reason

for being implemented? Well, if you are one of these people, listen up, I believe I have a viable idea that

could make this not only have an actual purpose, but make it fit closer to (but not exactly) canon.

First, we need a reason to go to Red Alert. Having a Red Alert without a proper function is just dull and a

waste of resources. So here is the idea... In order to give Red Alert a function beyond just saying, "Red

Alert" we need to give it a function and a reason for the function to go along with the name. Red Alert will

serve as one function and there will be one reason to use it. The function will be to Raise the Shields. By

calling for a Red Alert you will do two things, Raise Shields and drop out of Full Impulse. If you are in Full

Impulse, you will immediately drop out of Full Impulse and your Shields will go from being down and

completely vulnerable to being protected with Shields Charging up from 0/100 to whatever you have your

max shield setting.

This will also work in the reverse. If you are in the heat of battle, and as a Captain you know the most

important thing to do is to protect your ship and crew at all costs, and you need to get out of battle, then

you know you can go to Yellow Alert, which will Drop Shields and allow you to instantly go to Full Impulse.

This will make your ship fully vulnerable, but will also allow you the means to escape. Now we have a

reason for a Yellow Alert and a function.

This will bring a full reason for a Red Alert Function and a Yellow Alert Function. The Green Alert Function

will be the passive mode your ship will be in while in Sector Space. This gives a function and purpose for

a Red Alert and a Yellow Alert, a reason and function to Raise or Drop Shields and a diversity to the game

that not only makes it more fun to play, but also puts the game closer to canon.

So, will this idea be one that people could jump on board with, or will it be met with torches and pitchforks?

Thanks for any thoughtful consideration in advanced.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-05-2011, 10:34 PM
Some users complain about the redalert graphics giving them migraines, so they'd need to be toggled.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-05-2011, 10:40 PM
If you mean the odd red glow that flashes and streaks across the screen, then I agree. Although it does not give me headaches, it is hard to look at. Similar to blue writing on a red background.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-05-2011, 11:13 PM
What.. exactly... is that suppose to be, anyways?

That red glow pulsy thing.

Regards,
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-05-2011, 11:15 PM
I believe it is there to let you know that your ship has been boarded by a boarding party. That's when I most notice it anyway.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-05-2011, 11:30 PM
I have wanted a true Red Alert function since day one! The ONE thing a Captain is supposed to do (Call a ship to red/yellow alert) was automated for us!!! And we have to be the fire control/shield heal/damage control/pilot/navigator/chief Engineer/ships Doctor, etc instead!!!! We are far from being a Captain of a ship, especially when our own BO's are telling us what to do!!!!!

The other MAJOR problem is the fact that not only can our ships still function at 99% damage, they magically heal themselves within minutes!! Or if they get destroyed, POOF! A new shiny new ship appears in its place with a tiny smack on the hand for dying! I'm afraid we will never get a true Red Alert function like the OP desires without changing the way ship combat even works.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-05-2011, 11:31 PM
Yellow alert - raise shields and powers structual integrity fields

Red alert - does all that and powers weapons

If you hit an object that causes hull damage - Yellow Alert automatically turns on

If you get hit by weapon fire or the ship take any significant damage - Red Alert automatically turns on

The current system is just a MMO gamer thing....non-Trekies, would howl if they had to raise
shields for combat

Your game sux...I lost a PvP match because I had to raise shields first and they were already
firing.....epic fail...flame flame flame flame ect. LOL :p
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-05-2011, 11:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatherfungus View Post
Yellow alert - raise shields and powers structual integrity fields

Red alert - does all that and powers weapons

If you hit an object that causes hull damage - Yellow Alert automatically turns on

If you get hit by weapon fire or the ship take any significant damage - Red Alert automatically turns on

The current system is just a MMO gamer thing....non-Trekies, would howl if they had to raise
shields for combat

Your game sux...I lost a PvP match because I had to raise shields first and they were already
firing.....epic fail...flame flame flame flame ect. LOL :p

I get what you're saying, my whole purpose was to try and give a function to Red Alert, while at the same time finding a balanced way to allow people to use Full Impulse while in battle. I think it's kind of a give and take situation. Who knows, more people may like the idea than we think. Seems most people prefer more control of their MMO experience these days. This idea will do just that.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-06-2011, 01:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore_Rook View Post
I have wanted a true Red Alert function since day one! The ONE thing a Captain is supposed to do (Call a ship to red/yellow alert) was automated for us!!! And we have to be the fire control/shield heal/damage control/pilot/navigator/chief Engineer/ships Doctor, etc instead!!!! We are far from being a Captain of a ship, especially when our own BO's are telling us what to do!!!!!

The other MAJOR problem is the fact that not only can our ships still function at 99% damage, they magically heal themselves within minutes!! Or if they get destroyed, POOF! A new shiny new ship appears in its place with a tiny smack on the hand for dying! I'm afraid we will never get a true Red Alert function like the OP desires without changing the way ship combat even works.
I have wanted a true Red Alert Function since Beta as well. But I could never before justify adding the function until now. Hopefully I can get enough people on board with this idea to make the Devs take notice. Otherwise it will just be another buried idea that never seen light of day.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-06-2011, 01:36 PM
I should be able to jump to warp in battle as long as my warp drive hasn't been knocked out.