Lt. Commander
# 11
01-06-2011, 04:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zehra
I should be able to jump to warp in battle as long as my warp drive hasn't been knocked out.
I have pondered that idea as well. Unfortunately I can not find a way to make that work without exploiting the game mechanics. Such as PvP, you start taking damage, you know you are going to die, so you just warp out. This is what makes having Warp while in combat unjust. If we can find a way around this, then we might have something here.

Only thing I can think of, is perhaps on PvE missions alone, once the mission is complete, you can warp out even while engaged in combat. Who knows.
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-06-2011, 05:07 PM
I have wanted to go into full impulse in combat since open beta. This would make space combat even better and I would think a quick fix. In the shows they go into full impulse all the time in combat. We have seen them fire in warp. I just want full impulse in combat.

This would increase the fun factor in PVE and PVP a lot. So often I feel I am just creeping along and it gets frustrating. Because I don't want to go into full impulse so I don't drain my powers and make my self weaker in combat. Or burn my cool downs for a speed burst.

I think almost everyone would like this.
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-06-2011, 05:14 PM
Then the ability to go to warp while in combat should require a full drop of shields, weapon-power dropped to about 5%, and a 3-5 second "warm up" for the warp engines.

This way you have the ability to get away BUT at a cost, and possibly risk being destroyed while trying to escape because you're completely vulnerable.
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-06-2011, 06:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanford42
Then the ability to go to warp while in combat should require a full drop of shields, weapon-power dropped to about 5%, and a 3-5 second "warm up" for the warp engines.

This way you have the ability to get away BUT at a cost, and possibly risk being destroyed while trying to escape because you're completely vulnerable.
This overlooks the obvious option of being able to pursue and fight at warp... but is incompatible with being locked in a claustrophobic little box all the time.

Note that 'instancing' does NOT imply 'tiny little spaces' unless the instances are designed that way.
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-07-2011, 12:02 AM
I agree with the OP. The alert system does indeed need worked on. I'm surprised they have not done something like this already. I'm pretty sure I've read similar post before. I think the devs should look into the possibilities of doing a alert system. Would indeed add a feel to the game.
Lt. Commander
# 16
01-07-2011, 04:11 AM
I never understood the ship itself running at different alert levels.

Crew? Sure.

But Star Trek is based on the idea of a setting where the scarcity of resources has been almost eradicated by TOS and has been completely eradicated by TNG. The ship has effectively limitless power. Why wouldn't you run shields 24-7 and leave weapons armed?

Besides, I found it very, very annoying in past Trek games.

Though there's a simple game solution that doesn't involve totally dropping shields.

Have power setting pre-sets labeled as "Red Alert" (power to weapons), "Yellow Alert" (power to shields), and "Condition Green" (Full power to engines).

I find that the power settings confuse new players and would suggest that the option to tinker with them be an "Advanced" setting, hidden behind a simple three button UI.

That does mean that in-game, shields remain raised (but at low power) at "condition green" but this is a new era of Trek...k and a game whose stated purpose is to avoid being a simulator in favor of a light game friendly to new players.
Lt. Commander
# 17
01-07-2011, 04:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraiven View Post
First, who besides myself and my Fleet Mates feel that the inability to go to Full Impulse while in combat is

just...off, not canon and inhibiting to play style? Who here besides myself and my Fleet Mates feel that not

having the ability to Raise and Lower Shields on a whim is not canon and needs to have a justifiable reason

for being implemented? Well, if you are one of these people, listen up, I believe I have a viable idea that

could make this not only have an actual purpose, but make it fit closer to (but not exactly) canon.

First, we need a reason to go to Red Alert. Having a Red Alert without a proper function is just dull and a

waste of resources. So here is the idea... In order to give Red Alert a function beyond just saying, "Red

Alert" we need to give it a function and a reason for the function to go along with the name. Red Alert will

serve as one function and there will be one reason to use it. The function will be to Raise the Shields. By

calling for a Red Alert you will do two things, Raise Shields and drop out of Full Impulse. If you are in Full

Impulse, you will immediately drop out of Full Impulse and your Shields will go from being down and

completely vulnerable to being protected with Shields Charging up from 0/100 to whatever you have your

max shield setting.

This will also work in the reverse. If you are in the heat of battle, and as a Captain you know the most

important thing to do is to protect your ship and crew at all costs, and you need to get out of battle, then

you know you can go to Yellow Alert, which will Drop Shields and allow you to instantly go to Full Impulse.

This will make your ship fully vulnerable, but will also allow you the means to escape. Now we have a

reason for a Yellow Alert and a function.

This will bring a full reason for a Red Alert Function and a Yellow Alert Function. The Green Alert Function

will be the passive mode your ship will be in while in Sector Space. This gives a function and purpose for

a Red Alert and a Yellow Alert, a reason and function to Raise or Drop Shields and a diversity to the game

that not only makes it more fun to play, but also puts the game closer to canon.

So, will this idea be one that people could jump on board with, or will it be met with torches and pitchforks?

Thanks for any thoughtful consideration in advanced.

no. i want content, not pointless mechanics that have no payoff.
Lt. Commander
# 18
01-07-2011, 05:04 AM
Maybe they should modify it so it goes to Yellow alert first, then red if you're hit.

And make red alert togglable.
Lt. Commander
# 19
01-07-2011, 05:16 AM
With the exception of some PVE missions, you are fully aware that you are flying into a combat zone, against Klingons (read; invisible) no less. It stands to reason that shields would be up and weapons ready at all times.
Lt. Commander
# 20
01-07-2011, 05:36 AM
I would love if they would handle it more like in the old Academy Games.
Alert Status means also Power"drain".

Let's assume you have X Power which you can divert into Aux,Shields,Weapons, Engines.

While in:

Green Alert you can divert 240 Power into Aux and Engines. The Cap get's also raised to 215 for each.
Yellow Alert you can divert 220 Power into Aux, Engines and Shields.The Cap for each stat is set to 160.
In Red Alert you can divert 200 Power in to Aux, Engines and Shields. The Cap for each stat is 125.

You can not shoot in Yellow and Green Alert, since the weapon system is offline.
You do not have Shields in Green Alert, since this system is too, offline,.

This would provide a way deeper possibility of tactic. Consider a Sensor Scan from a Sci *sheep* in Green Alert (as long as his Aux is at this Level) extremly strong. If he switches his alert status along with his aux power the Sensor scan get's scaled Properly.

Switching Alert Levels should require around 3seconds.

Sure cryptic needs to get behind a system to cripple the over exploitable "runners" but the Academy Games had something just like that up the Phaser lanes. Destroy / Cripple Warp nacelles.

But i would love to see a more engaging way to "stop" people to go to Warp / Full impulse anytime. something that does not makes you die inside a little every-time the nacelles are magically replaced.

A Player can see if someone changes his Alert Status, something like:
Your BO says: "The Enemy has set his Alert Status to X, his Shields are offline" along a tooltip on the enemy ship / visual FX (3 seconds induction time on the alert change). Now Players can target his Impulse / Warp Engines (an extra Skill which still requires the regular weapons to be ready) to stop his "charging" and disable his Warp / Full impulse attemps for a duration (15 Seconds). While setting all your weapon cooldowns up for 5 Seconds for 20 seconds.

The regular evasive maneuver and Eng Batteries will still work.

But now people need to think if they want to *try* to stop someone from going into "warp" or not. Both players can greatly benefit if done right, or suffer the consequences. Runners get disabled and killed, "Fake" Warps can break damage. And you attemp can simply fail because all your weapons have been on cooldown thanks to spacebar wacking

You get the idea.

Full impulse does not need an overhaul that way, but WARP does. "Warping out" would mean not to leave the Map / Battelground but to be set off 60k away into the facing direction(Map edge). So more like a short "Port-Jump", all trailing target locks lose the jumper (out of focus).