Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
Question: Did you ever play Star Trek Elite Force II ?

If not, you should, because in there is the answer on how to make Start Trek environments, missions and textures.

Already the map and design of the Starfleet Academy and decks on Enterpise E early ingame could be copied one to one to STO. Even the quality of the textures and the whole warm atmosphere of the environment of this 7 years old game do a better job than STO with his blue cold sterile hospital corridor look like.. Play and learn!
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-28-2010, 07:08 AM
The onlt ST game I have ever played before STO is this one;

http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/y...C-StarTrek.jpg
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-28-2010, 07:26 AM
Elite Force 2 was nothing but wasted potential, imo. The only thing wrong with the corridors in STO, for me, is their size (width and height, not length).
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-28-2010, 07:49 AM
I shake my head at thee...

Design is not as easy as you like to think it is. I know you would like it to be as cut and dry as you protray it to be. Sorry it is not. In a perfect world everything is, well, perfect. But perfection is not part of the world you live in. Accept it.

EF2 was a FPS STO is a MMORPG. They are totally different critters with their own separate design problems. one cannot be the other. The biggest difference between the two is how the camera systems work. MMORPGs have a much more difficult to manage camera system than FPS. Also, avatar collision poses problems as well.

I doubt your complaints can or will be addressed.
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-28-2010, 05:12 PM
Yes, I agree that the planetside missions shouold have been a real first person shooter with NPC allied sprites accompany the player. I'm sure we can get easily of topic by arguing about which game engine is the best. (By the way, I like THQ's Engine for Red Faction 2).
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-29-2010, 01:54 PM
I remember when this game first came out and people said that this game was Starfleet Command. I have to agree. This game is Starfleet Command. What does that mean? For one, I've already played that game, so in a way, this one offers nothing unique. There was something about the slow-paced Starlfeet Command that made it fun, but maybe STO missed that part, or maybe I'm remembering wrong or something. Maybe what it comes down to is that a slow-paced game like that isn't fun in the long run whatsoever. All I know is that Klingons can wipe ANY Starfleet team at any time 15-0 no matter what ultra-rare super omega weapons they have.
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-29-2010, 02:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayenn
I shake my head at thee...

Design is not as easy as you like to think it is. I know you would like it to be as cut and dry as you protray it to be. Sorry it is not. In a perfect world everything is, well, perfect. But perfection is not part of the world you live in. Accept it.

EF2 was a FPS STO is a MMORPG. They are totally different critters with their own separate design problems. one cannot be the other. The biggest difference between the two is how the camera systems work. MMORPGs have a much more difficult to manage camera system than FPS. Also, avatar collision poses problems as well.

I doubt your complaints can or will be addressed.
Thanks for the voice of reason and saving me typing time.
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-29-2010, 02:20 PM
I have only played one other Star Trek game through to completion (well kind of completion I didnt have the second disk so I dont know how it ended but I did beat the first disk.). I have played others like the sega next gen game, and delta force, but the first one i mentioned was to be honest one of my favorite games (still). I dont remember the exact name for it, but it was released back in the DOS prompt days and was on a 5" floppy.

From what I remember the game play was awsome and their starship combat was something I miss in this game, though I guess it was simmilar. Essentailly the ground missions were a point and click mystery solving adventure and each mission was a new entire episode with diffrent plots and so foth.

The space battling was cool you sat on the bridge of the enterprise and you looked out the main view screen and on the radar, infront of kirk and between sulu and chekov, you would follow the movements of the enemie ships so that you could orient yourself on them and fire when you were hit you would notice the shield strength indicator above spok and scott's heads demonstrate where the shot came from, and you could even look and the enemies shield strength. If it was getting rough scotty could be ordered to throw more power into the enginges (shield boost). The was you chose your mission was on a starmap that if you selected the wrong one you would wind up on a space battle map against 1-3 romulans or klingons. awsome game even for the day.

I wish this one could make me have as much fun as that old one did back in the day... who knows perhaps with time.
Lt. Commander
# 9
12-29-2010, 03:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderchase View Post
I have only played one other Star Trek game through to completion (well kind of completion I didnt have the second disk so I dont know how it ended but I did beat the first disk.). I have played others like the sega next gen game, and delta force, but the first one i mentioned was to be honest one of my favorite games (still). I dont remember the exact name for it, but it was released back in the DOS prompt days and was on a 5" floppy.

From what I remember the game play was awsome and their starship combat was something I miss in this game, though I guess it was simmilar. Essentailly the ground missions were a point and click mystery solving adventure and each mission was a new entire episode with diffrent plots and so foth.

The space battling was cool you sat on the bridge of the enterprise and you looked out the main view screen and on the radar, infront of kirk and between sulu and chekov, you would follow the movements of the enemie ships so that you could orient yourself on them and fire when you were hit you would notice the shield strength indicator above spok and scott's heads demonstrate where the shot came from, and you could even look and the enemies shield strength. If it was getting rough scotty could be ordered to throw more power into the enginges (shield boost). The was you chose your mission was on a starmap that if you selected the wrong one you would wind up on a space battle map against 1-3 romulans or klingons. awsome game even for the day.

I wish this one could make me have as much fun as that old one did back in the day... who knows perhaps with time.
Interplay made a few origianl star trek games back in the day.
Lt. Commander
# 10
12-29-2010, 03:23 PM
They should have learned how to do camera follow target mode from Star Trek Legacy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgcqg...eature=related

Notice how the enemy is ALWAYS near the center of the screen in the video? More often than not my camera is BARELY keeping him on my screen in STO so I normally run with free camera mode & do it myself. I never really liked the mechanics of how Legacy worked, but their camera control was a class act. It's probably because the game was made for XBOX where we don't want to worry about camera movement because we have a limited controller. If this game had balanced weapons differently, and had the ability to reassign keys it would have been great.