Lt. Commander
Will the Foundry impose a maximum limit on a player's published missions?

Update: There are a significant array of opinions and suggestions of how such an issue can be addressed. I am not sure if I should provide a summary on this Opening Post, but at least for now people can be aware that there is some good content in here and important things that the Developer team, we hope, will be considering.

Additionally, it is slightly dis-heartening that the thread was moved to the Foundry forums considering the importance of the issue. However, it was posted in the more traffic-prone forums for that reason and its banishment to the Foundry forums can not be argued on.

Thanks

I would hate to think that people would be limited to eight or so missions (as some reported in the Foundry forums). There is so much content to create - admittedly many of us are exciting as you Developers are. So please ensure we have no glass ceiling? Can the servers handle hundreds of missions being created?

I think the future of the Foundry is reliant on it's ability to cater for the creative mission author who not only publishes missions which appeal to the greater audience but also will publish those stranger missions which will not garner such public support or attention (much like many mid-season StarTrek series episodes).

However, given the current situation on Tribble for there being a limit (seemingly) on the about of missions player can publish - this means we may end up with a situation which leaves the community with two options for making more content:

- Buy slots from the C-Store;
- Attain specific goals through your missions to qualify for more slots (i.e. highly rated, reviewed, played etc)

This would impact the image and nature of the Foundry, in my opinion, not to mention the quality and nature of the missions that will be available on the Foundry (i.e. why create 8 oddball but entertaining missions filled with appealing stuff if they have no chance of being as highly received or rated, or reviewed as a Michael Bay - style action mission with explosions?)

Thanks for any Developer or Community Manager reply.

Let us make the Foundry the best it can be.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-06-2011, 02:18 AM
Yes. 10char.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-06-2011, 02:34 AM
yes there will be a limit and there has to be a limit.

i do hope the limit can be upped from 8 and i hope there are other ways to get slots.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-06-2011, 02:45 AM
i smell a c-store purchase coming on :p
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-06-2011, 02:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormoran View Post
i smell a c-store purchase coming on :p
800 points for an extra Mission slot? :p

Joking aside, it's understandable. These missions aren't very "public" in that you can just contact a mission goer. Plus there'll be hundreds. All taking up server space.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-06-2011, 03:15 AM
Ok, do you know if it is per character, per account?

I mean depending on how the Foundry update handles mission arcs/series 8 seems very .. restrictive. i.e. One series... and not a means to create content on

Klingons, Ferengi, [Insert others], Starship occurances, Diplomatic mission, Exploration, Battles, etc

I guess if it was a C-store transaction to buy more 'slots' it would really ... put a different twist on the Foundry, at least in my eyes. Not to say that I wouldn't buy those slots. Still, it is kind of sad.

Perhaps a more generous limit... *cough* 30 *cough*
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-06-2011, 03:20 AM
I imagine it will work akin to character slots - per account and if you want more you buy them.

*edit to add* After all the missions one publishes are associated with their @handle not their characters name.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-06-2011, 04:44 AM
Given the lack of content a VA, I'm fairly amazed to hear there's a mission-limit for authors. A limit for poorly-rated missions might be something good, but what about the genuis-mission-maker type that hits the limit with 8 highly rated missions?
Lt. Commander
# 9 I'm astounded
01-06-2011, 04:52 AM
This means the best authors out there will complete their 8 missions, have them all highly rated and reviewed, and then be unable to ever create another mission without deleting a mission that hundreds of people have given the highest rating to, potentially then? But the worst authors who still have a slot open will be able to continue to make bad ones until they hit 8? Sounds like a recipe for the overall quality of missions going into the toilet. Please tell me this isn't going to happen.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-06-2011, 05:16 AM
All us Spocks think alike, but we're right.