Lt. Commander
# 11
01-06-2011, 05:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormoran View Post
i smell a c-store purchase coming on :p
It could be time based, like a veteran reward. E.g. Each month you stay with the game, you get an extra mission slot. That way, people could at least put something new out each month.
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-06-2011, 05:30 AM
i would not panic yet. first off 8 is not set in stone.

there is also the very strong possibility that that other free slots can be earned by things like veteran rewards or they mentioned maybe via having highly rated missions , so the best authors get more free slots.

c-store is the last resort but i highly doubt we will be limited to 8, and thats it.
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-06-2011, 05:40 AM
I'm looking forward to the Foundry going live, and have been planning out storylines ready to put into action once it hits Holodeck. I have antagonists, supporting characters, and locations all planned out to create an enjoyable story arc that hopefully others could use as an alternate means of levelling. My initial plan was to eventually try and create enough of these story arcs, perhaps with one over-arching theme, to enable a player to level to 51 doing them.

However, limiting me to 8 missions is going to effectively kill most of my plans. There should be a system in place where if your mission receives above a certain rating, it frees up another slot. Therefore if your 8 missions ALL receive above a certain rating, you have 8 more slots to use. This enables people who create enjoyable and popular missions to continue using their creativity to better the game (and they will be doing that, don't doubt it for a moment) and restrict those who put out a bunch of ill thought out dross from being able to spam up the listings.

One thing I will say is this: If extra mission slots are only attainable by a purchase from the C-Store, I will drop this idea faster than the proverbial hot potato. I will not spend my money over and above the monthly fee to create things that may well help Cryptic.
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-06-2011, 05:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzHawkeye View Post
Given the lack of content a VA, I'm fairly amazed to hear there's a mission-limit for authors. A limit for poorly-rated missions might be something good, but what about the genuis-mission-maker type that hits the limit with 8 highly rated missions?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakkar View Post
This means the best authors out there will complete their 8 missions, have them all highly rated and reviewed, and then be unable to ever create another mission without deleting a mission that hundreds of people have given the highest rating to, potentially then? But the worst authors who still have a slot open will be able to continue to make bad ones until they hit 8? Sounds like a recipe for the overall quality of missions going into the toilet. Please tell me this isn't going to happen.
Valid points. I hope that a high rating automatically entitles a user to more slots so a good mission editor can create more good content. If they get voted 8 or above on average for a mission, it should open up a new slot for them automatically.

For example: If this is done by an average 8 or better vote given by, at least 20 players.

That rewards the good editors while keeping the poor missions to a minimum. Hopefully, the missions will be moderated and ones that are given a very poor rating will be removed, giving space for the better ones.
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-06-2011, 05:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daevian
One thing I will say is this: If extra mission slots are only attainable by a purchase from the C-Store, I will drop this idea faster than the proverbial hot potato. I will not spend my money over and above the monthly fee to create things that may well help Cryptic.
Very true, they should be paying you if anything. I posted before reading your post and it seems we have the same idea about votes freeing up slots. Reward the better editors like that and it will benefit all of us, Cryptic included.
Lt. Commander
# 16
01-06-2011, 07:49 AM
Yes, they will.

However, I've already made the following suggestions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
Here are some suggested methods of unlocking more mission slots in the Foundry:
  • Merit-based: if you have a mission with X many reviews and an average at or over 4 stars, you get a slot per qualifying mission. This has the biggest potential for abuse: some players might unjustly rate a mission higher to help people unlock.

• Time-based: the longer you've played Foundry missions as a reviewer (excluding your own), the more mission unlocks you get.

• Veteran-based: the longer you've been a subscriber, the more mission slots you get. Think of it as an additional veteran reward.

• Endgame-based: reviewing missions at endgame means unlocking more slots. To prevent abuse via speedrunning missions, let players take this unlock as a daily or weekly.

• Accolade-based: trade accolade points for more slots! (i.e. allocate 1200/1620 points toward mission slots)

• As a last resort, for people that reach the new caps created by the above in-game methods, add a C-store alternative (but only available if you hit your cap).

I believe the following methods (in combination) would benefit the game in the following way:
More mission would be reviewed, leading toward a more active user-base of fellow authors helping guide new users in making missions better.

I know the last one isn't popular but adding any of the previous in-game/free methods would mean that it would be more palatable.
Lt. Commander
# 17
01-06-2011, 07:55 AM
Yes, there is a limit, simply due to hardware considerations. We can't have a troll clogging up the system with 45 scan the tree missions that bury all the good ones. Cryptic has to limit it somehow. But, they also stated that they are brainstorming ways to give authors additional slots. Predictably, that will be a cash grab that marketing will think is a stellar idea. Our devs will have to deal with the backlash.
Lt. Commander
# 18
01-06-2011, 07:57 AM
There will most likely be a mission limit, alone because missions cost server space and they don't have infinite amounts of it, or the infinite amounts of money for it.

I think it might help the quality of missions to have some type of limit. People can't just pump out stuff endlessly, they have to prioritize which stories they really want to tell, and work them out well.

If you think of multi-part missions - consider that missions don't ahve to be short affairs. You can do stuff that's way longer then 3 Exploration missions in a row (and with more story and unique aspects, too).

Though in the end, there have to be ways to expand the limit. Even if it's via the C-Store.
Lt. Commander
# 19
01-06-2011, 08:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
Though in the end, there have to be ways to expand the limit. Even if it's via the C-Store.
I understand the need to limit, but it really would be a slap in the face for Cryptic to ask authors to pay for the privilege of adding content to their content-lite game, on top of paying a monthly sub.

There needs to be an alternative to the c-store that rewards good authors, not punishing them with price tags.
Lt. Commander
# 20
01-06-2011, 08:01 AM
yea I was going to say the rating one has a potential for abuse. After all anyone can go tell all their fleetmates to go 5 star them. Especially if as many missions come out as one expects. Maybe a really cheap c-store option? 50 cryptic points a slot?

ok maybe thats just really cheap for me,but i dont know. people have said you dont feel like doing work for cryptics work for them. Personally I think you are thinking incorrectly. The things i create are for the community. I am more than willing to pay to help my own irl community and Im the same online. Hence the donations to ED, my fleet, and other things. AND i get to support the company thats allowing me to try my creativity? I like it. Though I would prefer if there were more options for the poorer people amongst us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkfat View Post
I understand the need to limit, but it really would be a slap in the face for Cryptic to ask authors to pay for the privilege of adding content to their content-lite game, on top of paying a monthly sub.

There needs to be an alternative to the c-store that rewards good authors, not punishing them with price tags.

As for this. Who decides whats good authors? The community? People? Everyone who genuinely attempts this is a good author in my eyes I dont care about cannon, writing ability, or map layout. You call it a slap in the face. I call it a blessing they didnt go coh and give us the what they have over there but ofcourse I am a duck. we arent know for our brilliance.

fu%&ing daffy