Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 21 How about gifts?
01-06-2011, 08:06 AM
How about if those of us who don't want to make missions be allowed to donate or gift one or more of our Foundry mission slots to a top ranked author so he/she can continue to make new missions?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 22
01-06-2011, 08:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakkar View Post
How about if those of us who don't want to make missions be allowed to donate or gift one or more of our Foundry mission slots to a top ranked author so he/she can continue to make new missions?

Now that sounds good. If a person is truly good, you give up one of your slots for them. If in the future you want a slot. you either

make a great mission with the slots you have remaining to get gifted another slot. or
buy in c-store.
or maybe 100 emblems? something.

We gotta give em ideas and good ones. Im reasonably sure marketings eyes have dollar signs on em sooo lets get at it.

Darn I really like it.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 23
01-06-2011, 08:17 AM
Unfortunately, that's as abusable as the rating system. A fleet designates someone who is their "chief writer" and members donate one slot each to this person. Then you have someone with a lot of slots who isn't necessarily a good content creator. And, of course, we all know there are certain groups of players who will actively seek to irritate others in any way possible just for their own selfish amusement.

A review system is the only really fair way. A quick star rating pop-up at the end of a mission coupled with tracking the number of unique accounts that play the mission and rate it highly should eliminate most of the potential for abuse, and let's face it you're never going to create a system that works 100% anyway.

And while I appreciate the argument that you are creating content for the community, it is Cryptic that benefits financially from this creation whether you have in mind the community or not. If your content helps keep players subbed to the game because they are enjoying it, Cryptic is reaping the benefits of your creative talent. Asking people to buy more mission slots from the C-Store so they can continue to provide you content that may actually be benefitting you financially already is, as someone mentioned, a slap in the face.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 24
01-06-2011, 08:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakkar View Post
How about if those of us who don't want to make missions be allowed to donate or gift one or more of our Foundry mission slots to a top ranked author so he/she can continue to make new missions?
I was just about to suggest this very thing {glad I read the whole thread first lol}. While I can personally give a rats ass either way about UGC...I do agree with limitations and fairness to all that wish to participate. Since it is highly unlikely that I will participate in UGC in any way, shape, or form...I would be more than happy to gift slots to a close friend that really gets into it.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 25
01-06-2011, 08:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daevian
Unfortunately, that's as abusable as the rating system. A fleet designates someone who is their "chief writer" and members donate one slot each to this person. Then you have someone with a lot of slots who isn't necessarily a good content creator. And, of course, we all know there are certain groups of players who will actively seek to irritate others in any way possible just for their own selfish amusement.

A review system is the only really fair way. A quick star rating pop-up at the end of a mission coupled with tracking the number of unique accounts that play the mission and rate it highly should eliminate most of the potential for abuse, and let's face it you're never going to create a system that works 100% anyway.

And while I appreciate the argument that you are creating content for the community, it is Cryptic that benefits financially from this creation whether you have in mind the community or not. If your content helps keep players subbed to the game because they are enjoying it, Cryptic is reaping the benefits of your creative talent. Asking people to buy more mission slots from the C-Store so they can continue to provide you content that may actually be benefitting you financially already is, as someone mentioned, a slap in the face.
I dont get your point. I never said dont use the review system Im just saying having the option to buy slots Is not a slap in the face.

I dont complain when redcross uses my donations to advertise to get more donations. Plus they are reaping it because I am giving it knowing the end use will be my community can enjoy them *or not xD*
At the end of tge day you seem to forget people still have to sub to play the content so they still reap the benefits. The problem is that they currently dont seem to be giving you enough for what some dedicated creators want.


Actually what are we talking about abuse because of rating system. If the mission "sucks" wont we just ignore works by said author irregardless of if he has 5 thingies or a dozen?
you knwo somewhat like the realworld. You write a great book pulbisher will tell u write more and people will gobble it up. you write crap doesnt matter how much people *chances are* will not give a hoot.


argghhh im supposed to be in infected right now.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 26
01-06-2011, 08:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzHawkeye View Post
Given the lack of content a VA, I'm fairly amazed to hear there's a mission-limit for authors. A limit for poorly-rated missions might be something good, but what about the genuis-mission-maker type that hits the limit with 8 highly rated missions?
Not certain if this is how they will do it here, but IIRC in CoX anyone can submit their UGC story arc for a chance to become a "Developer's Choice" mission. If selected as a "Developer's Choice", the author gets an additional few story slots for free. It's an incentive for the author's out there to craft good stories.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 27
01-06-2011, 08:28 AM
And you're confusing me :p

You say that people have to pay the sub to play the content, and that's exactly my point. If you, as a mission creator, are creating content that people want to play and may even stay actively subbed to do so, you are providing value to Cryptic. To then say "You can't provide us any more value unless you pay us some more money" IS a slap in the face, as if you are helping them retain subscribers you are already doing them a service.

Please explain if I'm getting lost here, but we seem to be talking about the same thing? I enjoy a good discussion so by all means point out how it isn't a slap in the face.

In summary, assuming a good mission Creator:

Good missions = more good content to play = reason to stay subbed = more money for Cryptic.

To then turn around and ask for even more money from the Creator, who is already paying you a monthly sub AND helping to keep other people do the same, just seems like a Bad Idea.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 28
01-06-2011, 08:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daevian
And while I appreciate the argument that you are creating content for the community, it is Cryptic that benefits financially from this creation whether you have in mind the community or not. If your content helps keep players subbed to the game because they are enjoying it, Cryptic is reaping the benefits of your creative talent. Asking people to buy more mission slots from the C-Store so they can continue to provide you content that may actually be benefitting you financially already is, as someone mentioned, a slap in the face.
There are also costs Cryptic has to invest to make a UGC system viable. You can't expect them as a business to just eat those expenses so you can have an unlimited amount of story slots.

Each account will get several free story slots to use, and I'll bet money there will be ways for author's with highly rated stories to earn additional slots for free.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 29
01-06-2011, 08:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakkar View Post
This means the best authors out there will complete their 8 missions, have them all highly rated and reviewed, and then be unable to ever create another mission without deleting a mission that hundreds of people have given the highest rating to, potentially then? But the worst authors who still have a slot open will be able to continue to make bad ones until they hit 8? Sounds like a recipe for the overall quality of missions going into the toilet. Please tell me this isn't going to happen.
Pretty much my thoughts. I would hate to think that some of the best missions people have made would eventually have to be deleted to make room for more. But the reality is, Cryptic simply cant allow unlimited missions for data storage reasons. So what is the solution BUT the C-store?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Revo
i would not panic yet. first off 8 is not set in stone.
Exactly who is "panicking"? Or are you just exagerating to make a point? Anyway, its best to let the Devs know how we feel before this decision is made rather than after. Its always harder to get things changed after they come out than before.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 30
01-06-2011, 08:34 AM
Are we not all inherently helping them make more money? I know people who are subbed just because their friends are subbed. is it a slap in the face to said friends when cryptic releases things to the c-store? ok im somewhat grasping at straws.

i guess i find very few things a slap in the face. correction. I cant think up anything thats a slap in the face.

How about this. They are asking money so they can keep adding to the foundry? Doesnt it take people from somewhere else to keep the foundry going good? or did they hire new people do that?

and by adding i mean bugfixes and maps and all that stuff

and honestlywhat was i writing here?
and this is just meand here?

If an author is really and truly good. I mean mother$R%^ $%^&*%^&* %^&*& good. I will donate money so he can buy it. This is ofcourse assuming its c-store only. Which I hope not. I just hope its an option. He better live near me or have paypal though
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:42 PM.