Lt. Commander
# 1 An integrated browser?
01-05-2011, 02:30 PM
Okay, there are other problems with greater priority, but I'd like an integrated browser to the game.

Dear Devs, this is something that NO MMO game has, and I believe that it's something EVERY MMO needs. In fact, any game NEEDS an integrated browser.

There are several solutions, such as the Rogue browser, Xfire, the Steam integrated browser, but I was talking about something better: a browser that opens and superimposes itself over the UI. Your Cruiser moves from one end of the B'Tran cluster to the other, and you can check your e-mails.

Well, I said it...
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-05-2011, 02:37 PM
Eve has an integrated browser and as I recall so does SWG and Everquest 2. Eve kinda needs one though for those long runs through highsec without cargo.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-05-2011, 08:24 PM
The web-browser in Eve Online works very well (compared to their older browser). It does not have flash support which is the only thing thats (arguably) bad.

I loved being able to order pizza from inside my game.

This would give a nice.. 'plus' for people to log into the game (they could take a break from a mission and wiki search or read up on their fleet forums ingame etc.

Perhaps in the far future this might be on the table.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-06-2011, 08:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitris_Botonis
There are several solutions, such as the Rogue browser, Xfire, the Steam integrated browser, but I was talking about something better: a browser that opens and superimposes itself over the UI.
But... that's exactly what the Steam browser does?

I don't find it a big issue. I run with Windowed-Maximized video setting so it's easy to alt+tab back and forth with my browser. Devs would likely have issues with zoning: traveling from Sirius to ESD they would have to maintain your browser or somehow make the loading not interfere with your browsing. Plus they'll have issues with integrating a browser, and supporting the browser plugins (e.g., Flash) & JavaScript such that they don't crash the browser and/or your game.

Honestly, I appreciate the idea, but I don't see it happening. There are already solutions (as you pointed out) and it doesn't add much (if anything) to the gameplay.