Lt. Commander
It seems that people are not putting much originality into their design.

Exhibit A, the highest rated ship as of right now.

Design 1140

This is an Excalibur class vessel. The original design can be seen here. Given the authors E-mail, I think we can be relatively sure that it is not Kevin Matthews.

覧覧

Exhibit B, Design 1162.

This one is taken from a Ships of the Line Calendar, as you can see from the calendar in the bottom-right corner. The author's name is also in the bottom left, but I can't make it out.

覧覧

This one's already been posted about, but it reinforces the point. DJ Curtis's beautiful Enterprise F was posted a couple times in the contest a while back.

Please, if you submit a ship, make it original and don't steal. People can design original starships. The Luna Class that is in this game was designed in a contest hosted by Paramount by Sean Tourangeau. Put some effort and creativity into these designs.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-06-2011, 09:59 AM
This has been pointed out and talked about quite a lot, in many threads. Cryptic apparently has no control over the website, and the people who do - Intel - doesn't care enough to police the site, or even fix the laundry list of bugs it has.

In before mods hide this in the sub forum of a sub form that most people never bothers to look in.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-06-2011, 10:43 AM
Yea people need to actualy design there entries. Im hoping to get mine done in time to submit
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-06-2011, 10:46 AM
I'm hoping (perhaps naively perhaps not) that when judging time comes that the infringements and ridiculous designs will be the first to get flushed.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-07-2011, 12:21 AM
I'd have to agree with you on this. I even saw a serenity class ship from the TV show Firefly in the list of high rated. I mean, seriously? The other part that gets my goat is people who take an existing ship class and stretch certain proportions and kitbash. It's a sad day when entries like that make the cut. Creativity is void in contests like this, apparently.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-07-2011, 01:01 AM
Don't worry guys, I'm sure as soon as the voting period begins, those responsible for this contest website will remove the Fake Entries, the Multiple Entries (lots of people doing more than 1 entry), and the plagarisms.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-07-2011, 02:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekky0623 View Post
覧覧

Exhibit B, Design 1162.

This one is taken from a Ships of the Line Calendar, as you can see from the calendar in the bottom-right corner. The author's name is also in the bottom left, but I can't make it out.

覧覧
That is the Vesta Class; USS Aventine; Ezri Dax' ship... I seem to recall mention that it was in the works anyways. But I could be mistaken.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-07-2011, 03:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish-Fury View Post
That is the Vesta Class; USS Aventine; Ezri Dax' ship... I seem to recall mention that it was in the works anyways. But I could be mistaken.
you are correct and seeing that ship is already on the "to be added to game" list I doubt it will do any harm

I also know of several other great artist who's ships have been placed in the contest by others.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-07-2011, 03:53 AM
It's despicable, trying to pass someone else's hard work off as your own. Not only that it's downright illegal. Any who've submitted plaigarised entries should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of copyright law.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-07-2011, 04:00 AM
i guess one of the many problems why people do this is because only US citizens are able to win anything, so why take this joke of a website serious if you can't even win.

i'm in germany, i wanted to submit something, the site did not hinder me to do so, did not even ask for my adress or anything. of course it is spammed by the rest of the world that just wants to show off the ships they want.