Lt. Commander
# 11
01-07-2011, 11:28 AM
I don't want to be a fleet admiral, or a regular admiral. I want to be a CAPTAIN.

But if I did, then this would be a good idea.
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-07-2011, 12:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
To clarify my comment:
I would not enjoy seeing boffs simply stuck to ships and following us around in a daisy chain.

However, i would like to assign my BOFFs in their ships on missions - stuff like charting "exploring strange, new worlds, seeking out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before..."
To echo Darren, I feel that being able to assign these Captains to other missions, most likely off screen, would add a new game play type. They could be an alternate form of daily with a unique reward. Maybe the reward is tied to the new crew systems or maybe it is a device.

What does not interest me at all is playing as these other captains. I have one real character, who is an Admiral, and I would like to keep it that way.

STO needs new repeatable and engaging game play elements. Adding in small fleet management systems would go a long way to making my character feel less like a glorified Ensign and more like an Admiral.
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-07-2011, 07:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPJappic View Post
I don't want to be forced to play like a 'fleet captain'. To me, that's not very Trek like. The shows have always mostly been about the Captains (Archer, Kirk , Picard, Sisko, and Janeway)
I understand your position, but on the other hand Picard was a fleet captain. One example that comes to mind is First Contact when the Enterprise enter the Battle of 001, the Admirals ship is destroyed and Picard assumes command of the fleet. I am sure he has done it at various occasions too when there has been multiple ships involved.

The thing is though, once you go past Captain and into the Admiral ranks, there is no real change. Your BoFF's are no longer promoted so you really don't access any new skills for 20+ levels. They need a seperate mechanic to make people want to play past Rear Admiral Lower, and by giving them other ships to command like BoFF mechanics are now for the ground it does shake up the game play once again.

Personally I would of been happy trying to make it to Captain and staying there, but we have the Admiral ranks in game and I don't see them going anywhere so why not make them exciting?

I came up with a concept a couple of weeks back that I got player feedback on and we had come up with a decent system, it would be good to have other opinions on the idea: http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=195481
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-07-2011, 09:08 PM
Quote:
<- wants more substantial gameplay than BOFFs in space.
BOffs in space would be more than we have now, though.

The ability to manage an offscreen fleet might be all well and good, but why exactly is that better than being able to have them onscreen sometimes, too?

And aside from the possibiliy of them being diet alts and actually going and doing their missions, with a full set of crew and skills - which I can't see happening, given the justifications made for the paucity of character slots to begin with - I don't really see that as adding to gameplay, either.

It'd also provide a way to actually advance starship capabilities past tier 5 without making tier 5 ships and everything that's been done to them irrelevant, along with a way to actually weaker ships relevant and present at higher tiers without making them nonsensical.
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-08-2011, 02:40 AM
Quote:
I understand your position, but on the other hand Picard was a fleet captain. One example that comes to mind is First Contact when the Enterprise enter the Battle of 001, the Admirals ship is destroyed and Picard assumes command of the fleet. I am sure he has done it at various occasions too when there has been multiple ships involved.

The thing is though, once you go past Captain and into the Admiral ranks, there is no real change. Your BoFF's are no longer promoted so you really don't access any new skills for 20+ levels. They need a seperate mechanic to make people want to play past Rear Admiral Lower, and by giving them other ships to command like BoFF mechanics are now for the ground it does shake up the game play once again.

Personally I would of been happy trying to make it to Captain and staying there, but we have the Admiral ranks in game and I don't see them going anywhere so why not make them exciting?

I came up with a concept a couple of weeks back that I got player feedback on and we had come up with a decent system, it would be good to have other opinions on the idea: http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=195481
This is pretty much the direction I had hoped the game would go in from open beta(once I had a chance to see how the rank system worked). The bottom line is, once you becomes an Admiral you are in command of more then one ship. That is how it works on real life and in the shows and movies. Why should we ignore it in a role playing environment like STO? I couldn't care less about promoting a Boff to an alt character. I actually think it is a horrible idea and a bad waste of development time. If I wanted another character, I'd make one. I know it's a bit of a chore to start form scratch, but a lot of changes and updates have been made to the early missions. Besides, I have forgotten the details of a lot of those early missions anyway.
Lt. Commander
# 16
01-08-2011, 02:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidheadjax View Post
BOffs in space would be more than we have now, though.

The ability to manage an offscreen fleet might be all well and good, but why exactly is that better than being able to have them onscreen sometimes, too?

And aside from the possibiliy of them being diet alts and actually going and doing their missions, with a full set of crew and skills - which I can't see happening, given the justifications made for the paucity of character slots to begin with - I don't really see that as adding to gameplay, either.

It'd also provide a way to actually advance starship capabilities past tier 5 without making tier 5 ships and everything that's been done to them irrelevant, along with a way to actually weaker ships relevant and present at higher tiers without making them nonsensical.
I just have bad visions in my head of "here we go 'round the asteroid bush" and my boffs getting stuck like it's a conga line and if they try real hard, they can all move through the asteroid.
Lt. Commander
# 17
01-08-2011, 02:47 AM
Quote:
I just have bad visions in my head of "here we go 'round the asteroid bush" and my boffs getting stuck like it's a conga line and if they try real hard, they can all move through the asteroid.

Well. The Artificial Idiocy in the NPCs is a problem
Lt. Commander
# 18
01-08-2011, 02:48 AM
You're a suit... A high level officer sitting on the heavy end, sucking of the accomplishments of low end officers.

BTW: Once they raise the level cap to Fleet Admiral, you will probably get your wish.
Lt. Commander
# 19
01-08-2011, 02:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidheadjax View Post

Well. The Artificial Idiocy in the NPCs is a problem
I choose you, Read Admiral Lower Half Sulu!
*boff ship pops out of asteroid*
SULU!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's my other concern.
Lt. Commander
# 20
01-08-2011, 03:02 AM
Quote:
I choose you, Read Admiral Lower Half Sulu!
*boff ship pops out of asteroid*
SULU!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's my other concern.
I'm not quite sure what potential problem you're alluding to, but the reference amuses me.