Lt. Commander
# 1 Request: No More Weeklies
01-06-2011, 06:59 PM
I've been giving this more and more thought, and I'd love to see Cryptic stop putting so many resources and people into weekly episodes.

Yes, I love the weeklies too, but it makes more sense to focus on the big picture items, especially since UGC and the Foundry will soon deliver an endless supply of new content for the playerbase. While players have tons of new stuff to do on a weekly basis, the devs can combine the full resources to things like:

The camera tools, episode remastering, and cinematics.
An exploration revamp that really changes the endgame content.
PVP overhaul.
Ground combat overhaul.
The crew system.
Crafting.
A unique gameplay for Admirals (like Fleets or something)
and other overhauls that are really needed.

These weekly episodes are fun, but the replay value is limited. Why not focus instead on the big ideas, the game changers, the overhauls, the upgrades?

UGC gives the devs a unique opportunity: What can be done without worrying about new content on a specific date? What can be done that will REALLY make a difference, beyond satisfying the playerbase for a few hours?

Instead of pooling resources to meet a hectic schedule, make some big changes that affect the game as a whole.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-06-2011, 07:01 PM
I don't know, I like replaying 'Spin the wheel'. Takes like 6 mins tops to run through the whole thing and you get good XP from it that scales with your level. New content is more important than feature overhauls at this stage.

p.s. And it's most likely that the whole series is complete before they release the first episode. I doubt very seriously they're on some 'hectic' schedule to do them as you describe.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-06-2011, 07:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zehra
New content is more important than feature overhauls at this stage.
those two aren't necessarily mutually exclusive.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-06-2011, 07:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
those two aren't necessarily mutually exclusive.
Oh I agree, but the OP implies that by having weekly content that these other things are being pushed off and I was pointing out that IF that was the case, that new content should have priority.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-06-2011, 07:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zehra
Oh I agree, but the OP implies that by having weekly content that these other things are being pushed off and I was pointing out that IF that was the case, that new content should have priority.
I'm not saying that it's completely pushed to the side, but the resources certainly aren't pooled. One guy, Gozer, is doing the remastered. Other small teams are doing other stuff. In the meantime, it seems that all kinds of people have to coordinate to get a weekly done. Why not use everyone for the big stuff for awhile?
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-06-2011, 07:06 PM
No, honestly I have been thinking lately about how they are putting little things to the side to make way for the big changes that I don't care about. (Yes it is an opinion matter, but so is yours)

Little things have fallen to the wayside due to the FOundry, and various revamps and plans of revamps. Little things that would have added so many just cool details that would have made the game for me.

The weeklies are currently, my favorite thing Cryptic is doing. If they stop I am going to get board really fast. The foundry may help a little, but as I have said so many other times, I want to play the excellently done cryptic episodes, not the "same gameplay but with different words and costumes" missions created by fans. (Not fans fault but that is basically all the tools allow for)
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-06-2011, 07:14 PM
Personally, I think that big features I'd like are more programmer, ui artist oriented, while the weeklies are more cahracter/ship artist and content-team oriented.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-06-2011, 07:17 PM
Theyre not really weekly anyway.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-06-2011, 07:17 PM
No thanks. I hope the weeklies (Featured Episodes) continue for a long time. They totaly rejuvinated 'my' game experience and gave me something to look forward to every week (or so). I am not looking forward to wearing my gumboots while wading through the Foundry while holding my nose. :p
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-06-2011, 07:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkfat View Post

The camera tools, episode remastering, and cinematics.
An exploration revamp that really changes the endgame content.
PVP overhaul.
Ground combat overhaul.
The crew system.
Crafting.
A unique gameplay for Admirals (like Fleets or something)
and other overhauls that are really needed.
I don't think those people would be the same that work on Missions.