Lt. Commander
# 1 Random fleet invites
01-06-2011, 09:35 PM
Hi everyone!

My wife and I got the game over Christmas and we have been totally sucked in! We are still basically noobs getting to know our way around, but so far we really like what we see.

That said, I have a quick question regarding Fleets, and specifically the way we both keep getting random invites to join various fleets. We come from playing Everquest II a lot, and in that game random guild invites are considered very rude, and are usually to be ignored. Is this the same in STO?

Also, is there a way to check out a fleet to see if you want to join in? In EQII, most of the big guilds have their own websites, and you can also look up their stats online. Joining a fleet is something we will probably do eventually, but its important to get into the right kind of guild for the player you are. Having a way to check out a fleet would be essential to that.

Thank you!

-T
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-06-2011, 09:38 PM
First, yes random invites are rude.

second, you can search/browse fleets through the social tab ("O"). They should have labels for language, playstyle, and a few other categories, along with a recruitment message and website (if the fleet has one).
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-06-2011, 09:39 PM
I agree it's very rude.

There is a section in the forums for fleet advertisement.

Happy hunting.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-06-2011, 09:41 PM
I never get random fleet invites... Random friend invites aplenty however.
Le sad.

I usually leave them there for a week or something until the person remove their own request. HAH!
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-06-2011, 09:43 PM
Wow, some people are really sensitive. I get them fairly often, but I dont consider it "rude" just because someone invites me to join their fleet. Good grief
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-06-2011, 09:45 PM
Might also check out the fleet area just off the main forum page as well and see what you can find there also in lieu of looking through the social tab in-game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Wow, some people are really sensitive. I get them fairly often, but I dont consider it "rude" just because someone invites me to join their fleet. Good grief
It's part of the whole online gaming etiquette list of do's and don'ts, just like a general list of good table manners.

Random fleet invites and random group invites (also known by the other name if memory serves as blind invites) are generally considered things you just "don't do" I think by a majority of online game players for various reasons.

For one reason off the top of my head such as it can be considered very annoying to have to stop what you are doing to click off a menu planted right smack in the middle of your screen blocking out what you are trying to see or do.

Now imagine if say 30 people started spamming you invites and you were constantly having to close menus.
Suppose you were right in the middle of a boss fight in a raid.

I do consider it rude, but it does not rise to the level of auto ignore for me unless I am getting spammed with invites from the person in which case you will get the free trip to the ignore list if you keep it up.
I generally just click decline and move on.

I prefer a tell first as it does not get in the way of what I am doing and it shows to me you have a genuine interest in wanting me to join your group or fleet that you went that extra step to at least say hello and that you were being considerate of what ever I might be doing at the time.
Such as taking into consideration that I might be in the middle of setting my gear up or in the middle of a fight that I may need my full attention for and etc.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-06-2011, 09:47 PM
Yup, it is rude.

Believe there's an option to auto-decline them though.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-06-2011, 09:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Well, it doesnt honestly bother me *that* much. I was more concerned that I might be ticking off people by automatically ignoring all of the invites.

-T
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-06-2011, 10:06 PM
I think any invite that does not include a quick tell asking first is rude. I usually give the invite the same amount of attention to to politeness that the sender applied to me....I ignore it.

On the other hand, if someone sends me a tell asking if I am interested, I politely tell them my answer and may even strike up a conversation and a friendship.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-06-2011, 10:40 PM
It's very rude. Also how good can a fleet actually be if they just let anyone join?