Lt. Commander
# 1 Request: Wandering Borg
01-06-2011, 10:33 PM
You know, nothing makes me want to just turn off the game more than being unavoidably ganked by 60 borg ships. In the Borg DSEs, there are often groups of 20+ borg ships, and often in the respawn area to boot. This means it's pretty much impossible to fight back (no shields, no abilities, no weapons and a deluge of tractor beams so you can't move either), and it's impossible to warp out because as soon as you respawn, you're in combat.

Thus, I have the following suggestions.

1. No more enemies in the respawn area. They MUST be far enough away that we can leave if we want to.
2. Let's space out the Borg ships better. They're so close together that they overlap each other. It's not very realistic and it's not much fun to fight against.

Better yet, do away with DSEs entirely, as they currently exist, and come up with a better system of random encounters. Perhaps a variation of the exploration cluster events.

Anyway, another 2 cents.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-07-2011, 12:13 AM
Unfortunately the whole reason those fleets are in existence is due to the numerous amount of people who would sit at spawn points while other people worked hard to get exp and have to share it with those who did nothing. I agree that these fleets are massively annoying, but they are a necessary evil at the present time.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-07-2011, 04:49 AM
Resistance is Futile!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armitageman View Post
people who would sit at spawn points while other people worked hard to get exp and have to share it with those who did nothing.
You mean the people who went AFK while traveling in Sector Space per Auto Pilot and got pulled into one of these annoying DSE's while beeing AFK, only to warp out when they come back?

And working hard?
With the normal difficulty that is set in DSE's it is more like playing a Screensaver then actually fighting for your survival. Maybe if you aggro 3 groups it get's intresting.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-07-2011, 04:58 AM
Use Polarize Hull Plating or Attack Pattern Omega to break tractors and Evasive Maneuvers/Deuterium Tanks to get away.
Problem solved.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-07-2011, 06:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valenn View Post
Use Polarize Hull Plating or Attack Pattern Omega to break tractors and Evasive Maneuvers/Deuterium Tanks to get away.
Problem solved.
Except for the two loading screens and general interruption.

Worst wandering monster implementation ever. It's like an old JRPG, but doesn't even have the courtesy to wait and be turn-based.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-07-2011, 07:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidheadjax View Post
Worst wandering monster implementation ever. It's like an old JRPG, but doesn't even have the courtesy to wait and be turn-based.

Not bad, not bad.

But yeah, DSEs should be reworked. Instead of these horrible "get pulled into an empty area with 500 enemy ships" I'd much prefer generic custom instanced encounters with single ships or small squadrons that just take a bit longer to beat. Make it feel a little more like in the series and reserve the really big epic battles for proper missions like in "Divide et Impera".

It should even be possible to get pulled into one such revamped DSE with an enemy you cannot beat by yourself, where your only options are to survive until a timer allows you to warp out or until more players warp in so you can tackle that particularly nasty enemy group in co-op. This group effort would then yield a special reward (encouraging other people to help) and be the only one that actually generates a "joinable" battle FX in sector space.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-07-2011, 07:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valias

Not bad, not bad.

But yeah, DSEs should be reworked. Instead of these horrible "get pulled into an empty area with 500 enemy ships" I'd much prefer generic custom instanced encounters with single ships or small squadrons that just take a bit longer to beat. Make it feel a little more like in the series and reserve the really big epic battles for proper missions like in "Divide et Impera".

It should even be possible to get pulled into one such revamped DSE with an enemy you cannot beat by yourself, where your only options are to survive until a timer allows you to warp out or until more players warp in so you can tackle that particularly nasty enemy group in co-op. This group effort would then yield a special reward (encouraging other people to help) and be the only one that actually generates a "joinable" battle FX in sector space.
It sure would suck if no one wanted to help. reward or not.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-07-2011, 08:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3R0B4NG View Post
Resistance is Futile!

You mean the people who went AFK while traveling in Sector Space per Auto Pilot and got pulled into one of these annoying DSE's while beeing AFK, only to warp out when they come back?

And working hard?
With the normal difficulty that is set in DSE's it is more like playing a Screensaver then actually fighting for your survival. Maybe if you aggro 3 groups it get's intresting.
Players are fully aware that there are random encounters and should keep an eye on them accordingly and simply stay put into a system until they can pay attention to the game fully like they should. I know, I was one of the people who afk traveled as well. I simply got annoyed with the result and took measures to prevent it. That's not the game's fault.

Until you run into those death fleets. And by working hard, I mean people who have to grind those types of instances for experience when there were no weekly missions or were at a point of the game where there was no missions to complete. That is something I also had to deal with and wasn't impressed that random encounters or redoing missions to help other players out were the only means for exp to the next level.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-07-2011, 08:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigduckie
It sure would suck if no one wanted to help. reward or not.
Maybe, but it would not suck as much as the current "warp in, warp out" DSEs. The way it's done now DSEs are more like a nuisance than a feature.

I could actually see these special "ad-hoc fleet actions" in my concept become sought after if they yield rare rewards and appear less often than the generic non-joinable DSEs.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-07-2011, 09:02 AM
You do know you can simply fly above or below the DSE's and bypass them entirely right? Or wait till you're destroyed or have run far enough away to change instances or leave, also, so long as the original ops screen is open after loading in, you can warp out even in combat.