Lt. Commander
# 1 Viable solution for Mac users?
01-07-2011, 04:27 AM
Hi all,

I have seen previously there are a couple of solutions for getting STO to run (just) on an Intel Mac however my experiences with these have been quite poor.

Firstly there is a WINE thing that was posted a long time ago which is fiddly to get going and seems, to me, to run once then fail to run any longer.

There is then the CrossOver Games I've used a little which seemed ok but now this also won't open after recent patches with an error of 'cannot access' or 'files locked for editing' or something of the like.

Then finally I can just load into Windows but I'm not going to do that everytime I want to play this game. It's not practical for s quick game.

I would play this game so much more were I able to play on my Mac.

So basically has there been any new developments / stable ways made available to play this on my Intel iMac?

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Kind regards,
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-07-2011, 05:39 AM
Possibly not then ... nuts!
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-07-2011, 05:41 AM
Bootcamp, it's not hard. Windows XP takes like 30 seconds to load. I think you can handle that.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-07-2011, 05:44 AM
The best solution I know of for a Mac user is to use the search function of the forums. There has been a good amount of discussion about that here over the last year. There is at least one thread in the technical help section I recall that worked out a WINE solution with a tad of developer input, though strictly not official input.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-07-2011, 05:49 AM
Woo 2 sarcastic comments ... back to avoiding this forum then!

Thanks for taking the time to look / comment though - it appears no new solutions are available which is all I was looking to know.

Kind regards,
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-07-2011, 05:51 AM
I wasn't being sarcastic.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-07-2011, 05:58 AM
Of course Bootcamp isn't 'hard' but its not ideal is it?
I was just interested in if there is an improved method of using my Mac as a Mac but also playing this game that's all.

If not then I'll occasionally boot into Windows 7. Not a major problem just an annoyance and something which is usually enough to keep me away from the game.

Kind regards,
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-07-2011, 06:31 AM
Just because the suggestion isn't what you want to hear doens't make it sarcastic.

Sounds like basically you don't want to use the options available to you to play on a mac, as the game wasn't developed as such. But sitll want to run it on a mac, and since that's not possible the people giving you suggestions to use bootcamp and such are sarcastic and it's not a good option to you.

Don't really know what else to tell ya. Game was developed for windows, not mac. You can either use WINE or bootcamp, or not play. In a nutshell.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-07-2011, 06:39 AM
Buy a PC. Seriously.

They are cheaper anyway. You can find both desktops and laptops that will run this game beautifully from HP for around $500 starting this weekend. Just get one that runs an Intel Sandybridge or an AMD Fusion.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-07-2011, 06:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commadore_Bob
Buy a PC. Seriously.

They are cheaper anyway. You can find both desktops and laptops that will run this game beautifully from HP for around $500 starting this weekend. Just get one that runs an Intel Sandybridge or an AMD Fusion.
I do support for PCs and Macs and I can tell you mac owners are 20 times harder to deal with than pc owners. They think it's 'easier' than PC, but it's just complicated in different ways.