Lt. Commander
# 11
01-07-2011, 07:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zehra
I do support for PCs and Macs and I can tell you mac owners are 20 times harder to deal with than pc owners. They think it's 'easier' than PC, but it's just complicated in different ways.
From my personal experience, it's because "smarter-than-thou" people buy Macs. Even if they know less about computers than you do. They own a Mac, so they must be smarter than you. Now I'm not saying all Mac users are that way, but ....
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-07-2011, 07:24 AM
Speaking as an ex-support professional I probably dealt with just as many "upright citizens" using WIndows machines as I did Mac users. If someone is already a self-important blowhard with a bloated sense of entitlement, the exact platform they're using isn't going to change that.

Back to the OP: the Wine solution that doh123 has been working on is more than viable. Just be sure you've got the latest version of it and you should be fine.
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-07-2011, 07:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commadore_Bob
From my personal experience, it's because "smarter-than-thou" people buy Macs. Even if they know less about computers than you do. They own a Mac, so they must be smarter than you. Now I'm not saying all Mac users are that way, but ....
To be fair, Mac did a lot for educators and schools. As a result, it's what a lot educators and people raised by educators know. That's probably also where a certain contingent of the "smarter-than-thou" element comes in, along with the cowtowing towards artists in Mac's marketing.

In general, I would agree that the computer that requires less knowledge of computers is superior. A PC for the average user should "just work" as if by magic. Mac does that (at the price of a lot of user control). Video game consoles do that. Windows does it some. Linux is traditionally where you were expected to understand computers (at least a little) to use one.

I think Mac is heading more towards PC and PC is heading more towards Mac.

Ubuntu PCs will be the new Macs in 10 years if:

- They continue their commitment to education.
- They start courting artists who know nothing about computers. They have the foundation for it but I personally think apps like GIMP and the video editors I've toyed with that are open source feel like they're designed by engineers, for engineers, not for hobbyists and the kinds of artists who are reluctant to use a computer to begin with.
- They get paired with a trendy, pricey product. Ie. an expensive netbook with Ubuntu preloaded, settings and configs optimized for eachother.
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-07-2011, 07:29 AM
bootcamp or wine

nobody wants to develop games for mac other than a few big titles here or there... if you're unwilling to load GameOS (I mean windows) on as a secondary boot then you're not going to be able to play a lot of the games out there.

There's no other way to do it, and it's as simple as that .. Let's not let this devolve into 'Mac vs PC'.. It's just a hardware platform and can run either OS.
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-07-2011, 07:33 AM
also: you'll have nothing but problems with wine (some people will tell you it's great, and easy to use, but it's not as stable as running natively) -- it will run better under native windows

most dx9 games i find run as crud under windows 7, so I maintain a windows xp install dual-boot exclusively for running games.. with nothing installed but games, it loads in less than 20 seconds on a run of the mill PC.
Lt. Commander
# 16
01-07-2011, 07:42 AM
I was just interested if there was a NEW solution - I said if there isn't then ill bootcamp or use one of the other solutions it isn't a problem and I didn't imply it was.

Thanks for checking in - another fun forum experience!
Lt. Commander
# 17
01-07-2011, 07:43 AM
Quote:
Buy a PC. Seriously.

They are cheaper anyway. You can find both desktops and laptops that will run this game beautifully from HP for around $500 starting this weekend. Just get one that runs an Intel Sandybridge or an AMD Fusion.
Quoted for a simple solution.

I already run 2 PC's because I find that some apps running in background can interfere with the game. Either causing lag or popups that minimise the game. I also like to play and browse the forums etc while I am waiting for my ship to arrive at the system, of course I still want to keep an eye on it in case I get sucked into a deep space encounter.

At work doing night shift security, I play on a 350 UK pound Fujitsu laptop. I have to turn down the graphics a bit but who cares? At least I can still play between patrols and it's not so loud that I can't hear what's going on outside. It keeps me awake during a long and boring 12 hour shift and saves me a fortune in movie rentals that I would otherwise have to pay for.

The games industry is more geared up for the PC so if you want to play games, a PC is really your best option. Keep the Mac for photo manipulation and office work which is really what they are best at.
Lt. Commander
# 18
01-07-2011, 08:11 AM
If you are a Mac user and are looking for a good cheap PC to play computer games at decent graphics levels, then I suggest this. You can get it for around $500 and it has D11 level graphics. That's the price of a base level iPad, but far more usable.
Lt. Commander
# 19
01-07-2011, 08:12 AM
Quote:
If you are a Mac user and are looking for a good cheap PC to play computer games at decent graphics levels, then I suggest this. You can get it for around $500 and it has D11 level graphics. That's the price of a base level iPad, but far more usable.
They can just install windows on their mac though, which honestly is a much better solution. Macs from the past 2 years at least can play STO just fine under windows.
Lt. Commander
# 20
01-07-2011, 08:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zehra
They can just install windows on their mac though, which honestly is a much better solution. Macs from the past 2 years at least can play STO just fine under windows.
I agree. But if they are here asking, then they may not know they can do that. Buying a PC may end up being the cheaper option as they may end up accidently wiping their HDD when they try to make the Windows partition.