Lt. Commander
# 21
01-07-2011, 09:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commadore_Bob
I agree. But if they are here asking, then they may not know they can do that. Buying a PC may end up being the cheaper option as they may end up accidently wiping their HDD when they try to make the Windows partition.
Not everyone *wants* to buy a PC... and not everyone *can* buy a PC... I play on a Mac, a 17" MacBook Pro and a "26 iMac because I rarely play PC games except for MMOs and I use Macs for my work. I'm always tempted to buy a gaming PC, but that's not either cheap or practical (especially since it's going to be used purely for games and the wife would kill me).

And you show don't know much about Macs, there's absolutely no way you can 'accidentally' wipe your HDD when making a Windows partition when using BootCamp just because of the way how BootCamp works. My advice to the OP: use BootCamp, it's the easiest and most practical of the options available...
Lt. Commander
# 22
01-07-2011, 10:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfeef
there's absolutely no way you can 'accidentally' wipe your HDD when making a Windows partition when using BootCamp just because of the way how BootCamp works.
You would think. I have seen people do some crazy things to their computers that have left me scratching my head going, "How in the hell did you get it to do that?" (Also, my comment was partly tongue-in-cheek as well)

I'm not a Mac user, so I'll leave the intricacies of Boot Camp operation to you guys. I was just offering an option if for some reason Boot Camp wasn't an option (not enough HDD space, system resources, etc) And some people are uncomfortable doing dual boot as well.

Most games are PC based. I was offering a good cheap PC that should handle their gaming needs.
Lt. Commander
# 23
01-07-2011, 10:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commadore_Bob
You would think. I have seen people do some crazy things to their computers that have left me scratching my head going, "How in the hell did you get it to do that?" (Also, my comment was partly tongue-in-cheek as well)

I'm not a Mac user, so I'll leave the intricacies of Boot Camp operation to you guys. I was just offering an option if for some reason Boot Camp wasn't an option (not enough HDD space, system resources, etc) And some people are uncomfortable doing dual boot as well.

Most games are PC based. I was offering a good cheap PC that should handle their gaming needs.
AMEN!

to that
Lt. Commander
# 24
01-07-2011, 02:04 PM
Consider that any game you want to play on the Mac comes with a base 10GB storage tax. You are installing Windows and the drivers on the machine just to play a game. Your computer already has an OS, so a second OS is technically unnecessary. So in order to run the game in Windows you are losing ~10GB worth of storage space on your HDD.

But, if you have a top of the line Macbook Pro with over 1TB of storage, do Boot Camp, absolutely. Try to set aside at least 32GB for Windows without eating too much into MacOS's allotment. 32GB should give you plenty for Windows itself, the drivers, the game, Microsoft Security Essentials (avoid Norton or McAfee), and enough overhead in case you decide to install anything in the future (as well as windows updates, etc). You aren't using Windows for anything else, so there is no reason to have too much more space.

But if you bought the base model Macbook 13", you may not have the storage space needed to run Windows and STO (and whatever other games you play) without eating too much into what you need to run OSX. And remember, if you want to access Tribble, it requires an entire other copy of the game on your HDD. So consider that as well.

Basically:
Do you have a big enough HDD? Do you have 32GB to give to Windows without hurting Mac?
Are you comfortable doing Dual Boot?
Are you willing to pay that 10GB storage tax to Windows?
Do you have a copy of Windows?

If you answered yes, then I'm sure one of the Mac users would be more than willing to give you a hand. If you answered no, consider the notebook (or something similar) I mentioned before. You could always buy a new Mac, but I'm sure the option I gave is cheaper.
Lt. Commander
# 25
01-07-2011, 02:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zehra
I do support for PCs and Macs and I can tell you mac owners are 20 times harder to deal with than pc owners. They think it's 'easier' than PC, but it's just complicated in different ways.
That is the sad truth.

However, in this day and age I really thought we were beginning to get beyond the "Can it run on MAC" question.
Lt. Commander
# 26
01-07-2011, 04:34 PM
There is no official Mac client incoming for STO. If you look around the forums some users have come up with several different solutions (most listed here). However, we are not officially supporting the Mac OS.

Thanks,

Stormshade
Lt. Commander
# 27
01-07-2011, 05:36 PM
Boot Camp is super easy to install and get STO running.

In fact, the only things I have on my Windows 7 Boot Camp partition are FireFox, STO, and Vent.
Lt. Commander
# 28
01-08-2011, 04:57 PM
having to run Windows totally sucks...

There are very few minor issues with the Wineskin based build I put together... its very playable, and I have plenty of fun. If your having any problems with it, I'll try to help you get it working. I know its a PITA to get installed, but I cannot do much about that cuz Cryptic can't give me permission to include any of their files.