Lt. Commander
i allways thought that it is kinda stupid that the Phaserbeams allways look the same, no matter how much energy you have put in weapons.

My idea would be to add the stat to the glow (bloom?) value of the single beam.

if you have 125 power in weapons the beam looks brighter -> more damage
if you are hit by some energy drain the beams get darker or even break up -> less damage

the Bloom value can be adjusted by % so there is no reason to break it up into 25 50 75 100 125 steps but it could be as accurate as 1% //edit: ok forget that, the Bloom slider does not seem to affect the beams.

same could be done for shields & engines, (i have no idea how Aux could be visualized)

but, high energy levels on weapons = brighter beams and cannons, high energy levels on Engines = brighter glowing engines, high Shield energy = brigter / darker Shield bubbles when hit.

That just seems logical to me.

And if you get hit by some energy drain ability (breen ships for example) you could instantly see, "oh my beams are too dark, revert energy to gunz!".

As it is, the only diffrence the energy levels show are the yellow numbers above the enemy ship, and they are so random that i wouldn't notice any diffrence if i would look right at it (also they are flying by pretty fast).

//edit:

Weapon Energy at:
< 25 %
~ 50%
~ 75%
100%
Beam Overload
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-07-2011, 04:46 AM
No thanks, phaser always looked the same only the single highly powerfull ones wher thicker just like BO is.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-07-2011, 05:17 AM
- 1 -
- 2 -
- 3 -
- 4 -
- 5 -
- 6 -
- 7 -
- 8 -

also compare the Phase Cannon of the NX-01 HERE

so uuuhm... no? they looked pretty diffrent at times.

of course one ship that has the same phaser array and allways goes into battle at 100% power output will not look much diffrent in the course of one series about the same ship.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-07-2011, 05:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3R0B4NG View Post
- 1 -
- 2 -
- 3 -
- 4 -
- 5 -
- 6 -
- 7 -
- 8 -

also compare the Phase Cannon of the NX-01 HERE

so uuuhm... no? they looked pretty diffrent at times.

of course one ship that has the same phaser array and allways goes into battle at 100% power output will not look much diffrent in the course of one series about the same ship.
!!!!!are you trying to show me that things in Star Trek were inconsistent and changed at the whims of the special effect people???? I refuse to believe such a thing.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-07-2011, 05:30 AM
or let me put it like this:

Weapon Energy at:
< 25 %
~ 50%
~ 75%
100%
Beam Overload
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-07-2011, 05:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnBludd View Post
!!!!!are you trying to show me that things in Star Trek were inconsistent and changed at the whims of the special effect people??? I refuse to believe such a thing.
I agree with the quote here
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-07-2011, 05:43 AM
Trip : "This, ladies and gentlemen is a phase-modulated energy weapon. It's rated for a maximum power output of 500 gigajoules. ...We have one, and it's only a prototype. ..."

i suppose it would only be logical if newer Weapons, for example in 2409 had more poweroutput then the first prototype?

I don't want to say Fun > Canon because this would go hand in hand with Canon as i see it.

Having weapons at 25% energy... or even 0% energy looking exactly like a Weapon at 125% energy is just... bad design.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-07-2011, 06:02 AM
not really the more light it gives off the more power is lost in that form, the perfect phaser would be barely vissble and ths delivering the most power to its target.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-07-2011, 06:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liandras
not really the more light it gives off the more power is lost in that form, the perfect phaser would be barely vissble and ths delivering the most power to its target.
that would look boring...

and i am not sure that is correct.

what do you think has a higher power output?
this 1 or that 1
?
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-07-2011, 06:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liandras
A perfectly efficient weapon, yes, but the effect would still also dependent on the power of the emitter behind it. 50% of a 100 Gj emission would still be five times as much as 100% of a 10Gj emission.