Lt. Commander
I have been on STO since the beginning, I have seen the different types of team voice chat used. I agree that having a voice chat makes missions and STFs infinitely better (and easier) than without one.

My fleet, and the folks I play with, use the Skype client for our voice chat and find that it works great, but I see the other clients that the other players are using and wonder...what makes them better?

So, what is it about Teamspeak or Ventrilio that makes them better than other voice chats out there? If you use something else, what is it that you like about it that makes it better than the others? Not trolling here, just trying to find out why one is better than the other.

Thanks,
Shum
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-07-2011, 12:34 PM
I've used vent for a while and I like the format it uses. I set up my server with a bridge channel for general chat as well as a few battle station channels for STF and fleet actions away from others chatting.

I've also used teamspeak and skype and the chat service to me really isn't any different. I think it is just a personal preference. Downloading the service is free but a server does cost a little for vent not sure on the others though.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-07-2011, 12:45 PM
I like vent the best because of its admin capabilities.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-07-2011, 12:54 PM
Really depends on what you need. If you have the same small circle of friends that you play with, Skype is fine. But with more people, vent has more capabilities. You can create channels on the server. Everyone in the same channel can talk to each other. But say that you have 10 people online, and you want to run 2 groups for Infected. 5 of you could easily go to another channel, and not have to deal with the other group. And you can go between channels with a simple mouse click, and you can easily see who is in what channel.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-07-2011, 01:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shummy
I have been on STO since the beginning, I have seen the different types of team voice chat used. I agree that having a voice chat makes missions and STFs infinitely better (and easier) than without one.

My fleet, and the folks I play with, use the Skype client for our voice chat and find that it works great, but I see the other clients that the other players are using and wonder...what makes them better?

So, what is it about Teamspeak or Ventrilio that makes them better than other voice chats out there? If you use something else, what is it that you like about it that makes it better than the others? Not trolling here, just trying to find out why one is better than the other.

Thanks,
Shum
+1 Skype is the best. I'm on it nearly all the time with friends all over the place. Plus if you want you can all use the camera for video chat. From what I understand the other ones don't have that option.