Lt. Commander
# 91
01-09-2011, 11:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dstahl
If we ever had an, "Ask the Cryptic Fans" - one of our questions would be "Why do players make their humans 6'4 or taller?" [/url]
To offset the freakishly huge interiors.
Lt. Commander
# 92
01-09-2011, 12:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelrain27 View Post
Some really great stuff here and thank you Dstahl for answering so many questions. (Like seriously that was a big one!)

The only thing I am upset about is the Open PVP. I am really upset about that to be honest. It said that many people arent pvpers on STO. This could be due to the fact that pvp has been broken, take forever to get into, and theres no real reason for anyone but Klingons to do it but there is hardly any incentive to be Klingon.

Its really the only thing I am missing from this game, REAL pvp. People dont like waiting in lines so please stop forcing us to queue all the time.
I'm equally concerned. I don't think there is a lack of interest in pvp, I think there are plenty of us who would love pvp and would participate more in pvp if there was a better implementation of it. One sector of open pvp would really do a lot for the game and for the KDF. IMO.
I played pvp quite a bit but it just got boring doing the same maps everytime and being limited to doing it with only 5 on a team and waiting so long in queue because everyone else has become equally bored with the current implementation. The game is suppose to be an mmo so it'd be really nice to see some aspect of being an mmo being implemented properly. There's lots to love about the game but the social aspect is not one of them and that's unfortunate for an mmo. I'm not going anywhere and will continue to support the game but the attitude that we don't want pvp has got to change.
Lt. Commander
# 93
01-09-2011, 01:34 PM
I dont read this every month. I was really impressed with the volume of answers and how honest and concise they were, guys is it always as good as it is this month? If so I should be taking part more often cause that answered alot of my questions..the community does have many of the same questions after all

I have shown zero interest in pvp, but i now feel maybe im missing out..maybe i should consider giving it a try. It's just I hated pvp on ********. Is it better on STO? someone on this thread said they didn't know wjhy people didn't do pvp on STO , well for me it's definatley because I hated it on wow(my only other mmo experience, it felt like a cheap version of street fighter) so i guess it just put me off pvp. It's nothing sto has done wrong(for me).

I also wonder if the lessened interest in pvp on sto is directly related to the fact that there are a LOT of players on sto that prefer to go it alone. Despite the "social" nature of mmo's STO never really pushes you to team up even in PVE..so unlike other mmo's you can kind of get in the "habit" of not playing thios game socially..not joining guild etc.( i am not saying this is a good or a bad thing) Once you get used to not being so sociable it's easy to get kinda stuck in that mindset. I really do wonder if that is why pvp is less popular. Maybe it's the casual nature of the game. Not sure just some thoughts.

I am really liking the first officer stuff and the entire idea of reworking the BO's thats one of the most exciting/rewarding changes on the board for me. And earning those ships in game is important to me. I have always been in support of the c-store. Never had a problem with it. But when I saw I had to pay 15 to access a ship..and not just a skin but a ship with special abilities..iI was very dissapointed. The option to earn it)even if it is difficult to do so) for me is a MUST. Cosmetic stuff i can live with..but not stuff that involves game mechanics like that. I know people have differing opinions but thats mine.
great questions everyone
Lt. Commander
# 94
01-09-2011, 02:04 PM
Let put something else out there concerning PvP, the fact that there is not much of the Fed vs Klingons. Why you ask? Because it is way to unbalanced. Im not saying this as a slam against the Klingons, but still, as a Federation Officer, why would I want to go PvP against them when I know I am going to get ripped to pieces and not even dent thier shields? I have played a handful of PvP on the Feds vs Klinks and have won maybe three matches, which were capture and holds.

I honestly think that if there was a true balance, then we might see more PvP, but I think some people are just sticking with the Feds vs Feds and Klinks vs Klinks, and even that tends to get boring. Thus why I am all for an open PvP concept where people can actually pick and choose where and who they fight.
Lt. Commander
# 95
01-09-2011, 02:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBrown24 View Post
Let put something else out there concerning PvP, the fact that there is not much of the Fed vs Klingons. Why you ask? Because it is way to unbalanced. Im not saying this as a slam against the Klingons, but still, as a Federation Officer, why would I want to go PvP against them when I know I am going to get ripped to pieces and not even dent thier shields? I have played a handful of PvP on the Feds vs Klinks and have won maybe three matches, which were capture and holds.

I honestly think that if there was a true balance, then we might see more PvP, but I think some people are just sticking with the Feds vs Feds and Klinks vs Klinks, and even that tends to get boring. Thus why I am all for an open PvP concept where people can actually pick and choose where and who they fight.
ohhh i find that interesting(again not having played the pvp here) I would have hoped there would be a LOT of fed vs kinks, if what you are saying is true and it's fed vs feds. I dont find that idea apealing at all. To me the whole point would be faction based pvp
Lt. Commander
# 96
01-09-2011, 04:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by QE2
I dont read this every month. I was really impressed with the volume of answers and how honest and concise they were, guys is it always as good as it is this month? If so I should be taking part more often cause that answered alot of my questions..the community does have many of the same questions after all
While this Ask Cryptic seems (to me, at least) to be one of the best (if not the best, heh) one yet, they usually are on par with this month's. While some may say that they usually avoid the tough questions (such as when bugs/game mechanics will be fixed, C-Store items, etc; and, honestly, I kind of agree with them sometimes, but not always), I think dstahl usually gives us some good info about what they're working on and what they have planned for the future. I would most definitely urge you to offer questions in the future, because you may just get (some of) your question(s) answered.

Overall, I think the Ask Cryptic posts are one of the best made by the Cryptic team, along with the Engineering Reports (which, hopefully, we'll see a new one of those tomorrow or early next week). They have a page with past Ask Cryptics, if you would like to read the past ones (not really sure why, because they're 'older news,' but, hey, just in case you want to, lol):

http://startrekonline.com/dev_blog
Lt. Commander
# 97
01-09-2011, 06:08 PM
jus wish this game had open space and one instance... sigh.... and wasn't so boring....
Lt. Commander
# 98
01-09-2011, 06:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by QE2
ohhh i find that interesting(again not having played the pvp here) I would have hoped there would be a LOT of fed vs kinks, if what you are saying is true and it's fed vs feds. I dont find that idea apealing at all. To me the whole point would be faction based pvp
A lot of people don't like pvp because there character is set up for PvE and they fight other players who have all there ground abilities maxed instead. They get pounded without making a dent. After a while it gets old.
Lt. Commander
# 99
01-09-2011, 07:56 PM
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dstahl
If we ever had an, "Ask the Cryptic Fans" - one of our questions would be "Why do players make their humans 6'4 or taller?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav750k View Post
To offset the freakishly huge interiors.
Both funny and true!
Great comeback sir!
Lt. Commander
# 100
01-09-2011, 10:46 PM
I have to agree with a number of posts here about the rank cap. While I am indeed a fan of becoming a Fleet Admiral, I have one nagging statement in the back of my mind: "If we're all Fleet Admirals, no one is." Rank cap should be set at Captain but continue to grow in levels of experience (so instead of VA 2, we could have Cpt. 22 (or however many levels after Cpt. VA 2 is, I don't remember ))

I also have to agree with the open PVP map being set in the Klingon Neutral Zone for a couple of reasons. 1) It would more clearly define the Neutral Zone (something that I've been trying to determine for ages) and 2) It would get me into PVP. To be honest, I haven't had a single PVP experience and I know I'm missing out because instead of an AI with predeictable moves, I'd be fighting a real person and I'd have to think to win which I would love to do. Get rid of the queue and make PVP open in the Nuetral Zone!

Oh, and define it too, please!

Also, OMG I CAN'T WAIT FOR REVAMP OF EXPLORATION MISSIONS!!!

Sorry, had to do it .

Also Iconians. THANK YOU VERY MUCH I LOVE YOU DSTAHL AND THE REST OF THE DEV TEAM!

Ok, cruise control off now.

In all seriousness (and lower case) I am very pleased with what's to come.