Lt. Commander
# 111 Character height --
01-10-2011, 10:34 PM
FWIW, my captains (females) are all under 6' tall. I agree with those who've said the slider range needs to go a fair bit lower than it currently does. I'd like to see human-like races have a minimum that will go down to at least 5 feet, if not a little lower. (I've had friends who were 4'11" or so, though I'm not that short myself. It's not 'average' but it certainly is quite possible/feasible.)
Lt. Commander
# 112
01-10-2011, 10:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBrown24 View Post
SUPPOSEDLY, they are talking about doing something with the fleet starbases in Season 5. Really they havent said much more about which is really frustrating.
that would be Incredible! and i thought, way back in S1 when i just joined my fleet, that a fleet SB was nothing more than a wild dream. It would be awesome to have a fleet base, fleet shipyards, fleet mining colonies, hey, even a fleet science facility!

the only bummer i see here is that noob fleets would try to abuse this somehow... perhaps every fancy feature (a SB, or a mine colony) would require so many members each above a certain rank. that is, a fairly small fleet could get a special "fleet system", but it would take a bit larger fleet to make a base, and a vast fleet to construct a research facility (perhaps like a simplified memory alpha?)
Also, it should cost alot of encreds to construct such features. so many that it would require all the members to pitch in.

i understand this is along ways off, but i hope it does happen somewhere down the road.
Lt. Commander
# 113
01-11-2011, 04:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace-Dreadnought View Post
the only bummer i see here is that noob fleets would try to abuse this somehow...
...what? just... what?
Lt. Commander
# 114
01-11-2011, 06:16 AM
Probably already said,

i just want so more canon vessels.

Miranda (bozeman, saratoga, hospital like), steamrunner, ambassador, galaxy(venture), challenger, new orleans, constellation, norway, oberth, nebula (phoenix version), etc. Not as c-store stuff, but just as normal(buy them in the game) ships. Also as i told in another thread, everyone is admiral and everyone takes tier 5+ vessels, no one takes the ships like akira or miranda or a normal intrepid, because they are weaker than the strong maxout vessels. Perhaps change it, that your rank just boost your ship to a max. So people can also fight with a miranda or an oberth(instead of a nova or something else) Would be fun to see fleet action with a real tng or ds9 fleet instead of all the new modified tier 5 vessels.
Lt. Commander
# 115
01-11-2011, 07:07 AM
Quote:
that would be Incredible! and i thought, way back in S1 when i just joined my fleet, that a fleet SB was nothing more than a wild dream. It would be awesome to have a fleet base, fleet shipyards, fleet mining colonies, hey, even a fleet science facility!

the only bummer i see here is that noob fleets would try to abuse this somehow... perhaps every fancy feature (a SB, or a mine colony) would require so many members each above a certain rank. that is, a fairly small fleet could get a special "fleet system", but it would take a bit larger fleet to make a base, and a vast fleet to construct a research facility (perhaps like a simplified memory alpha?)
Also, it should cost alot of encreds to construct such features. so many that it would require all the members to pitch in.

i understand this is along ways off, but i hope it does happen somewhere down the road.
This is why I have suggested that fleets collect materials and resources to construct the Starbase. Why not even go as far as to gather materials for build the fleet shipyards and defense platforms. Plus, you can continue to collect the materials so that you can either build a variety of NPC ships to defend your starbase or build another Starbase somewhere else in the game, that would be to cool and also challenging if fleets were allowed to attack other fleets, especially Klingon vs Feds.

@Soverign001- If you read the latest Ask Cryptic, Dstahl mentioned something about being able to retrofit lower tier ships so that they could be used in the higher ranks if you had a desire to use that ship. So this would open up the Akira, Intrepids(Capt), Nova, and more possibilities.
Lt. Commander
# 116
01-11-2011, 08:12 AM
Quote:
@Soverign001- If you read the latest Ask Cryptic, Dstahl mentioned something about being able to retrofit lower tier ships so that they could be used in the higher ranks if you had a desire to use that ship. So this would open up the Akira, Intrepids(Capt), Nova, and more possibilities.
Jep read that part mate, but its just in general about the ships i mean. More canon models
Lt. Commander
# 117
01-11-2011, 08:19 AM
I still want to know if they're going to increase the maximum height of Gorn characters (or shrink the NPC Gorn), because the NPCs tower over the PC made Gorn by a ridiculous amount. >.<
Lt. Commander
# 118
01-11-2011, 10:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBrown24 View Post
This is why I have suggested that fleets collect materials and resources to construct the Starbase. Why not even go as far as to gather materials for build the fleet shipyards and defense platforms. Plus, you can continue to collect the materials so that you can either build a variety of NPC ships to defend your starbase or build another Starbase somewhere else in the game, that would be to cool and also challenging if fleets were allowed to attack other fleets, especially Klingon vs Feds.
that would be epic. aside from, again, i could see fleets abusing this somehow. that is, placing starbases right and left. I think they should have careful limits as to who can build what.

but yeah, a kling vs fed pvp where its a fleet against a system would be Awesome! we could even be ground crew members on our starbase/defense plats while the enemy fleet is in space view. I'd luv to be down on a station banging around on a console trying to get the generator back up
but this fleet system thing shouldn't just be slapped together. on top of the vast resources required for a structure, it should also take a long time to actually construct it. that is, maybe up to a week or so. may sound like a while, but consider that if each system only has one starbase, thats the only time you would have to wait for it (unless of course it was damaged/destroyed in battle... but that would require some careful work there)

Now, what about "where to place these fleet systems"? I can imagine if every fleet plus one were to build a system, the alpha quadrant would be filled solid from DS7 to ESD. that would ruin a lot of stuff, to put it lightly. I wanted to suggest that these fleet systems could be placed in arms/nebula/clusters. This way, cryptic wouldnt have to put 100+ new solar systems in sector space. Plus, it would allow for bases to be a bit better concealed. that is, every other fleet out there wouldn't just sit around in my fleet's home port. When a cluster is entered (and its your homebase's cluster) there should be a button that asks if you want to dock at your base. sorta like dip-missions.
There should also be an option to hide/show/limit your base to those other than clan m8s. that is, if its hide, then its strictly fleet members. if its show, then perhaps there could be a chance that a friendly would come across your system when exploring that particular cluster. if its limit, then maybe it could be set to "invite only" or something. perhaps it starts off as "show", and if you want to switch it to "hide", you would first have to construct some cloaking devices around your system or something.

I look forward to the day this is made reality!
Lt. Commander
# 119
01-11-2011, 12:52 PM
I made my Human Captain 6'4" because he's meant to be an in-game representation of me, and I'm that tall IRL. :p
Lt. Commander
# 120
01-11-2011, 02:56 PM
Quote:
that would be epic. aside from, again, i could see fleets abusing this somehow. that is, placing starbases right and left. I think they should have careful limits as to who can build what.
See, this is where instancing really shines. Conservation of geography is not necessary.