Lt. Commander
# 61
01-07-2011, 08:45 PM
Quote:
If we ever had an, "Ask the Cryptic Fans" - one of our questions would be "Why do players make their humans 6'4 or taller?"
Because it's closer to the scale of the setpieces? :p
Leg and torso length also change the true height without the slider representing it.
Lt. Commander
# 62
01-07-2011, 08:54 PM
Thank you for answering my questions, dstahl.
Lt. Commander
# 63
01-07-2011, 09:20 PM
Great questions and answers. Looks like Season 4 is shaping up to be the biggest yet. Cant wait to see the final list of content/fixes it will include; it looks to have a lot of content that should make up for how relatively small Season 3 ended up being when compared to the previous Seasons.

Glad to hear some more STFs will be added eventually, although I hope some are for lower level characters instead of just all of them being end-game team-ups. And Eta Eridani would make for a great Open PVP zone if PVP becomes the main focus of Season 5.

Keep up the good work!

PS - Ive noticed in several threads mention the need of additional programmers. If you were to do an Internship program you would be able to 'hire' more peons to help with the testing and programming and thus expanding your workforce, but without having to pay as much as you would for full time workers. Would love to Intern for you guys, and even if there is a slight slowdown (in the beginning) due to having to train interns, the end result would be more work done by the end of their internships.
Lt. Commander
# 64
01-07-2011, 09:52 PM
[quote=If we ever had an, "Ask the Cryptic Fans" - one of our questions would be "Why do players make their humans 6'4 or taller?"
[/QUOTE]

the only thing i can think of for an answer is 2 points: if it were me, i would be doing it either to distinguish a new alien species, like lwaxana troi's Valet (s)
OR
as a poor attempt to make the huge interiors seem less huge.
Lt. Commander
# 65
01-07-2011, 10:00 PM
Here is an idea for open PvP: turn the existing war zones (and add a few more) in Pi Canis and Eta Eridani into open pvp instances. Kerrat is already practically and open PvP zone. Just get rid of the active Borg ships and now both sides are fighting for salvage rights.

Great ask Cryptic by the way. Keep up the great work.
Lt. Commander
# 66
01-07-2011, 10:09 PM
First of all, I think there were some good questions and decent answers. However, I found this round of Ask Cryptic to be very similar to the game.....FLUFF.

I know that "we"(me, my fleet, and other people/fleets that share our opinions) are in the minority, but there are several things that Cryptic is just not willing to come out and address which bothers me for a company that prides themselves for listening to the voice of the community.

While Season 3 had its advantages, for the most part it was all fluff content aimed at pleasing the RPers of the game(please note that this is not a personal attack on Roleplayers). In fact, the last several patches and added content have been aimed to the "majority" of the community.

I know that this post is going to be viewed and either agreed or disagreed with, but please at least hear me out and keep an open mind.

Much of what this game is lacking is content down right plain and simple. The Federation could use some fresh content and the Klingons are and have been in need of content for God knows how long. What makes this matter even worse in that both Season 2 and 3, the addition of major content for the Klingons was promised, but has yet to be seen. Adding new ships for both sides would be a big plus. Think of how many ships from cannon(which is a hot debate, but I call it the TV series) that could be added for both Feds and Klingons.

The biggest thing that has been called for has been for open PvP which Cryptic continues to dance around. The game would benefit with open PvP and even taking one of the exsisting sectors and allowing the systems to be "controlled" by each side and make the "war" between the Kilngons and Feds that much more intense. All this also goes along with the idea of fleet starbases. Sure, we would have to spread them out all over every sector that are open, but it would add another element to the game. Especially if you have to collect resources and materials to build the starbase.

Then we come to the question of where are the Romulans? We had a poll shortly after Season 1 and we still have not seen them or heard anything about them. Granted, I can see where the difficulty is in creating content, creating ships, and missions. Still, the lack of further update and information has me and others wondering.

There is more that I could go on with, but that is for another post and topic. Still, think on all this and see how much more this would benefit everyone that plays the game and how much better the gameplay would be for everyone, especially for new people who may be trying the game out for the first time.
Lt. Commander
# 67
01-07-2011, 10:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfs5519 View Post
the only thing i can think of for an answer is 2 points: if it were me, i would be doing it either to distinguish a new alien species, like lwaxana troi's Valet (s)
I actually have an officer that I've modeled after Mr. Homn. Hopefully, I'll be able to put him in some 'off-duty' clothing to match his outfit closer to what he wore in TNG, but I'm still waiting on the right hairstyle for him, lol. (For now, though, I've left him bald, because I don't really like any of the options we currently have.)

Now, as soon as we get the TNG 'skant' uniform, I'll be able to finally make my Zapp Brannigan officer...
Lt. Commander
# 68 YOU ask US !
01-07-2011, 10:16 PM
<<If we ever had an, "Ask the Cryptic Fans">>

Please consider this and ask !!!

...has potential to be hilariously entertaining.
Lt. Commander
# 69
01-07-2011, 11:26 PM
Quote:
If we ever had an, "Ask the Cryptic Fans" - one of our questions would be "Why do players make their humans 6'4 or taller?"
Like others have said, its people wanting to feel a normal height when walking around. Aside from the new doors, the sets are built for giants.

Well except those players who like super-small sizes for Ground PvP, in taking advantage of the terrain.

Quote:
A: Deep Space encounters will be fixed in Season 4 because they are being replaced with something new. Star Cluster issues are also being addressed over the next several months as we begin to look at ways to improve exploration.
I'm glad Deep Space Encounters are going to get replaced, they have always been a pain. But I'm curious about those who gotten accolades, we going to lose them?

And with Exploration, I posted my ideas that sort of take from the old PC Game "Starflight", which surely STO could take inspiration on regarding actual exploration than "random mission generator" we got now.

Quote:
A: I think the writing is on the wall that when we increase the level cap up to Fleet Admiral, players will primarily be dealing with the Iconian threat. That is something we've eluded to since launch, and do plan to feature later on in the game.
And what's after FA? :p

Honestly, its bad enough we got tons of 3 Star Admirals / Generals going around. I think the rank system needs to be revisited and maxed out at Captain, with a few rare exceptions of real Admirals (which could lets say unlocked like SWG's original Jedi concept).

Quote:
A: This is a tough subject because there are those who love PVP and those who don't. Looking at the Star Trek Online playerbase, I don't forsee a future where we ever move to a completely open PVP architecture. What I do see are opportunities where we can make Open PVP areas a part of the Story and allow players to play out scenarios where they make sense. My gut says that you'll see more planned PVP contests before you see open world PVP.
I honestly think you're making a bad decision, Dan. What you are doing is no different than the current PvP system with Ker'rat.

And we absolutely DO NOT need contests for PvPers, they have plenty of ego already.

Really what people want is actual war, not scripted missions or what not. We need actual territorial PvP where players can advance, take territory, and gain somekind of benefit til the next battle over that world.
Lt. Commander
# 70
01-08-2011, 01:35 AM
Quote:
Q: xXLocutusXx: There was talk about open pvp from Stahl, I was hoping that you could possibly elaborate on where you would like to take this idea in game wise.

A: This is a tough subject because there are those who love PVP and those who don't. Looking at the Star Trek Online playerbase, I don't forsee a future where we ever move to a completely open PVP architecture. What I do see are opportunities where we can make Open PVP areas a part of the Story and allow players to play out scenarios where they make sense. My gut says that you'll see more planned PVP contests before you see open world PVP.
This i'm actually looking forward to. Open world pvp is all fun and stuff but actually playing out pvp missions with a proper story that change depending on if you win or not? *drool*