Lt. Commander
# 1 The answer to open pvp
01-07-2011, 02:15 PM
A: This is a tough subject because there are those who love PVP and those who don't. Looking at the Star Trek Online playerbase, I don't forsee a future where we ever move to a completely open PVP architecture. What I do see are opportunities where we can make Open PVP areas a part of the Story and allow players to play out scenarios where they make sense. My gut says that you'll see more planned PVP contests before you see open world PVP.

Well what do you all think???
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-07-2011, 02:55 PM
Too vague, I think.

Does this mean no Open PvP Sector Block / Zone with Territory Control, and instead more something like an Open Instance mission or a War Zone, where you have a regular mission objective but can be hindered by other players?

Or does it explicitely mean a confined zone, but something with territory control and all?

I don't know.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-07-2011, 03:22 PM
I don't see a eve type of pvp play going on, what i get from it is some more map pvp like we have now and ma by some story line type pvp goin on.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-07-2011, 03:34 PM
I think it means that there will be no open world PvP,but there is room for more Ker'rat style PvP maps. (they should really fix Ker'rat....fun,but buggy as hell)
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-07-2011, 05:49 PM
The response seems a little disappointing to me. I was hoping at least the Neutral zone would get turned into a PVP zone. Ah well, I guess only time will tell.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-08-2011, 10:25 AM
More maps like Ker'rat are a terrible idea and concept in my opinion. What i don't like about those types of maps is you essentially are trying to attract PVE players into a zone to conduct a PVE objective while a bunch of PvP'ers sit around essentially trying to gank them. The end result a lot of times are PVE players who become upset with the zone and either stop going or become even more turned off to PvP.

What I think is a better model is an open PvP zone with PvP oriented goals and PvP oriented rewards. Essentially everyone who ends up going into the zone is going there looking for a fight. As a Fed you are looking to raid or defend a starbase not shoot at some Borg cubes until a Klingon shows up. Any "loot" or reward earned in this zone comes from destroying the other faction or their facilities for example. I want PvP'ers in my zone not a bunch of carebears doing the carebear stare at some NPC's and getting ****ed when they are getting "harassed".
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-10-2011, 09:13 AM
i would love to see all those resourses used to make items etc assigned to systems, with the rare ones on only one system. on the surface you have a bunker that generates a limited number of those resourses (depends on rarity) over time and the controling faction players can walk in an pick them up. The bunker and space have npc defences and a warning should go out as a msg to the faction contoling the system when it is attacked. Once you control space you can beam down and take control of the bunker.

This gives value to the systems, feels like a war, and offers a reason for crafters/pve'er/pvp'er and even RP'ers to participate in pvp. If a sector is fully owned by a side that locks that side from travel for the other faction for a set period of time to simulate safe areas for people to do normal pve missions without being ganked. If you want to pve in a contested system you pays ur money and takes your chance.

The sectors would need to be re thought out tho or the kdf only having one sector would be starting at a disadvantge. The downside is the obvious number imbalance which could result in the kdf camped on their homeworld, tho the introduction of a third faction might help reduce the federtaion population a little.

Not that this would ever happen, just someting i would like to see is all.