Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 21
01-07-2011, 11:29 PM
You can build your Cruiser to be anything you want it to be depending on your playstyle.

However if you select a lot of offensive abilities such as BPIII, EWP, DEM instead of defensive abilities expect to get a little singed by BoPs, Escorts, etc.

Personally I go back and forth between extremely offensive (extremely squishy), medium, and extremely tanky.

Unfortunately as a tactical captain there is a limit to my tankyness even in a Cruiser.

I have to be extra careful if good Escorts/BoPs are in the match.


It's not a big deal you just have to make sure you have all your abilities in order and activate them quickly on the alpha.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 22
01-07-2011, 11:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harddrive View Post
I love to pvp, but it is very discouraging as a Fed player. With no exageration at all I can say that the feds lose 4 out of the 5 battles i play. Either every klingon group is a premade or we have a serious balance issue.

I think the problem lies in the klingon ships incredibly high alpha. I am at RA level in a fully fitted sovereign with tanking skills and one BoP can tear through my tank in about 3-5 seconds. I have 47% resistance to disrupters....

This wouldnt be as bad as it sounds if the klingon's ability to tank were less than that of the feds but its not, in fact their tank is amazing. Even their so called "glass cannons" have a strong tank.

So, to be fair klingons do way too much up front damage. They can almost always destroy the first fed ship they fire on when they decloak putting us at a sever disadvantage.

You either have to lower their ability to do so much up front damage or you have to lower their survivability, they shouldnt have both.

Please fix this.
Hi Harddrive i dont normaly answer to posts like this with anything other than lolz L2P.. But i will this time.

you must be new to pvp the game is coming up on its first full year & only now your complaining about pvp.

K lets start i to back in the first couple of weeks maxed out my fed toon tac to RA5 with no real thought to pvp .. idk if it was a time zone thing or not but i always queued up for pvp & never got one for ages.
First few games i got (this was b4 craptic brought in fvf pvp).
I got smashed time and again infact i dont think i was on a winning team for ages some .. infact most of the time myself & the other feds got stomped bad.

I too came to the forums .. but not to do what you have done but instead read up get some info.

Now thats out of the way can i point out to you one big flaw your state you have a 47% resist to diruptors.
psst.... this is not the TV or movies your at klingons are not locked to disruptors so a bit of an epic fail on your part there.
Look at the color of there weapons (disruptors are GREEN) infact i think most klingons are using your own weapons to kill ya try getting your resist up vs phasers .
typical kling load out would be phaser or antiproton.

Now on to my final part of my reply if you think klings are uber hard hitting like some morons do quoting waa its not fair klings can mount DH Cannons on all there ships waaaaa .
To those people i say & how many negs / carriers or even vorcha do you see running DH cannons on those ships. maybe 1 or 2 why because to keep ships in that 45 arc sucks in those ships.

Now seriously if you think klinks are uber tanky & hard hitting please roll a kling alt play it to BG5 or heck do one better get it to Lt General go play some pvp vs feds.
& keep playing till you meet a good fed fleet like TSI or RE then come back here & tell.....
US ALL HOW TANKY & HARD HITTING THE KLINGONS ARE!! please do please.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 24
01-08-2011, 01:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harddrive View Post
I love to pvp, but it is very discouraging as a Fed player. With no exageration at all I can say that the feds lose 4 out of the 5 battles i play. Either every klingon group is a premade or we have a serious balance issue.

I think the problem lies in the klingon ships incredibly high alpha. I am at RA level in a fully fitted sovereign with tanking skills and one BoP can tear through my tank in about 3-5 seconds. I have 47% resistance to disrupters....

This wouldnt be as bad as it sounds if the klingon's ability to tank were less than that of the feds but its not, in fact their tank is amazing. Even their so called "glass cannons" have a strong tank.

So, to be fair klingons do way too much up front damage. They can almost always destroy the first fed ship they fire on when they decloak putting us at a sever disadvantage.
Play FvF against an experienced group. You will see the exact same thing happening.

Until the moment people begin to note "Hey, if they are focusing fire with 3-5 ships on one player, maybe we should focus the heals of 3-5 ships on their target". And suddenly, things change.

Against the single BoP destroying your Cruiser. Preventive measures are important. A general tip is to run two Emergency Power to Shields, and cycle them. You get 100 % uptime this way, this means at no point can anyone hope to attack you without active defenses. Of course, it is possible someone uses Subucleonic Beam on you. The bad news is that all your running defensive powers are gone - the good news is that you won't be hit by a Fire on my Mark, Attack Pattern Alpha and Go Down Fighting. It is very useful for these cases too have a secondary line of defenses - for example Transfer Shield Strength or (if you're an Engineer) Rotate Shield Frequency. Or protect your hull with Polarize Hull.
Science Team can also help you with cooldown losses (but e careful, you might rather need an Engineering Team in the next 15 seconds, though if you got Auxillary to Structucal Integrity Field and/or Hazard Emitters, you might not).

If you see that your biggest problem are stuns from powers like Photonic Shockwave, Auxillary to Dampeners is a defense against that - though it requires you to have it up before your enemy is attacking. That can make it difficult, but if you use it, you have a little easier time turning your strong shield faces.

Over a longer going battle (once you survived the alpha strike), you need to ensure you regularly distribute your shield power. Shield heals and regeneration is always applied to all shield facings, but a shield facing at full health doesn't receive healing - meaning you lost precious healing.

Also, if you think you're really overwhelmed, Evasive Maneuvers can help you get out. Try to fly in a direction of one of your allies, in the hope of receiving a few heals or him engaging your attacker, too. Even if the enemy ship is following you, getting some distance will reduce his damage.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 25
01-08-2011, 02:07 AM
Well..

BoPs are probably the most dangerous "alpha-capable" ship in the game.. Not because its weapon are stronger that Fed escorts, but because it have access to stun.

HOWEVER

The BoP pays a huge price for this capability.. Any skill that penetrates shield (DEM/Tractor Repulsors) are a nasty weapon against BoPs, due to its low hull.

Also keep in mind, in order to accomplish this, the BoP need to spend its Commander slot on a Tactical and the LtC slot on Science, leaving 2x Lt slots for survival skills.. Furthermore, once it blows its alpha, it have nothing to fall back on (relying on 1 Beamskill, 1 AP, 1 Cannonskill and 1 Torp skill)

Seriously, most good cruisers can survive an Alpha from a fullfledged escort due to the OPd healing we have in game atm, so a single BoP is nothing really.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 26
01-08-2011, 03:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harddrive View Post
one BoP can tear through my tank in about 3-5 seconds. I have 47% resistance to disrupters....
BoPs generally have a weaker alpha than escorts - including Fed escorts. And...I hope they were actually using disruptors

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelineAaele View Post
BoPs are probably the most dangerous "alpha-capable" ship in the game.. Not because its weapon are stronger that Fed escorts, but because it have access to stun.

HOWEVER

The BoP pays a huge price for this capability.. Any skill that penetrates shield (DEM/Tractor Repulsors) are a nasty weapon against BoPs, due to its low hull.

Also keep in mind, in order to accomplish this, the BoP need to spend its Commander slot on a Tactical and the LtC slot on Science, leaving 2x Lt slots for survival skills.. Furthermore, once it blows its alpha, it have nothing to fall back on (relying on 1 Beamskill, 1 AP, 1 Cannonskill and 1 Torp skill)

Seriously, most good cruisers can survive an Alpha from a fullfledged escort due to the OPd healing we have in game atm, so a single BoP is nothing really.
Good points.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 27
01-08-2011, 03:39 AM
No BoP in this game can single handedly take out my Cruiser. I would even go so far as to say there are not even too many players out there if they were to double on my cruiser that could take me out. Granted, there are some really great BoP Players out there, but I am sure there are only a handful that could double up on me and do the job. I would have to give you Yak and maybe Minimax or players to their skill level to actually pull that one off.

Man, if you want to survive a BoPs alpha, get with me sometime and I can show you exactly how to build against them and be ready for some of their dirtiest tricks.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 28
01-08-2011, 03:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelineAaele View Post

Seriously, most good cruisers can survive an Alpha from a fullfledged escort due to the OPd healing we have in game atm...

OP healing? Serious? I do not agree one bit. Being a PvPer yourself, I am surprised to hear you say that. No single BoP should ever be able to take out a Cruiser....ever. Cruisers were the laughing stock of the game up until the changes to the healing were made. Now a Cruiser fills it's role as a Tank, unless they are hit with the forever-stuns or have stuns stacked on them, then they are paper. If anything, I would say nerf their damage, but never their healing.

Minimax vs Navar....If I had not min/maxed my build, he would have single handedly taken out my Cruiser over and over again. Thank whoever you deem holy that I know how to play and build my ship, otherwise that would have been the end of it. Not all people build that tight.

With that post of yours, can I assume that you do not play Cruisers in regular PvP? Not hating on you, just kind of surprised you would say their healing is OPed.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 29
01-08-2011, 04:19 AM
yes numb nuts healing is way OP when one guy can keep a squishy defiant alive through a double alpha with full ax sensor scan beta sub nuke`s shocks & couple og high yeald torps 3.
YES ID SAY HEALING IS OP.
just ask ERA from tsi he agreed that healing is stupid in this game.

& the way you go on about your cruiser dude it aint that hard to counter minmax alpha heck hes tried it on me when im afk in kerrat just looping ep2s.

So to the OP your build is Poor to say the least & thats without playing vs you .. you want tips on how to live talk to ERA & players like him.
WHY caused they ANNOY THE SNOT OUT OF KLINGS thats why
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 30
01-08-2011, 04:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilaniol View Post
yes numb nuts healing is way OP when one guy can keep a squishy defiant alive through a double alpha with full ax sensor scan beta sub nuke`s shocks & couple og high yeald torps 3.
YES ID SAY HEALING IS OP.
just ask ERA from tsi he agreed that healing is stupid in this game.

& the way you go on about your cruiser dude it aint that hard to counter minmax alpha heck hes tried it on me when im afk in kerrat just looping ep2s.

So to the OP your build is Poor to say the least & thats without playing vs you .. you want tips on how to live talk to ERA & players like him.
WHY caused they ANNOY THE SNOT OUT OF KLINGS thats why
Sorry, man but when a team heals their Tactical Ships, you think that Tactical ships should be blown to bits no matter how much healing they get? Using that very logic, why even bother healing then? This goes back to the DPS vs HPS argument that never ends. That story you tell about minimax, I find that hard to believe. Very hard to believe. But hey, I am willing to put that to the test. I just happen to have several tactical Ship Captains myself. Let's put your money where your mouth is.

I'll bring any of my four Tac Ships, you bring your stupid crazy healing Juggernaut and just loop EP2S and let's see just how long you live. I won't even use a Tricobalt like he does. I'll stick to your choice of weapons. Beams or Canons.

Hell, that sounds like a challenge of all challenges to me....I'm game, "numb nuts."

P.S. Just because that Tac ship was ready for your alpha on top of him getting extra heals from a team mate, does not mean healing is OP. It just means you guys weren't as slick as you thought you were and they were ready for you. That statement above proves nothing.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:21 AM.