Lt. Commander
# 21
01-09-2011, 12:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
But in the end, Cryptic has to design its UI once. I have to jump through the hoops every time. It's just as with the idea that you explicitly state a mission goal or the planet in Sector Space where your missiion starts from. Sure, every player can search for the information himself, but that means every player has to, instead of just the mission-creator.
I completely agree with you that Cryptic should design the UI for the Foundry right the first time. And I honestly hope that happens.

But since I'm convinced that it will not happen, I was attempting to make a suggestion as to how we, the players, could work around the limitations that will be built into the Foundry's rating/review system.
Lt. Commander
# 22
01-09-2011, 01:22 PM
I like both of those suggestions, Armsman and Peregrine_Falcon. Thank you I had been hoping that there would be a dedicated subforum for reviewing UGC on here, but I now see that others are using this discussion sub-forum for exactly that.

Thanks again.
Lt. Commander
# 23
01-10-2011, 07:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
There are two sides to the story. First of all, your right that mission authors arent responsible for pathing errors. But that said, you should test your mission before you publish it, and not just once. If you discern that pathing errors are causing too much of a problem on your mission, then you either have to figure out how to "fix" the issue or not publish your mission. If you decide to go ahead and publish anyway knowing there is a significant(key word) problem, then its partly your fault if you get bad reviews.
Ok... how can I fix the ESD hallways in a mission that takes place on ESD with NPCs and BOFFs?!

If people had to "Fix" or not publish their missions then there wouldn't be a single freakin ground map in the Foundry right now...

Quote:
My prediction is already coming true. Now that the kind of criticism levelled at Cryptic since release is being levelled against players' creations, they can't handle it.

If you're going to publish missions in the Foundry for public consumption, I'd spend a couple of hours reading these boards to prepare yourself for what you're about to be in for. Thinking that they're going to go easier on you as a player than they do on Cryptic is naive.
Well the thing is... when people fuss about limitations and bugs in the game...they're fussing at the people who have control over the game...the Foundry pathing and bugs...are another thing for people to fuss at Cryptic about, not mission makers. Cryptic employees get paid to make missions, people spending 10+ hours don't get any payment other than a lil fame and joy from a decent review. No need to stomp on them for things Cryptic can control that they can't :p Especially when the same people come on here and say there's no content in-game and go discourage new content makers with stupid scores/reviews.
Lt. Commander
# 24
01-11-2011, 01:09 PM
I have to agree with the OP, most of my reviews (all 10 of them for both missions) mostly knock points off for things I can't really do anything about. I still am shaking my head after having someone tell me my mission's storyline and characters were too complex. . .too complex? I don't get it. Are they asking me to dumb it down?

~D
Lt. Commander
# 25
01-12-2011, 02:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine_Falcon View Post
I completely agree with you that Cryptic should design the UI for the Foundry right the first time. And I honestly hope that happens.

But since I'm convinced that it will not happen, I was attempting to make a suggestion as to how we, the players, could work around the limitations that will be built into the Foundry's rating/review system.
Well, with that said, you are certainly correct. Mailing is a good option as a work-around, as are the forums.

Note: Cool option for Cryptic that might be a minor thing to do: Add a link to the mission where you can directly get to the ingame mail system with the author already filled in, and the title of the mission.

Making reviews a subform of the Foundry forums might make sense, too.Though maybe such a forum would end up in flames and hate and hurt feelings?
Lt. Commander
# 26
01-12-2011, 05:50 AM
Starbase UGC has a live chat window functioning now... we did a "live" review for the author last night... a very nice solution.. oh... by the way... Foundry mission teaming works now...
Lt. Commander
# 27
01-12-2011, 06:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon_BlownApart
Starbase UGC has a live chat window functioning now... we did a "live" review for the author last night... a very nice solution.. oh... by the way... Foundry mission teaming works now...
Oh, teaming works now? Anyone tried out how the space encounters actually scale with team size? What type of ship ends up in which slot?
Lt. Commander
# 28
01-12-2011, 07:08 AM
Unknown ATM... it was a chaos moment... will advise after more thorough testing.
Lt. Commander
# 29
01-12-2011, 10:45 AM
I kinda wish a star rating wasn't shown until 'x' number of reviews are made. Right now, if a mission gets 1 review of 1 star, it goes to the bottom never to be seen again.
Lt. Commander
# 30
01-12-2011, 12:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega_Glory
I kinda wish a star rating wasn't shown until 'x' number of reviews are made. Right now, if a mission gets 1 review of 1 star, it goes to the bottom never to be seen again.
Same is true in reverse...5 star 1 reviews > 4 star 5 reviews...it's all averages.

There should be some "number of reviews" weighting to sort that out for both cases. Say like 5 reviews...then your score should start counting. AFAIK you could just as easily (right now) review yourself for "5 Stars" to get to the top of the list.

Another addition would be to have a "I Feel Lucky" search that would pull a random selection of non-top 10 or 20, etc. missions for you to peruse.

I think another factor that should go into it is "number of plays" & "number of plays completed" -- because it seems like most ppl are *not* reviewers.

This should factor into "hottest" with an "ageing" of the "last played" date/time.