Lt. Commander
# 11
01-09-2011, 08:02 AM
The idea of using personal credits to improve your starship is so against everything Star Trek stands for I do not even know where to start....

1. What about those of us who do not care to collect emblems or EC? Your idea is very biased towards those that think of themselves as rich.

2. In the whole of Star Trek not once ever has it ever been indicated that any form of transaction needs to take place in order to get a ship.

I could go on and fill the entire forums with why this is so far from adding the 'Trek' into STO but I have better thing to do with my time.

P.S. This is the number 1 contender for NUMPTY thread of the year award.
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-09-2011, 08:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELITE-Kaos View Post
2. In the whole of Star Trek not once ever has it ever been indicated that any form of transaction needs to take place in order to get a ship.
Game mechanics. I agree that the term EC is a bit weird - SFC used "Prestige" for this kind of stuff.

That said, buying new ships for EC has been in the game from day 1. And it's a concession to players in any way. Following your line of thinking, if this were "closer to Trek", you would get your ship assigned to yourself, and not be able to select it from a list that includes clearly outdated designs which have no place in the current era.
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-09-2011, 04:53 PM
I feel the need to bump this
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-09-2011, 06:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELITE-Kaos View Post
The idea of using personal credits to improve your starship is so against everything Star Trek stands for I do not even know where to start....

1. What about those of us who do not care to collect emblems or EC? Your idea is very biased towards those that think of themselves as rich.

I could go on and fill the entire forums with why this is so far from adding the 'Trek' into STO but I have better thing to do with my time.

P.S. This is the number 1 contender for NUMPTY thread of the year award.

Quote:
Then don't collect them. You don't need to collect either currency. You can use the standard gear that comes with each new ship and upgrade it with mission rewards. You can craft or do exploration missions to get better gear. EC have extremely limited use in STO. If I remember correctly, I have a few million EC between my characters, and I can't find anything to spend it on. I can craft or explore for better gear than I can buy for EC.

Quote:
This is a game, It's styled as an MMORPG, although I don't really think it fits the MM part of that very well. Games have certain mechanics. RPGs in general have a leveling mechanic to track player progress; there are also often gear restrictions by level.

People have tried creating games where you can have whatever you want whenever you want it, and that doesn't work well for the RPG genre. Players need to be able to achieve. Players need to be able to make measurable progress towards achievements. Leveling does that, and currencies help make sure that good gear isn't effortlessly acquired.

On screen, Star Trek is a futuristic peace-keeping, scientific, and exploration force organized with a military structure. Lieutenants do not regularly command starships, even old ones. However, in order to reward progress, you gain more powerful ships as you increase in level. You receive one ship at each level and have the option of using currency to purchase additional ships if you want.

If this were on-screen Starfleet, you would have been assigned a ship and given orders you were expected to carry out. In STO, you're allowed to choose your ship and decide which orders you want to follow.

Energy Credits, Emblems, Merits, and Medals are all ways of quantifying your reputation and access to resources within Starfleet. The Federation operates in a post-scarcity economy; it doesn't use currency, but in a game currency helps to make the intangible more concrete.

You spend Starfleet Merits to get better officers or new abilities for current officers. From an RP perspective that simply means that you're using your reputation to attract better officers.

You can requisition better gear if you have exploration or PvP tokens. From an RP perspective that simply means that your missions require particular equipment.

This game has many flaws, especially where shallow (Kill! Kill! Kill!) content is concerned, but I don't think currency is really a huge problem. They do need to either add EC sinks or reduce the amount of EC available.
Career Officer
# 15
10-12-2013, 11:31 PM
Cryptic/PWE has been for a while been trying to solve the conundrum of how to make use out of the extra ship slots and bridge officer slots they sell. The idea for this is simple: Create fleet events that require the operational asset to call upon your ships in dry-dock by assigning bridge officers to those ships. In essence, being able to call upon all your ships you are not using as "pets" with a bridge officer assigned to each as its captain.

The Mechanics
Of course not many players will fill up their ship slots with t5 ships -- there aren't enough of them, but they do have some older refits laying around they likely won't use any more because of the new CStore ships or T5 ships. With that being said, a nice balance to this is the mechanic of assigning a bridge officer to said ship you wish to activate in the event they need to be called upon. Of course this bridge officer will need to be of rank to command the ship -- so a commander level bridge officer wouldn't be able to pilot an Ody, but it would be able to pilot the heavy cruisers and other commander level ships.

Other Uses
These ships can and should also be able to be sent out on assignment, and each ship you use as part of your armada should raise your duty officer pool a bit (say +25 per ship). This will not only encourage just the purchase of a duty officer slot, but it will encourage purchasing of bridge officer and ship slots as well -- even a subscription for the additional slots.

Implementation/Cost
I can't imagine this would be very hard to implement. The duty officer system is already in place and could essentially be copied and pasted for ship duties. There are also call abilities, the only modification that would need to be made is making the number of ships variable to the number of ships in the armada as well as the class, weapons, equipment, and costumes of the ships.

Lore Impact
This will actually REALLY help continuity of the story of Star Trek, as I don't recall a single Admiral out there that didn't have multiple ships at his disposal and command at the same time. This will fix this inherent flaw of STO, as well as giving incentive and reason for players to eventually level up higher than 50 (for a slightly increased base ship pool and higher ranked bridge officers). This will also allow for a very structured and complex form of battle as well.

Foreseen Technical Issues
I imagine the sheer amount of ships that could be spawned could be a real problem on clients running on old computers. I'm not sure how this can be overcome, but I know a few friends using laptops to run STO that have issues with even smaller amounts of ships in the crystalline events and they report the star-base fleet event (20 player event) virtually unplayable.

Another problem would be game mechanical. I think it was said a while back that level 50 was some kind of hard-cap for the coding of the game. This really should have never have happened and regardless needs to be fixed to allow for more end-game content. This would likely go hand-in-hand with bridge officers as well. Their max level would need to be amended to allow for promotion to captain.

Restrictions
Of course we wouldn't want a player to group up with a level 10 Lt Commander and run through the Episodes with his armada one-shotting the bosses, thus the ability to have your armada with you would need to be in new and specialized zones where the amount of mobs would meet the amount of the armada to make it a greater challenge than a single ship.

Final Thoughts
I believe this would solve the issue of providing the extra income to PWE to keep the game alive, as well as give the players the massive end-game battles they have wanted to see without having to be a certain class or use an ability. This would also give the game a overall larger filling making it appear to be bigger than what it is.

Quote:
I'm not sure how this is as negative as you are trying to make it sound by placing the labels of biased in there. In such case the entire world as we know it is biased, but I don't know how we can necessarily call this a bad thing. There has to be some bias to a game to mark achievements, else it is pointless as a multi-player aspect. In fact, the more bias in a game such as STO the more fun it is and the more players are encouraged to achieve and spend more time in the game with less burnout.

There are a lot of people out there who don't like collecting, those very same people also believe that getting something for nothing is OK too. But I challenge you to find one MMORPG where you get all you want for absolutely no effort that is still alive and active. In fact, you'll find that every game this has occurred on in some what or another failed -- I can name 8 very popular MMORPGs that did this and failed, starting with EverQuest II. The problem becomes, by getting everything you want for no effort, is that there is lacking any competition, which is a driving factor in MMO's whether it be achievement competition or pvp competition.
Said NO to Arc. Gets punished by not being given a free outfit, free lobi, and free shuttle. Now forced to use Arc's site when trying to get to STO site. Still not rewards for beta testing the Arc website by force. Bravo Cryptic.

Last edited by lordlalo; 10-12-2013 at 11:45 PM.
Lt. Commander
# 16
10-13-2013, 01:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archived Post View Post
Not really - it's realism that even with upgrades you just cannot make a Miranda-class as powerful as a Sovereign. And in case of a Nova: She might have new tech, but the Voyager being tactically superior was pointed out by Janeway on screen, and Ransom agreed. STO's tier progression does make sense. In a way.

You could argue that technology upgrades are represented by fitting higher Mk gear.

And that's exactly what I don't want to see. Really, an ancient TOS-Connie or NX shouldn't be able to beat the crap out of a Sovereign.

"Viable at endgame" does not mean "superior to contemporary designs".
I wouldn't mind having the ability to upgrade the lower tier ships.
It wouldn't be about "an ancient TOS-Connie or NX" "being able to beat the crap out of a Sovereign"
Some sort of upgrading system like Gran Turismo.

You can upgrade the hull, add weapon slots and upgrade Boff slots, but the maximum potential of higher Tier ships is always higher.
I.e. an upgraded Tier 1 ship is "as good" as a base Tier 4 ship.
an upgraded Tier 5 ship is the equivalent of a base Tier 7 ship (if they existed)

I would like to be able to fly the lower tier ships in just normal PvE situations at level 50.
Survivor of Romulus
# 17
10-13-2013, 01:04 AM
Guys, Please check the date of the thread's last post before posting, as this thread is over 2 years old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by borticuscryptic View Post
I find this line of replies sadly hilarious. We put a lot of work into the massive list of fixes/changes above, and ya'll are hung up on the ability to skip our content. =p
Closed Thread