Lt. Commander
I know that might not make much sense to a lot of players but the truth is, I love how difficult these missions are. I think they should be difficult - Although I didn't always have that perspective. However, with the new borg tech you get (from what I hear is awesome) I think it makes it worth it. I always thought that as difficult as STF's were you should get something unique, power boosting, something to show off your hard work and that's what they've done.

I like the fact that you really have to work for these things and STF's are currently the only way to show that off. I like how much it pushes you to think and work with others and in the entire game, I feel that STFs are the most successful at bringing players together to work together.

Fix bugs, yes, there are bugs out there, but please Devs do NOT make them a lot easier. I personally think the STFs has a very epic feel to them and sometimes just the experience of beating it alone makes me feel like I've accomplished something big. I personally love the fact that I can say I beat terradome, it was difficult, frusterating, very time consuming, and bugged - But for some stupid reason I just love the fact that I beat, if only I had something to show off for it though lol.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-14-2011, 10:08 PM
This is exactly what I've been trying to say... Bravo...
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-14-2011, 10:28 PM
Agreed.

Unfortunately I have gotten them down so well they are fairly easy now. This will happen with any game I suppose. But the challenge when I first started learning them was great. I wish there was more support for STFs and more would be made. The loot is great the first time you complete them but after that you have little use for it. I still run them for fun but different loot would be great. I supose even then I would have all the gear so not a huge deal. The only issue I have is what do I do with my 10+ borg sets? lol. Would be nice to be able to exchange them for at least an emblem or something.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-14-2011, 11:02 PM
Try a different role to play in each STF... mastering all aspects leads to true greatness,,,
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-15-2011, 12:39 AM
I'd love to have you guys show me the ropes, I cannot beat the cure for my life.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-15-2011, 04:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phunkmaster3k
Unfortunately I have gotten them down so well they are fairly easy now.
Yup, I've played them once as well. Well, more than once. But once is all you really need once you've figured out the basics. Just need to know what is going to happen and the strats for a couple of fights.

Quote:
The loot is great the first time you complete them but after that you have little use for it.
Yeah, one of my two beefs with STFs. If they are supposed to be end game content, there needs to be a reason to run them more than once per character.

The other beef is that they contain too much filler. The gates in the Cure, for example, I'd rather have one less of them and another interesting boss fight instead. Another prime example would be the generators in KA. Six of them. Why? I don't know. There's no difference between them. It isn't like the difficulty ramps up every two or something. Or there's a slight difference to each group of two, requiring a slightly different tactic. Nope, just six of them. By the time you've taken out three or four, you've pretty much proven you can take out six. Pointless filler is pointless.

Note that this isn't about making them easier, just more interesting. If I had my way, for example, I'd lock players in the room for the first boss fight in Infected, actually make that fight a bit harder by removing the easy kite him down the hall tactic, turn him into an actual boss fight, do or wipe. And if you wipe, start that fight over from the top.

Anyway, those two factors, coupled with a lack of earlier group content to teach people a few simple basics (obvious things like don't aggro extra stuff), well, they could be so much better with a bit of work. And, of course, with something to encourage grouping before 45, so people aren't as overawed and unprepared when they finally face a group situation.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-15-2011, 04:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_484
I'd love to have you guys show me the ropes, I cannot beat the cure for my life.
give napoleon or me a hail ingame, we might be able to get you into a well prepared team to show you around.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-15-2011, 07:35 AM
What he said... I actually led a group through last night after having too many cocktails... we made it through with out too many problems... I had never led a team through before... we failed a few gates and had to redo them and some players wanted to do it the non-aggro way, which I declined and we went straight at them... with me concentrating on the problem areas...

I must give praise to the team for sticking with the plan even though things got tough. The Mantra of never leave a man behind to respawn is very important. I found the Grenade Satchel very useful and Cryo Grenades saved the day in my opinion.

We were 2 tacs, 2 engineers and 1 sci... which seemed to be a good combination. I took quite a few "dirt naps" and you must realize that tacs with high DPS need to draw the aggro away from the other players, even at the cost of their own lives, and have the sci player revive you to continue.

Our team did very well at listening and following directions, which were very short and not very specific. Mainly designating a Tac on Trans 1 an engineer each on trans 2 & 3, while the sci and myself "floated" from 1 backing up the whole time all the way to trans 4.

All team members start at trans one and take out all spawns and when the elite is about half dead I start trans #2 and just kept backing up using alternating split beams of death and lobbing grenades from the grenade satchel causing as much death and mayhem as possible... again, the cryo grenades really helped slow all the spawns down, and because I was "backing" my way to trans #4, I got quite a few flanking shots on the workers.

The reason we failed mostly was me and the SCI getting rooted between trans 3 & 4... I can still see it in my head... rooted and killed and napping on the ground while the only thing needed was to start trans #4. It was my fault as I'd never been assigned trans #4 before... then I switched into the grenade satchel and just lobbed grenades at everything in sight and things went smoother.

After activating trans #4 the borg spawned right on top of me and they got a cryo grenade and whatever else I had.. including a fresh security team. I really soiled my armor at this point but the next thing you know... the message in my chat said the gate was down and I did my "Run - Forest - Run" imitation... and got through the gate and broke line-of-sight around the gate corner... then I started looking for the rest of the team and made sure everyone made it through... drawing aggro so the sci could revive the fallen.

Fighting Armek seemed bizarre... we went for the sci tank with a bat'leth strategy, but somehow Armek made it all the way behind the tree... I took several "naps" and finally closed on Armek with Bat'Leth in hand to help the sci out... of course he killed me... but I had diverted some aggro and the sci was able to finish him off. The end space battle went very fast and was not an issue at all.

So.. that's how I did it last night without a "super experienced" team and myself as a first time Cure leader. To those naysayers out there... this is the proof that the cure is very do-able for what I think an average STF team is...

We had one bug at the end where one player did not get credit for completing the mission... it seems he was respawning when the Carrier was destroyed... fortunately he had previously completed the mission so it was not a giant tragedy...
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-15-2011, 12:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_silencer
give napoleon or me a hail ingame, we might be able to get you into a well prepared team to show you around.
I'll definitely do that, what times are you guys usually on?