Lt. Commander
# 1 Starship Scale
01-08-2011, 01:09 AM
First off THANK YOU Dan Stahl. This last Ask Cryptic had some very good questions that i found pleasurable to read. It has been brought to my attention from some officers that certain ships are out of scale. So I began to think about what the solution could be and if that solution might be a quick fix.

For example, Captains have said the defiant is too large and that the intrepid should not be the size of the galaxy's saucer section. It was way larger than the intrepid and so on and so forth. So I am curious as to how many people would agree that any of the ships are not to scale.

My thought was by simply scaling up the size of all in-game cruiser class ships the problem would correct itself. This would include ships on the klingon side. Though I dont know enough about those ships to say with any degree of certainty whether the same problem or solution is valid to include the KDF.

I have read the posts that revolve around the interior of ships not being able to be scaled down due to camera clipping but I cannot see how this could also be an issue for the tactical view of one's ship from space. If the scale could use a little tweaking what is the consensus out there that simply scaling up all cruiser class star ships will solve the issue and make the myriad of ships in-game seem more authentic upon visual observation?

Obviously this is not a Priority One Alert but I'd like to confirm just how intersted the community is or isnt with this often discussed topic among Federation Captains and their colleagues.

-Captain Tripwire-:p
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-08-2011, 01:59 AM
I think you'll find it was that big.
http://www.merzo.net/index.html
Go to 1X and match up the intrepid with the galaxy's saucer.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-08-2011, 02:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral-Joseph
I think you'll find it was that big.
http://www.merzo.net/index.html
Go to 1X and match up the intrepid with the galaxy's saucer.
What he said.

Granted, the Defiant didn't have consistent scaling, either relative to DS9 or relative to Klingon vessels.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-08-2011, 02:19 AM
Yes cannon scale is way off on multiple ships. See chart: http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/j...leet-chart.jpg
Lt. Commander
# 5 New Point of View
01-08-2011, 02:30 AM
After talking with a fleetmate I have come to the conclusion that not only are the ships of the line in game NOT up to scale but that simply scaling up the cruiser class ships will not solve the issue. There are many of the ships that need to be modified scale wise.

You cannot think that a tier 1 ship should not be as large or smaller than a tier 5 etc. Each ship has a size and shape unique to its initial design and designative duty in starfleet. Therefore the scale in game should reflect this. I am no computer expert. But I have heard it mentioned from individuals who are more advanced concerning the knowledge of game mechanics and design that it would not be hard to modify the ship scaling in STO for more canon look and authentic feel.

It would be nice to see as much response as possible so that the devs can take notice if this is something the majority would like to see implemented when the time is available. It would also be nice to have this type of information in game. The same as the information that is now awesomely available upon scanning range of an approaching star system.

-Captain Tripwire-
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-08-2011, 02:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiburse View Post
Yes cannon scale is way off on multiple ships. See chart: http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/j...leet-chart.jpg
Actually, that puts the Intrepid aat the same size as the Galaxy Saucer, contradicting the OP.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-08-2011, 03:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by U.S.S.Bloodmage
After talking with a fleetmate I have come to the conclusion that not only are the ships of the line in game NOT up to scale but that simply scaling up the cruiser class ships will not solve the issue. There are many of the ships that need to be modified scale wise.

You cannot think that a tier 1 ship should not be as large or smaller than a tier 5 etc. Each ship has a size and shape unique to its initial design and designative duty in starfleet. Therefore the scale in game should reflect this. I am no computer expert. But I have heard it mentioned from individuals who are more advanced concerning the knowledge of game mechanics and design that it would not be hard to modify the ship scaling in STO for more canon look and authentic feel.

It would be nice to see as much response as possible so that the devs can take notice if this is something the majority would like to see implemented when the time is available. It would also be nice to have this type of information in game. The same as the information that is now awesomely available upon scanning range of an approaching star system.

-Captain Tripwire-

Here is a nice website where u find specs and size comparisons.

http://www.ditl.org/
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-08-2011, 05:28 AM
What always puzzled me is how the Galaxy class is really tiny compared to the D'deridex warbird. (copied and pasted from Jeff Russell's starship dimensions)

Not exaggerated either.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-08-2011, 05:32 AM
Quote:
What always puzzled me is how the Galaxy class is really tiny compared to the D'deridex warbird. (copied and pasted from Jeff Russell's starship dimensions)

Not exaggerated either.
The Romulans are compensating for something.

Probably lack of honor.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-08-2011, 07:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten-Nemesis View Post

Not exaggerated either.
They had to be the best at something and screwing each other over wasn't working too well.