Lt. Commander
# 41
01-08-2011, 08:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikoy
One thing I did enjoy A LOT in WOW though was sacking the opposite factions home base. What are your thoughts and Darren's as well on Allowing a raid on Qo'nos or ESD?
Opposed. Killing mission givers is probably the second biggest reason I quit WoW (the first being the PvP-induced nerfs to PvE).

PvP ruins games really fast for me.
Lt. Commander
# 42
01-08-2011, 08:27 AM
That appears to speak to certain types of MMO players being undesirable.

Perhaps a harsh infraction policy similar to the one here on the forums to discourage such behavior?
Lt. Commander
# 43
01-08-2011, 08:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thlaylie View Post
Perhaps a harsh infraction policy similar to the one here on the forums to discourage such behavior?
A tempting offer. But not good enough. I want nothing to do with PvP. I don't want it in my hubs, I don't want it in my gear, and I definitely don't want it running around in an open fashion in STO.

So far, Cryptic's got the PvPers corraled in their instanced arenas. I hope it stays that way.
Lt. Commander
# 44
01-08-2011, 09:01 AM
LOL!

I have noticed that to experience PvE in a realistically canon fashion you must set difficulty to Normal.

As you get Higher in difficulty the opponents do aggravating things like fly about at 0% hull while you pound them for a bit. Occasionally you will explode with over 50% hull from the undetectable or logable enemy attack.
Lt. Commander
# 45
01-08-2011, 09:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxbad
Unlikely that I'll ever see them. I doubt anyone will see open world PvP in StO as anything other than a vague promise intended to keep the Pro-PvP players subscribed. Based on this comment, I don't foresee a future where I ever renew my STO subscription.
Word. This game will never ever see real PvP. Because Cryptic drove away most of the open PvP players after start there is mostly only PvE players left i feel.And the few players who PvP they dont want to lose them so they fabricate these promises were there will be in some magical future there will be more and better PvP.

This weekend i'm playing in the rift beta on a PvP server.And damd its alot of fun.We are like a 100 players running around the woods fighting super huge bosses from the rifts.Large zonez with lots of players and as i said with PvP everywere and its just cool. Now i know some players on these forums are to stupid to understand that in many of the MMO's you can flag your self so you dont have to PvP.The same could be the case in this game.But as i said that will never happend.If they ever put in a open zone for it then i this that is atleast 2-3 year away when you see what the devs are talking about, crew and other fluff things. STO have kerrat and 1 instance PvP map.And no the arena maps have nothing to do with STAR TREK so they dont matter.They are brain dead and silly and good for ganking the feds because they never leave spawn.
Lt. Commander
# 46
01-08-2011, 09:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzureAlliance View Post
Opposed. Killing mission givers is probably the second biggest reason I quit WoW (the first being the PvP-induced nerfs to PvE).

PvP ruins games really fast for me.
That totally sounds like the type of PvP that gives PvP a bad reputation, so I am absolutely against it. The least we need is people getting angry about PvP players.

PvP has to harmonize with the existing culture. I don't think the Queue system is the right answer, from a long-term perspective. But total freedom and the ability to ruin people's fun that are not even interested in PvP is definitely not right for this game.

I don't think we will ever have, should have, or need to have Open PvP across all Sectors. What I do believe is that we can set apart one Sector Block - or even more then one and have it a "Open PvP" area. And I think we can still have "flagging" - people not interested in PvP can pass through the sector, but they can't do anything there. The Instance system for the Sector Blocks might even be setup so that non-flagged people don't actually get into an instance with a lot of people flagged for PvP.

In my mind, Open PvP is not even close as open as some people would like it to, I suppose. But I think the real drive for Open PvP is the idea that there is some kind of "persistence" in what we do. That we are not just fighting a meaningless mock battle in an instanced fight, but that this fight has consequences for the factions.

In my view, Open PvP would work somewhat like this:

There is one Open PvP Sector Block. The Sector Block is divided into several territories.
Associated with each territory are certain "PvP Missions" - possibly more then one. If all PvP missions in that territory are won by a particular faction, the territory changes hands to the other faction.

Controlling territory has some meaning. You can only take control over territories adjacent to your own, for example. If you control territory, you have access to the facilities in that territory. These facilities might be unique NPC vendors, Bridge Officer Trainers, Crafting stations for consumables, and so on. They might also give benefits across all Open PvP "matches". For example, there might be a Territory that contains a "Tachyon Sensor Array". Inside an Open PvP match, Captains of the faction controlling one of the arrays might be able to each activate the Tachyon Sensor Array to reveal all cloaked vessels on the map for 15 seconds. Naturally, Klingons (and at some point, Romulans) will do everything in their power to take over this array. There might be special PvP missions that don't allow taking over the array, but can be used to disable it temporarily, too.

The matches themselves would be designed to be based on tiers, just like current PvP matches, until we find a way to autolevel players to get "fair" results.

In addition to the War Zone like instances, players can also engage each other as they meet in open space. This will send them to a PvP match map (which one might be chosen by one of the players, depending on the current control of a faction over the sector), and leaves behind an emergency call in space that other players can fly towards to and interact with to also get to the match map.

Each faction would have one "home territory". Losing that territory might be particularly crippling, but also very hard - requiring control of all other territories and winning enough Open Space encounters. This might eventually allow attacking Earth or Vulcan. (Only as a "raid", not a permanent conquest).

The advantage of limiting the Open PvP area to a single Sector Block is that it doesn't interfere with the PvE storyline in the game. Earth will always be controlled by Starfleet and the Federation. There will always be a group of Vulcan Monks on Vulcan to learn about the Vulcan history and solve the diplomacy mission...
Lt. Commander
# 47
01-08-2011, 11:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SapphicZoid
Can I have your stuff?

j/k kinda :p
You want it? I haven't logged into the game since I started playing EVE as, Roxbad Rex, about mid-December. Say the word and I'll e-mail you my log-in info.
Lt. Commander
# 48
01-08-2011, 11:48 AM
Sector space PVP just doesn't have any chance in my opinion in STO. Probably way to many things would have to be done make it work to many problems and to many ways to exploit.

The scale is all wrong in sector space our ships are almost as big as stars in sector space so it doesn't look right.

People could say they need help with something get people to join their group. Flag the team and the let their buddies in the other faction kill them when they flag.

People ganking people who enter the zone in the sector.

People entering into systems or leaving the sector to exploit PVP mechanics to get away from combat.

It seems it would take massive amounts of time and work just to get sector space PVP going. Then their would be lots of problems with trying to keep it from affecting people who didn't want to PVP. Plus trying to develop a flagging system that would counter many ways to exploit and grief.

I just don't think it's realistic to think that can be added into STO. It sounds like sector space would have to be redesigned. It would cause more problems to players than players it would please.

The entering into a open PVP system is already in the game. If they add a new sector with nothing but PVP systems in it. There wouldn't be any interference with the people who didn't want to PVP.
Lt. Commander
# 49
01-08-2011, 12:20 PM
Just wanted to comment on this thread,

When making my question to stahl, i didnt quite get what I really wanted to ask, but with his answer, it answered it.

I dont want the entire STO game to be an open world pvp environment, what id like and sure others would like is the ability to have options that eather place us in a special forces (similar to swg) mode where the other faction can attack me/other people who are placed in SF mode be attackable. This would allow those people who dont want to be griefed (which seems to be the heart of the matter for alot of pve'rs) the ability to play the game without headaches. I dont see any complications with that idea...

This game has always... to me anyways tryed to incorporate values and aspects from all "branches" of players and something that still has been left out is the pvp crowd. We want to be able to fight one another at will if we so choose, please allow us this dan. It may take time but we are willing to wait.

Loc
Lt. Commander
# 50
01-08-2011, 02:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Englebert
I really want open PVP in STO. What I mean by open PVP is a sector with open PVP systems you enter to have open PVP. Not fighting in sector space since you can't do that now. I thinking asking them to change the way sector space works is unrealistic. It would also force PVP on players who don't want to do it.

Not that I would want to flag and just fight anywhere. That just gets old fast, choosing when to enter PVP and having where it doesn't impose it on those that don't want to PVP. Is a much better option and more realistic. Because most people don't want to PVP and there is a lot of people who are just casual PVP'ers.

I hope we get a sector with open PVP in the systems. Where those who want PVP all the time can have it. Those who don't want to PVP get it imposed on them.
/signed!!!

We need something like a real neutral zone. Anyone caught in there is fair game.

I can't stand the arena based pvp like we now.