Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
As well know, the events calender is out of date. For anyone isnt aware, this isnt some time consuming thing to do; it only takes as much time as it takes to type in the notes. That being the case, it seems that either someone is too lazy to take the couple mins to do it(which I doubt), or Cryptic doesnt even know what their own schedule is going to be for Jan yet. Thats pretty disturbing
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-08-2011, 07:59 AM
Or dstahl posted yesterday that they were staying late working on the new Duty Officer System and that he's working on the Schedule (along with the Engineering Report) this weekend.

He was also busy working on a proposal to get the Garumba for in-game currency.

Also, pass the cheerios.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-08-2011, 08:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
Also, pass the cheerios.
Oh yeah, that was funny. "Watch the DvD and eat some cheerios until we get there" = play Fed content until we finish the KDF. That was a classic line.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-08-2011, 08:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
Or dstahl posted yesterday that they were staying late working on the new Duty Officer System and that he's working on the Schedule (along with the Engineering Report) this weekend.
Exactly my point. We're already in Jan, and the schedule hasnt been made. Thats kind of strange for a business.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-08-2011, 08:10 AM
In my experience Cryptic has been good about staying on top of their tasks while still delivering juicy information to us on a regular basis. There are many other entertainment companies out there who I gave money to and felt they under delivered. I do not believe you will ever find that to be the case with this team at Cryptic.

The schedule is still somewhat flexible right now. The next major foundry update will be arriving around the end of January, but it will have to get tested and proven on Tribble before going live.

It would be nice to have the schedule posted, rather than digging through developer posts to find it, but that is not how they are operating right now. Their focus has shifted from delivery date first to quality and stability first. Since they are likely to miss dates by a few days, or even a week or two, the calendar doesn't help anyone very much right now. On the positive side, they have been very good about delivering great content in a timely fashion. It is not like we have to wait forever to see some vague promise materialize. Cryptic mentions a feature and we see it soon after.

Edit: It is very clear that they have their own internal schedules and due dates. Dstahl is very on top of what resources are available for what projects. Many of the designers work extra hours, beyond their assignments, to deliver extra things for the community. The internal work schedule that they have does not really work out to a release schedule, because testing and QA are very important at this time.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-08-2011, 08:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by James.T.Picard
Exactly my point. We're already in Jan, and the schedule hasnt been made. Thats kind of strange for a business.
In all reality, the content portion is already scheduled. However, the calendar also includes the marketing (and c-store) schedule as well as live events.

Depending on how far they go out, the 1 year anniversary is the 2nd, so I'd assume that content-wise, they have a firm grasp but the marketing details and c-store stuff are more likely to still be open. The company still runs, even if dstahl is sick. However, before things get posted on the website for the game he's Executive Producing for, he needs to inspect them (and, like the Garamba's case, go to bat for the players over).

Keep in mind, the calendar usually includes links to feature pages. I'm sure there will be a one-year anniversary page and a lot of back-end promotional work for that and the Foundry. Marketing isn't quite under his control as Atari staff provide a lot of those things: i.e. web support, graphic design across the company, etc.

It's coming and dstahl said he'd work on it this weekend.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-08-2011, 08:59 AM
the problem is with technology. when your making a game things change all the time. they have in the past gone weeks and months in advance only for things to change and people complain. im sure the know exactly when they would like to release everything but if they decide to put in on the calendar in advance (and things then change) people will moan at them.

thats why in recent months they have been showing shorter lead time son the calender but being far more accurate.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-08-2011, 09:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by James.T.Picard
As well know, the events calender is out of date. For anyone isnt aware, this isnt some time consuming thing to do; it only takes as much time as it takes to type in the notes. That being the case, it seems that either someone is too lazy to take the couple mins to do it(which I doubt), or Cryptic doesnt even know what their own schedule is going to be for Jan yet. Thats pretty disturbing
disturbing to you maybe. i find no issue with the fact they are a bit behind on this. in fact, while i applaud the communication outlets they offer for the community, it also serves as a backlash for them since many of you would then cry foul, loud and clear, when something posted on the calender was not on time or was rescheduled due to unforeseen issues.

people get sick, deadlines pushed back, computers crash, power goes out, and the list goes on. give the team some time to get back up to par after the holidays and people being sick.

shyte happens.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-08-2011, 09:13 AM
This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Forum Usage Guidelines ~GM Tiyshen
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-08-2011, 09:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Revo
the problem is with technology. when your making a game things change all the time. they have in the past gone weeks and months in advance only for things to change and people complain. im sure the know exactly when they would like to release everything but if they decide to put in on the calendar in advance (and things then change) people will moan at them.

thats why in recent months they have been showing shorter lead time son the calender but being far more accurate.
And this is why some companies, such as Blizzard, do not give any dates. I remember the one time they had a release date for a promotional item, there was a problem and the item had to be delayed. Three weeks later, it was finally released. To my knowledge, the item is still bugged.