Lt. Commander
# 11
01-09-2011, 07:02 PM
They should really draw it up like they do with the Ferengi, who are not apart of the federation but have those who have chosen to serve... who's to say that there are Orions and other KDFers who are Anti-Fed... the same applies for all the Fed species. Some Vulcan may see the Klingon side as logical :p
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-11-2011, 07:30 PM
while I cannot find any hard evidence that there was ever an orion in Starfleet I did find mention on Memory Alpha that in a alternate universe in the animated series I think it was that there was a Orion woman in starfleet. Also in the Decipher Star Trek Role Playing Game they mention in the species book that there is one Orion world that is a member of the Federation.

Now with that being said I think it was cannonicaly mentioned in one of the Star Treks that the Orions once had a vast inter-galactic 'empire' at one point that collapsed long before the the formation of the Federation, it could be argued that only one possibly more but not all of the Orion 'homeworlds' are owned by the klingon empire and that one if not a few are not as blood thirsty and cutthroat as their fellows and have joined the Federation either recently or long ago after Kirk's time but still well before TNG.
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-11-2011, 11:30 PM
Well certainly not to suggest that the newer Startrek movie is canon... but I am pretty sure that Ohuras room mate was an Orion... unless there is another race of promiscuous green hotties trolloping about the galaxy. LOL
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-12-2011, 01:55 PM
Since you CAN get an Orion at the top of the Diplomatic rank, and they are planning to allow you to promote bridge officers from top ranked admirals into player characters, it seemt the thing to do is get one of your Admiarals to the top of the diplomatic ranks, get your Orion BO and then advance then to a player character when they grant that option in season 4 or 5.
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-12-2011, 04:07 PM
Honestly, $30 is way too much money for any C-store promotion. You can pay for two months of STO with that kind of money, or even buy another game or group of games altogether, for the price of turning your skin green in a game that already lets you do that.

I don't see a problem with Orions being a playable race, though, and if anyone says otherwise, how on *Earth* did Pakleds become a Federation race, let alone be trusted with phasers as Federation security officers? And what about Federation Ferengi, or the upcoming playable Talaxian? There certainly shouldn't be more than one of them perr every thousand officers.

Maybe some people are too stuffy about the Star Trek lore, but I think it's been made pretty clear building a game that's fun to play which gives you lots of freedom of choice is first and foremost in its design.
Lt. Commander
# 16
01-12-2011, 04:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treagersama View Post
Well certainly not to suggest that the newer Startrek movie is canon... but I am pretty sure that Ohuras room mate was an Orion... unless there is another race of promiscuous green hotties trolloping about the galaxy. LOL
It's canon however wrong time line. STO follows "Prime" :p
Lt. Commander
# 17
01-13-2011, 03:07 AM
Well we do have playable Klingons, why wouldnt there be an adopted Orion child who grew up in a federation family? Or an orion family that defeted to the Federation and has lived in the UFP?

I mean Im just saying if we have the main enemy race as a playable character in starfleet why not an Orion?
Lt. Commander
# 18
01-16-2011, 07:59 PM
While I'm not sure about paying for them, certainly not 20$-30$ (maybe priced like the other purchasable races.), it does seem like there should be some more racial crossovers. The original Orion homeworld is in the Sirius sector. It doesn't seem unreasonable to assume that some would make it into Starfleet. Gorn were once allies of the Federation, (apocrypha; my only source for this is other Trek games. I have no clue if there is canon or soft canon support for this.) A few Klingons stayed with the Federation. We have those as playable, but no Gorn?

Klingon side? I don't know what races would fit. Humans? Andorians? Don't/didn't most Andorians hate Vulcans? Surely Archer didn't give the whole race the warm fuzzies for Vulcans.

More options is never a bad thing.
Lt. Commander
# 19
01-16-2011, 08:42 PM
I'm fine with it, but I'd say KDF really should get options added to it if they did this, extra costume options could work instead of a new species for KDF.
Lt. Commander
# 20
01-17-2011, 02:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyllus View Post
While I'm not sure about paying for them, certainly not 20$-30$ (maybe priced like the other purchasable races.), it does seem like there should be some more racial crossovers. The original Orion homeworld is in the Sirius sector. It doesn't seem unreasonable to assume that some would make it into Starfleet. Gorn were once allies of the Federation, (apocrypha; my only source for this is other Trek games. I have no clue if there is canon or soft canon support for this.) A few Klingons stayed with the Federation. We have those as playable, but no Gorn?

Klingon side? I don't know what races would fit. Humans? Andorians? Don't/didn't most Andorians hate Vulcans? Surely Archer didn't give the whole race the warm fuzzies for Vulcans.

More options is never a bad thing.
Um the gorn were never allies of the federation, if I remember correctly they flat out hate the federation for owning some worlds they gave up a long time ago and now want back, we might at best have had a treaty with them at some point, but I can not recal a single instance where the gorn were ever mentioned to be allies with the federation. This might be true on one of the games or maybe in the books but those are not considered cannon at all, heck it seems hard enough to keep their facts right in the shows half the time lol.

And if, and i mean if, they were ever allied with the federation it would have been late in the dominion war, but I see that as unlikeley as well since all of the minor evil races i.e. the breen were jumping on the dominion band wagon at the time.And any alliance of convienience would have long desolved by this point in the trek time line.