Lt. Commander
# 1 STO Tryout -- Hello, Goodbye
01-08-2011, 06:15 PM
Okay... so let me try to make a long story short.

A family member gets me hooked up on the Steam network to try to better facilitate getting into some new games together.

As I'm wandering around, I discover STO in the lineup. I'm intrigued. I was always a Star Trek fan from my earlier days, and never realized they had an MMO out. I contemplate the remifications of alienating my WoW-guildies and friends by devoting some time to getting to know STO and exploring this "new" game, even at the risk of getting growled at by the wife because it is -another- subscrip-based game. I make the conclusion that I may have a hard choice ahead of me to choose between WoW and STO soon. Damn the torpedoes, ahead full impulse!

Now we come to the meat of this post. After 8 days of exploring around and trying to get to know the game and those who play it, I have come to a saddening conclusion...

This post is being written in hopes that Atari / Cryptic will make some serious inquiries and actually listen to the player base in the future, or prepare to fall into obscurity.

STO, while it has flair and familiarity, as well as inviting game mechanics and gameplay designs, sadly suffers from a very negative representation by its very players.

Now, to reiterate, I play WoW. I have played WoW for years. We hear things all the time, but we still love the game. However, with the exception of a very chosen few I've run into, the public en masse in STO is as bitter as a group of strangers could ever be. And they are in nearly total agreement, by the representation they give in chats and in their actions, that STO is a sorely lacking game with no future. The public opinion seems to place a total collapse of STO between 2012-2013, if not sooner.

When asking around for resources to aid my research of the game, I got 3-5 times more snark than help, and most of the time, even that would boil into a flame war between the "insultants" involved over who was nastier... ...as though they were being judged for points like a sporting event.

Now, I've known "trolls" in WoW. Holy Mother, do we ever have our share! But they pale in comparison to what I witnessed being served here not just to me, but others who were asking simple questions that could have been answered so easily by a community that wasn't so busy cannibalizing their neighbors.

To the makers of STO, .... you have a very nice game here, from what little I experienced, speaking strictly in terms of content. I was very excited. So excited, in fact, that I was contemplating dropping WoW at least for a while in order to fully sink my teeth into STO.

Sadly, however, the community at large sees fit to slam the game at every turn, with flame wars insulting it and calling for its downfall every day of the 8 days I was here. Where WoW does have its trolls who garner personal entertainment off of insulting and antagonizing others, STO's crowd took it to a whole new level. It's amazing to me that many of these people haven't been perma-banned already. ( I will not mention names. They know who they are. )

It is truly sad that a game design of this caliber suffers from an infection like this. Cryptic, you have your work cut out for you. Improve your game, but more importantly, improve the overall players' outlook upon it so they have good things to share about it, and are more neighborly toward those of us daring to hazard a tryout to see if this game is cool. Yes, trolls will inhabit every game. But your infection is slowly killing the host from within, even if you don't realize it.

I truly hope that Cryptic and Atari can work out a solution to this problem. The game itself deserves better. The good players I had the fortune to run into deserve better. And it would be a sad day if the plug had to be pulled on the servers any time soon.

Sadly, I don't see an immediate need to sacrifice my current subscrip to WoW for what has been represented here for over a week now. I salute those who deserve it. I give the finger to those who deserve that. You all know who you are, respectfully.

Farewell, STO. Perhaps one day, I can come back to explore again, and perhaps be able to truly enjoy the game enough to immerse myself in a vacation from World of ********. Later folks.

~VincentVanHorne
aka "Morg"
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-08-2011, 06:31 PM
Sadly I agree with you.

Turning off zone has never improved a game as much as it does here.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-09-2011, 03:44 AM
I can't really compare, but the amount of negativity is sometimes really saddening.

I mean, why are all these people even still playing? Do they need to be there when it crashes and burns?
I enjoy playing this game. I do not regret playing it.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-09-2011, 04:07 AM
I don't think it is the majority of the community at all, though there are some terrible elements at large on these forums. I love STO and i've been having a Wow break since September, although my friends have just brought me Cataclysm; back to University on Wednesday so i still won't be playing that any time soon.
Forums are one thing but the general chat in game from the community is usually great. The constant C-Store this and that, moaning about a lack of content yet not understanding how long the game has been out and how MMO's supposedly work, the i quit threads. I haven't got that in-game. Maybe because the community is so much smaller against Wow that the black marks tend to show up more here, i can't be sure, but i'm met some great and passionate players in-game and even a few on these forum boards. I'm really enjoying it, and the bad apples (you know who you are! :p) won't spoil a good thing here. Besides, sometimes those Trolls in question can put a real smile on my day
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-09-2011, 04:19 AM
This is a real shame. There are fleets of literally hundreds of people ingame who do little else but help people with an air of positivity and generous good humour. It's a shame your experience has been as you post. I have come across negativity, players' patience have indeed been tested by Cryptic, but never to the extent you describe. I assume you are in a guild in WoW? If so try a fleet (same thing) in STO - they tend to be very helpful indeed and patient with new players trying to get used to a fairly complex game.

Risa sqaudron is such a fleet - give us a shout ingame. Or if you havn't given up completely already, give me a shout. -39@wd_harding
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-09-2011, 04:49 AM
Sorry to hear this happened to you. I wish ESD was not such a social hot spot at times as some of the things that people say there are brutal. Yet I have spent allot of time hangin out in ESD till about season two just chatting and goofing off and I do not remember it being that bad. Looks like things have changed since I have hung in ESD last.

Still I wish you the best of luck back in WoW and if you decide to stick around shout me up and I will help however I can.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-09-2011, 05:00 AM
Forget about Zonechat. Here is a 7-Step Guide how to enjoy STO in a social manner.

1) Dismiss Zone-Chat from your Tabs
2) Browse the Fleet-Index for a suitable and active fleet of your choice
3) Apply to join this fleet
4) Meanwhile check out their site (if they have any)
5) Make friends within the fleet
6) Share and use ressources
7) Enjoy the game!
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-09-2011, 05:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VincentVanHorne View Post
Okay... so let me try to make a long story short.

Now, to reiterate, I play WoW. ~VincentVanHorne
aka "Morg"
You lost me at ...
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-09-2011, 05:31 AM
Even though there are people who are negative...at least I can enjoy the gameplay here in STO. I can't enjoy anything in WoW...it just sucks all around. It is a teeny bopper game...always has been. Give me an adult-oriented game like STO anyday...over WoW.

I never understand why people come here, or to any MMO and talk about WoW...none of them have anything in common, other than being an MMO. I am dreading the WoW player migration into SWTOR...that will be a heap of annoyance and comparing as well. Leave WoW at home when you get out of the high school gaming types and graduate to adult games. Most of us have no interest in hearing about your WoW experience.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-09-2011, 05:31 AM
Sorry you had such a bad experience with some of the poorer players of the game. I agree, if their opinion is so low they need to /gtfo. Many/most of us are the complete opposite I think and if you will give the game more time and get the chance to meet some of the nicer crowd/fleets in STO you will change your mind. The first couple of ranks in the game can be daunting and there can be a bit of a learning curve until you get a better idea of how the system works.

I personally try to help every time I land or while travelling through the sector. A$$hats can pop up any where though and I make liberal use of iggy when it is called for. No game is without its trolls. If you haven't completely given up feel free to post here or send a msg in-game, I'd be glad to help out if I can.
Closed Thread