Lt. Commander
# 1 Appropriate race blood colors?
01-08-2011, 10:19 PM
Even though we don't see blood in this game, when a character gets an injury, it should be indicated in the appropriate color for that species. I.e. green for Vulcans, blue for Andorians and red for Humans. The colors should be associated with the particular species not just red for everyone.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-08-2011, 10:57 PM
I agree, would be nice to see something visual for an injury.

Would be even better to see arms blown off and bits floating around here and there, but they have to keep it friendly for all audiences
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-08-2011, 11:16 PM
I'd rather the dev resources went into things that actually affected gameplay.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-08-2011, 11:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by USS Parallax
I'd rather the dev resources went into things that actually affected gameplay.
Normally when I see ideas like this, I think the exact quoted thing. But all this is is coding the color of an injury alert based on the race... I can't imagine how that could take any more than an hour to do and ten minutes to test..
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-08-2011, 11:38 PM
Like the Devs don't have things like bugs to fix or usefull new features to work on. Next thing people will be asking the devs to waste thier time giving us ship interiors or the ability to sit in captains chairs . . . . oh wait :p
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-08-2011, 11:46 PM
Agreed.

Must be green and mean, best way to be seen, as sensibilities deem, so it always has been...

---
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-09-2011, 12:11 AM
Klingon blood is kinda puce when Vulcan blood is a dark emerald green, and Andorians are blue bloods. Far as I know that is as far as they have gone into it within canon. Now this I think is funny because blood color implies atmospheric compatibility. The reason our blood is red is because iron helps in the production of hemoglobin, (a metalloprotein) which blood uses to bond and carry the oxygen our bodies use as an oxidizer.

From a Wiki article about horseshoe crabs...

"Unlike humans, horseshoe crabs do not have hemoglobin in their blood, but instead use hemocyanin to carry oxygen. Because of the copper present in hemocyanin, their blood is blue. Their blood contains amebocytes, which play a role similar to white blood cells for vertebrates in defending the organism against pathogens."

Horseshoe crabs would not like our atmosphere even if they could breath it.

Does that mean Vulcans have barium, Andorians have copper, and Kingons have a mix of iron or strontium with copper in their blood? How does that effect how their blood bonds it's, for lack of a better term, preferred oxidizer? How would varying concentrations of these oxidizers present in native atmospheres effect visitors to that atmosphere?

*OK end tangent/rant*

Still we have condition monitors to indicate injury status, so I doubt the Devs will make a change there. Though it would be nice in a way to see cosmetic injury indication on the NPCs who are on wrecked ships and such.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-09-2011, 12:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by piwright42 View Post
Though it would be nice in a way to see cosmetic injury indication on the NPCs who are on wrecked ships and such.
This made me think of characters getting temporary "wound textures" when their health drops a lot, just like ships get damage textures when the hull is reduced.

As to the original thread subject: I ... really don't think that is necessary. Even if it would just take a minute or so to implement. I mean, we're talking about interface here. That's like creating medikits with a green cross instead of a red one because "duh, this one is for Vulcans".
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-09-2011, 12:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valias
This made me think of characters getting temporary "wound textures" when their health drops a lot, just like ships get damage textures when the hull is reduced.
Nice way to take it to the next level Val.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-09-2011, 12:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by piwright42 View Post
Klingon blood is kinda puce when Vulcan blood is a dark emerald green, and Andorians are blue bloods. Far as I know that is as far as they have gone into it within canon...
They've also stated the Breen has no blood in canon.