Lt. Commander
# 11
01-09-2011, 01:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by piwright42 View Post
Nice way to take it to the next level Val.
I'm actually a bit surprised why I didn't get this idea earlier, considering it's the same "tech" used by the ships!

Imagine, phaser burns and black holes appearing on your armour/uniform, whereas the face gets covered by various degrees of wounds, ranging from a simple scratch to OMYGODITHURTS.

And just like in space, you just need a medical tricorder to heal it away. Or a bottle of blood wine.

Silly detail, I know. But still ...
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-09-2011, 01:53 AM
Perhaps I'm mistaken, but none of the injury markers actually reflect blood type of any kind. The current system lists the injuries by severity with white being minor, yellow major, and red critical. This system reflects an alert status more than a blood type. Personally I like the system and any changes would simply be more confusing during combat. I like being able to quickly glance at my BO's status to see what, if any, injuries they have sustained by the color coding.

As for injury textures or any other visible injury graphics- no. It's not necessary and it would force a rating change on the game. It isn't necessary for STO's fun factor and I like that I can play STO around my five year old with no worries on graphic content. I even let her run around ESD sometimes (a warning to all those who are in there with her, lol).
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-09-2011, 01:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valias
I'm actually a bit surprised why I didn't get this idea earlier, considering it's the same "tech" used by the ships!

Imagine, phaser burns and black holes appearing on your armour/uniform, whereas the face gets covered by various degrees of wounds, ranging from a simple scratch to OMYGODITHURTS.

And just like in space, you just need a medical tricorder to heal it away. Or a bottle of blood wine.

It worked for the player's condition monitor in Castle Wolfenstein 3D. I think it would add a nice touch of depth personally.
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-09-2011, 03:36 AM
how about adding visual effects that affect gameplay if you get injuries?

for example if an officer has a twisted ankle he starts jumping on one leg
...bad example but you get what i mean

Blood?
there never was much Blood in Star Trek.
most of the time people are stunned or vaporized, only occasionally there is blood, a ripped off arm (that one Klingon in ST6 was the only one i think?) and very few times you see a hole in a body.

....anyway much more appropriate to the Game would be Personal Shields.
Worf made one by scratch in that Cowboy Holodeck Episode (if WORF can make one out of a Commincator then it can't be THAT hard!) and the Borg allways had them.
We have personal Shields as items, we don't get into cover or anything (because we don't need to ;P ) but there is no visual indication for shields on People.

PS: If anybody has a tutorial how to turn my Dell X51v into an iPhone please send me a PM ;P
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-09-2011, 08:32 AM
While some of these are good ideas. Blood and visual damage simply wont happen. Just the act of having blood in a game can, and often does, change a games ESRB rating. And then there is the mass market considerations. Some countries outside the US wont even allow games to be imported if there is blood.

I know, silly and ridiculous. But its just how things are.
Lt. Commander
# 16
01-09-2011, 09:00 AM
Quote:

Although petting a tribble works just as well to heal those phaser burns .
Lt. Commander
# 17
01-09-2011, 09:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3R0B4NG View Post
Blood? there never was much Blood in Star Trek.
Countless "black spot on uniform" phaser burns throughout all series, though.

Also, have you already forgotten the episode where Picard's phaser first burned away that possessed Admiral's face before making his head explode? Goriest scene ever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by captnwan View Post
Blood and visual damage simply wont happen. Just the act of having blood in a game can, and often does, change a games ESRB rating.
Maybe. And yes, it's weird - considering that STO also contains partial nudity and use of alcohol and gambling etc. By all the stuff it has racked up over the year you wonder why it isn't M-rated yet. The disruptor effect, whilst cool, also seems a bit violent for the current rating.
Lt. Commander
# 18
01-09-2011, 12:12 PM
Quote:
Also, have you already forgotten the episode where Picard's phaser first burned away that possessed Admiral's face before making his head explode? Goriest scene ever!
i'd be the first to vote for this to be the default effect, followed by what we've seen in ST6...

The first time i've seen this episode in TV that scene was cut out... i was like "WTF?" when i've seen it on the DVD later with the full... effect.

What happened to that Invasion anyway?
Lt. Commander
# 19
01-09-2011, 04:31 PM
Quote:
The first time i've seen this episode in TV that scene was cut out... i was like "WTF?" when i've seen it on the DVD later with the full... effect.
Hahah, yes! Same thing here.

Quote:
What happened to that Invasion anyway?
According to some novel those things were a subspecies of Trill symbionts. Trill parasites, so to say. No idea how STO handles this, but it certainly has potential to be picked up again.

Though the "Starfleet got infiltrated!" arc probably is a bit old right now, considering that we've still got our hands full with the Undine.
Lt. Commander
# 20
01-09-2011, 05:12 PM
Quote:
Hahah, yes! Same thing here.

According to some novel those things were a subspecies of Trill symbionts. Trill parasites, so to say. No idea how STO handles this, but it certainly has potential to be picked up again.

Though the "Starfleet got infiltrated!" arc probably is a bit old right now, considering that we've still got our hands full with the Undine.
I could see them working out as a fun macro antagonist in a weekly series.

Something like instead of X race orY splinter faction is the antagonists until you find out that the neural parasites are really controlling them. I would write something more elaborate but..im not that creative at the moment. :p

I think your idea of having a ground visual damage system similar to ship damage is a really good idea. I can't count the number of burned, ripped, and shot uniforms that ive seen over the years. Anything to give ground combat a little more flavor is a good idea.