Lt. Commander
# 11
01-10-2011, 10:46 PM
new music might be being added, but dont you think we'd like to have it cycle? Instead of ONE piece for sector space all the time? or a jukebox so we can choose?
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-10-2011, 11:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormShade
I will never tell! :p You'll just have to play through the missions to find out!
Now this is an interesting response.

As far as "using Star Trek music" goes, though, I do feel the need to repost something I posted early last year around release time:

Quote:
Originally Posted by me
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_johnson View Post
Doesnt the music licences of star trek scores also belong to the same (was it cbs, dont remember?) company as the main star trek licence under which the game is made?
No. It is the sole property of each composer who made it. This is standard procedure for every single television property today, after composers in the 20th century got boned over by television studios concerning property rights to the music.

MMO contracts are very, very nightmarish things, especially when you bring a Hollywood mentality to the table. Getting "Star Trek music" into the game would be very, very difficult and could well cost far more than it's "worth". This isn't a problem unique to STO, either; Star Trek Elite Force couldn't afford the rights to the Voyager theme (and this game was released while Voyager was on the air, and the game had all the money of Activision behind it) so they infamously had to come up with their own replacement.
So while it might be nice to hear "real" Trek music ingame, there's a very real chance that anything beyond the iconic "rising tones" would bankrupt Cryptic all by itself. (Yes, the music can get that expensive.) DCUO actually faces a similar problem - they might want to use the music from Superman or Batman, but getting John Williams or Danny Elfman music could exceed the budget of the game itself.

So don't expect much old Trek music in the game, ever - it's a contract and price thing, not negligence on the part of the developers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruis.In View Post
new music might be being added, but dont you think we'd like to have it cycle? Instead of ONE piece for sector space all the time? or a jukebox so we can choose?
We do have a jukebox of sorts, though I'm not sure how many people know about it. Open up iTunes or Winamp in the background, load a playlist, and then run the game. Once ingame, type /music. Voila, you can now manipulate the music program right from inside the game without tabbing.
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-10-2011, 11:43 PM
Quote:
New music is being added all the time! In fact, JHeinig just told me about some awesome new music coming up in one of the next Featured Episodes!

Thanks,

Stormshade
OhpleaseOhpleaseOhpleaseOhpleaseOhpleaseOhpleaseOh pleaseOhpleaseOhpleaseOhplease

let it be that trippy music that plays from the show when a sex-crazed Spock smacks the living hell out of Kirk.

Dun-Dun-Dun-Dun-Dun-Dun-Dun DUN-DUN-DUN-DUN-DUN!
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-11-2011, 05:59 AM
Quote:
New music is being added all the time! In fact, JHeinig just told me about some awesome new music coming up in one of the next Featured Episodes!

Thanks,

Stormshade
Thanks for the reply!
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-11-2011, 06:18 AM
You could also buy the Star Trek soundtracks on iTunes and play them in the background.

Or you can try this for laughs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AB3uV...eature=related
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander
# 17
01-11-2011, 10:33 AM
At the risk of forcing this thread over to 10forward here's a rather interesting dance remix of the star trek fight music
Lt. Commander
# 18
01-11-2011, 12:17 PM
I think the ambient game needs more music as there are entire periods of time when no track plays for me, or the same tracks repeat (specifically combat music).

Establishing a THEME per sector or type of mission is cool - much like the ONE TIME ONLY (QQ) Spock sector intro - but apart from that too much is often preferable to too few in other places.

Thanks,
Lt. Commander
# 19
01-11-2011, 12:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by elektro View Post
You could also buy the Star Trek soundtracks on iTunes and play them in the background.

Or you can try this for laughs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AB3uV...eature=related
".. the Rocking-horse people eat marshmallow pies.."

oh... my.... goodness
Lt. Commander
# 20
01-11-2011, 12:29 PM
Quote:
I will never tell! :p
Oh yes you will, you will never be able to resist hypnosis :p