Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1 Math questions
01-09-2011, 04:51 AM
I'm trying to understand the math on weapon attacks so I can optimize my ship. Can someone confirm that this is correct?

1. Hit chance = 95% - [target's defense] + [attacker's accuracy]

2. Bonuses from individual weapons only apply to the specific weapon. For example, if I had two [CrtH] weapons, the crit chance would only be +2% on each attack rather than +4% on each attack.

3. On a crit hit, the damage is equal to [normal damage] * (1 + [crit severity]). So if you normally do 10 damage and have a 50% crit severity, a critical hit would deal 15 damage.

Also, are their any caps on Accuracy, Defense, Crit Chance, or Crit Severity?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
01-09-2011, 01:10 PM
I believe Defense is capped at 65%. There is also an Accuracy cap (I think it's 95% or 100%?) after which any extra Accuracy you have turns into CrtD.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
01-09-2011, 01:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadix
I'm trying to understand the math on weapon attacks so I can optimize my ship. Can someone confirm that this is correct?

1. Hit chance = 95% - [target's defense] + [attacker's accuracy]

2. Bonuses from individual weapons only apply to the specific weapon. For example, if I had two [CrtH] weapons, the crit chance would only be +2% on each attack rather than +4% on each attack.

3. On a crit hit, the damage is equal to [normal damage] * (1 + [crit severity]). So if you normally do 10 damage and have a 50% crit severity, a critical hit would deal 15 damage.

Also, are their any caps on Accuracy, Defense, Crit Chance, or Crit Severity?
1) Don't think there has been any dev statmenet as to the tohit formula. Entire posible for me to have missed it.

2) Correct. Specific weapon modifiers are for that specific weapon.

3) Yep. That the girst of most buffs in the game as well.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
01-10-2011, 04:00 PM
1. Hit chance = 95% - [target's defense] + [attacker's accuracy]
This is correct.

2. Bonuses from individual weapons only apply to the specific weapon.
This is my understanding, as well. CrtH bonuses from powers provide their buff to all weapons, but the weapon bonuses themselves only help that specific weapon.

3. On a crit hit, the damage is equal to [normal damage] * (1 + [crit severity]).Correct again.

Also, are their any caps on Accuracy, Defense, Crit Chance, or Crit Severity?
Your Net To-Hit Chance after the formula in #1 caps at 100%. Any percentage over 100% gets added to your Critical Severity (CrtD). This is why it sucks to be stuck in a Tractor Beam or Gravity Well and why it's never wise to stand still... If your opponent Crits against you while you're stopped they're going to do massive damage!

There is a Defense cap, which I think is 65% (as MVS5191 mentioned).

I'm unaware of any CrtH/D cap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzun View Post
1) Don't think there has been any dev statmenet as to the tohit formula. Entire posible for me to have missed it...
It's in one of the UI Tooltips. I'm at work, so can't check right now, but I think you get the pop-up if you highlight your Accuracy stat. And/or maybe it's explained in the Accuracy Trait Tooltip. I'll find it and let you know if someone else doesn't by then.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
01-10-2011, 04:40 PM
Is that 65 defense cap before the attackers accuracy is figured in or after?

I'm trying to understand if getting my defense over 65 gets me any benefits.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
01-10-2011, 04:42 PM
The 65% defense cap is lifted by the AEGIS set bonus that provides bonus defense while moving (can't remember the name right now). The modified cap is 85%.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
01-10-2011, 09:48 PM
Ok, I did confirm the Tooltip regarding the 95% base To Hit and 100% To Hit overcap going towards Severity. It's the Tooltip in your Ship's Status UI when you hover over the Bonus Accuracy stat under the Attack Accordian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadix
Is that 65 defense cap before the attackers accuracy is figured in or after?

I'm trying to understand if getting my defense over 65 gets me any benefits.
A ship's Defense is capped before combat is calculated. I'm pretty sure it's a hard cap, so going over won't help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adwynyth View Post
The 65% defense cap is lifted by the AEGIS set bonus that provides bonus defense while moving (can't remember the name right now). The modified cap is 85%.
You know, now that you mention it, I seem to remember that too... I think it's the Thoron Distortion Field power that buffs the Defense Cap, right?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
01-11-2011, 02:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatricianVetinari
... I think it's the Thoron Distortion Field power that buffs the Defense Cap, right?
YES! That's the name. Totally forgot to look when I was in-game earlier. Thank you. :p
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:08 AM.