Lt. Commander
# 1 MMO Gaming Mouse troubles
01-09-2011, 08:22 AM
Greetings, being a WoW player, I recently got a Cataclysm Gaming Mouse by Steelseries. Being an STO player too, I today thought it would be cool to use it in Star Trek Online. Unfortunatly I haven't had a real success, actually the mouse or the game is behaving awkward.

I set macros within the mouse driver for certain keys, like "2", Alt-1" and so on. The macros got assigned to mouse buttons. However within STO, the game does not execute these commands. The weird part would the matter of fact that the mouse button works within the chatframe. So if I want to chat and press the button for "1", it types 1 within the chatwindow.
If I want to assign the macroed button within STOs keybinding and press the mouse button, STO always recognizes the button as "Joy15". It doesn't matter what kind of button I press, all macroed buttons get recognized as Joy15.

Now to the next part. The driver has built-in commands for many WoW specific commands like open map ("M), open social window ("O") or all the action bar keys ("1-0"). If I assigned buttons for the WoW commands, everything works fine! For example if I map two side buttons as "Open Social WIndow" and "Open Map" (which are by coincidence the same in STO), the game opens the social window and the map when pressed. Also within the key binding in STO the pressed button no longer gets recognized as "Joy15", but rather more the actual button from the WoW command, in example "O" and "M".

Why does it work like this? For example why a macroed button works within the chat but not within the game itself? Why do the WoW specific commands work just fine? Can some Developer or other user throw some hints here?
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-09-2011, 04:48 PM
i get around this isue by using a G13 and razer naga together to execute my tray commands (ie ctrl and alt are set on the G20 and 21 keys and the naga is set to normal numbers mode to free up the numpad keys for other macros if i need to set them.)
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-26-2012, 04:50 PM
I just came back from a 3 month hiatus. I was using the cataclysm mouse with 15 macros bound to use within STO. All worked perfectly before. Once I downloaded all the new patches, they have all stopped. My guess is Cryptic decided they didn't want people using ******** branded products and blacklisted them. Hopefully someone can prove me wrong and tell me what changed in the last few months and how to get around it but until then...

I'm not buying multiple mice for multiple games so....Subscription Suspended.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-27-2012, 06:09 PM
Have you tried ensuring that the gamepad and joystick support are disabled in the Controller options?
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-05-2012, 09:01 PM
i to am having troubles. for me, when ever i try to set a macro the game auto crashes when i try to use it. i can do something as simple as the 1 key to fire a weapon. the game doesnt recoginze it and it crashes within a few seconds....