Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 11
01-09-2011, 10:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by USS Parallax
This is where my designer ways take over. I just can't like it that much. It's not unique or original. It's just a refit of a connie. However, I understand why some people want the familiar rather than something unique and original.

My design is an example of my tastes. The tastes of a risk taker.
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=196363


But whatever floats your boat.
Thats a good design, just not for the Ent-F. The reason is because the Ent-F would be something between this and this. That design simply doesnt fit the progression.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 12
01-09-2011, 11:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Thats a good design, just not for the Ent-F. The reason is because the Ent-F would be something between this and this. That design simply doesnt fit the progression.
Yeah, as much as it can be fun to just think way outside the box, one has to figure that the Enterprise design has to share some basic structure in order to be instantly recognizable. That means mostly 2 nacelles on pylons above a secondary hull, and a saucer out front.

Many of the designs are really interesting, but most of them I think would be better suited to either alien races or other potential Federation ships than the Enterprise.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 13
01-09-2011, 11:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Thats a good design, just not for the Ent-F. The reason is because the Ent-F would be something between this and this. That design simply doesnt fit the progression.
Enterprise J is from 100-200 years after the Enterprise E. There's the F, G, H and I to go through between the E and J. Considering the amount of Enterprise ships between them and the amount of time (the J is from the 26th century) there's no real reason the ship has to be a hybrid of existing Enterprise's and the J. Would each one of those four Enterprise ships just be another hybrid of J?

I don't think so.



But on the other hand, I went into this knowing that Cryptic and CBS is probably looking for exactly that. They already mentioned they wanted to make a ship that was a modern version of that future Enterprise J. This contest may have been an excuse to do just that and maybe they already have in mind the kind of winner they're looking for (and Enterprise J hybrid).

So... I know I'm probably screwing myself due to being too unique and too original. :p
Too many risks!



If I had to choose the most likely winner I actually saw a design that was a decent Enterprise F hybrid. However, it seems to have fallen off the most votes and highest rated but it looked nice. I can't find it now since it's in a pile of like 1500 submissions.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 14
01-09-2011, 11:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by USS Parallax
This is where my designer ways take over. I just can't like it that much. It's not unique or original. It's just a refit of a connie. However, I understand why some people want the familiar rather than something unique and original.

My design is an example of my tastes. The tastes of a risk taker.
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=196363


But whatever floats your boat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Thats a good design, just not for the Ent-F. The reason is because the Ent-F would be something between this and this. That design simply doesnt fit the progression.
I actually do not appreciate the fact that it borrows alot of constitution class features, such as the deflector.

However, its still a good design in other respects. I think if the deflector is swapped out for a more J-ish version, a second deflector added, and the saucer elongated, it'll be good. The struts for instance, are the kind i expected to see. In some respects, going forward to the J design means bringing back some refit-constitution features too.

As you say, whatever floats your boat. I would vote for torganeu's design, only i think he wasnt aware its meant to be an interim design to the J.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 15
01-09-2011, 11:26 AM
Someone posted a thread a couple of weeks ago that had a ship that looked like a mix of the Sovereign and the JJ prise. I know some people hate the JJ prise, but I really liked the design in that thread. Unfortunately, I've lost it. If anyone knows what I'm talking about please post the link.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 16
01-09-2011, 11:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Someone posted a thread a couple of weeks ago that had a ship that looked like a mix of the Sovereign and the JJ prise. I know some people hate the JJ prise, but I really liked the design in that thread. Unfortunately, I've lost it. If anyone knows what I'm talking about please post the link.
Can't help you sorry. But you reminded me, thats another reason i voted this particular ship. My first impression, and if you ignore the top-down schematic view, is that it looks like a sovereign mixed with JJ-prise aesthetics. Until you see the schematic and realize its shaped like the constitution.

My hope is that if it wins, Cryptic may edit the ship somewhat to fit the criteria more with Chris's permission.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 17
01-09-2011, 11:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Someone posted a thread a couple of weeks ago that had a ship that looked like a mix of the Sovereign and the JJ prise. I know some people hate the JJ prise, but I really liked the design in that thread. Unfortunately, I've lost it. If anyone knows what I'm talking about please post the link.
ive gone thru the threads i posted in and have not found it in them. i know of the one you speak...was actually a good one too.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 18
01-09-2011, 11:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLRevan View Post
Can't help you sorry. But you reminded me, thats another reason i voted this particular ship. My first impression, and if you ignore the top-down schematic view, is that it looks like a sovereign mixed with JJ-prise aesthetics. Until you see the schematic and realize its shaped like the constitution.

My hope is that if it wins, Cryptic may edit the ship somewhat to fit the criteria more with Chris's permission.
Finally found it:

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs46/i/20...njapan1988.jpg

http://th09.deviantart.net/fs48/PRE/...njapan1988.jpg

http://th08.deviantart.net/fs47/PRE/...njapan1988.jpg

From this site:

http://browse.deviantart.com/?q=gall...1988/23753260#
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 19
01-09-2011, 11:46 AM
Here's a another promising one. Recently uploaded.

Fits the criteria for J-likeness. There's just something about it that irritates me though. Maybe its the nacelles, they could look sleeker.

EDIT: http://www.startrekonline.com/enterp...ryFinalT2.jpeg

I forgot the link. Again. *facepalm*
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:48 PM.