Lt. Commander
# 1 Scaling Your Enterprise F
01-09-2011, 11:02 AM
So to all my fellow Enterprise F entrants, how much or how little did you take scale into account when designing your ship? Did you go with aesthetics and worry about that later? Did you come up with a number and work towards it? Did you stick another ship next to it and work off that?

Since I ultimately ended up putting windows on my hull, I had to at least get a rough scale to figure out how tall they could be and how many rows could fit, so my ship would be somewhere between 730 and 760 m long depending on how tall the windows would be (I figured between 4 and 6 ft based on what we've seen in the show.) That makes her significantly longer than the Enterprise E, and marginally taller and wider. The width is mostly due to my having a more rounded saucer.

However, I did make some adjustments for the aesthetics of taking my still shots, which sometimes made it look as though the nacelles were slightly under the saucer because of the perspective and the program I was using etc. So if I adjusted to them back down to where I wanted them to be on the grid, my ship would actually be about the same height if not a little shorter than the Enterprise E.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-09-2011, 11:14 AM
At one point I noticed I miscalculated the size of my windows for my design (see sig and VOTE please).

I accidentally made it too small at first. I had to increase the number of decks by like 25% and redo a ton of windows. I had about 26+ decks at first but later upped it to 33-35. I also made my decks like 20% bigger than most other decks but that was more on purpose (I figure there's just more stuff in between decks on my ship).

However in deciding the amount of decks my ship has I had to take into consideration the crappy inconsistencies that the decks in the shows and movies have. The Sovereign model was designed for 23 decks. In a movie they state it has 24 which isn't a stretch. Maybe a few are smaller than normal. Then in the same freakin' movie someone said it had 26 decks. Later it had 29.

I figure my 33ish deck ship could safely have like 40 decks then since I designed it to have 33 (with the possibility of 1-2 smaller decks). :p
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-09-2011, 11:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by USS Parallax
At one point I noticed I miscalculated the size of my windows for my design (see sig and VOTE please).

I accidentally made it too small at first. I had to increase the number of decks by like 25% and redo a ton of windows. I had about 26+ decks at first but later upped it to 33-35. I also made my decks like 20% bigger than most other decks but that was more on purpose (I figure there's just more stuff in between decks on my ship).

However in deciding the amount of decks my ship has I had to take into consideration the crappy inconsistencies that the decks in the shows and movies have. The Sovereign model was designed for 23 decks. In a movie they state it has 24 which isn't a stretch. Maybe a few are smaller than normal. Then in the same freakin' movie someone said it had 26 decks. Later it had 29.

I figure my 33ish deck ship could safely have like 40 decks then since I designed it to have 33 (with the possibility of 1-2 smaller decks). :p
Hehe you reminded me I forgot my shameless plug too. Please go to my sig and vote 5 stars!

It got tricky trying to decide what a "deck" would be for me. Height-wise it's 3 decks raised above (bridge on down), then the saucer itself is big enough for 3 or 4, but I ultimately made 2 rows of windows figuring there had to be some space in between and on the borders (plus it looked crowded with 3 rows).

Also the neck I made is heavily integrated into both the saucer and the secondary hull, so at the top and bottom, it could conceivably share a deck with either side.

I think I had 21 decks all told, figuring on some room for armor and whatnot. I didn't want her to be much, if at all, taller than the Enterprise E because the trend seems to be towards a flatter design overall.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-09-2011, 11:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LotD
So to all my fellow Enterprise F entrants, how much or how little did you take scale into account when designing your ship? Did you go with aesthetics and worry about that later? Did you come up with a number and work towards it? Did you stick another ship next to it and work off that?

Since I ultimately ended up putting windows on my hull, I had to at least get a rough scale to figure out how tall they could be and how many rows could fit, so my ship would be somewhere between 730 and 760 m long depending on how tall the windows would be (I figured between 4 and 6 ft based on what we've seen in the show.) That makes her significantly longer than the Enterprise E, and marginally taller and wider. The width is mostly due to my having a more rounded saucer.

However, I did make some adjustments for the aesthetics of taking my still shots, which sometimes made it look as though the nacelles were slightly under the saucer because of the perspective and the program I was using etc. So if I adjusted to them back down to where I wanted them to be on the grid, my ship would actually be about the same height if not a little shorter than the Enterprise E.
Just for your information, from intrnal evidence int he shows it's been estimated that a "standard deck" height int he Federation is 3.5M - or 10.6 feet. Might want to re-think your lengths based onthat scale, and remember that most windows we see around the ships are the entire deck in height.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-09-2011, 11:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callasan View Post
Just for your information, from intrnal evidence int he shows it's been estimated that a "standard deck" height int he Federation is 3.5M - or 10.6 feet. Might want to re-think your lengths based onthat scale, and remember that most windows we see around the ships are the entire deck in height.
Yeah, I remember when I was trying to work out size, I had seen a couple of different figures ranging from 3m to 5m. When I originally spaced the windows out, I did it assuming at least 13 ft or 4 m for a "deck", with the windows taking up half of that and centered. I did want to make sure the windows were actually smaller and fewer in number than we typically see if for no other reason than it always seemed silly to me to have that many un-plated areas of the hull, especially now that you could conceivably make a holographic projection window that fakes being a view outside.

The ship is specifically 2004 "units" long from nacelle tip to saucer tip. I don't recall off the top of my head height/width.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-09-2011, 12:36 PM
I'm the type that likes accuracy, so I decided to use real-scale measurements on the computer. (1:1 Ratio)

After my intiital Sketch, I did some extrapolation on ship lengths that would be for the future Enterprises from the F to the J and determined somewhere between 900m to 1400m is acceptable, which is coincidentially the same sizes for the Romulan D'Deridex Warbird and the Klingon Vo'Quv. So I determined that 1000m was a nice length.

The ships width and height was trial and error from the initial sketch and the deck height used the traditional 3m standard.

Should be done in the next few days. /crosses fingers
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-09-2011, 12:48 PM
I fidured my design would be about the same size of a Soverign class in length maybe a little taller and wider. I took a look at the J and the E and tried to mesh the two a little but more towards the E and other common ships of this era yet still something new.

I truly dislike the 3 or 4 nacell designs as THE ENTERPRISE and even the J with its massive size was a simple explorative cruiser not a carrier or war ship. But with the E being a combat cruiser to battle the Borg threat and with the STO timeline the federation is at war with the Klingons, the Borg and the Undine with the constant threat of Romulans and Cardassians, it made sense that the F would also be a combat cruiser.

At least that is my philosophy on why I designed it the way I did. If you get a chance take a look and by all means vote!
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-09-2011, 01:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragamite View Post
I truly dislike the 3 or 4 nacell designs as THE ENTERPRISE and even the J with its massive size was a simple explorative cruiser not a carrier or war ship. But with the E being a combat cruiser to battle the Borg threat and with the STO timeline the federation is at war with the Klingons, the Borg and the Undine with the constant threat of Romulans and Cardassians, it made sense that the F would also be a combat cruiser.
I was thinking similarly as to it being a combat vessel, but what I did was to try and shed mass instead of giving her more armor. My thinking was that after forty years, Starfleet would've come up with a better hull alloy that would not require as much armor plating to be effective, thereby making their ships more maneuverable, if for no other reason than they now have had access to two Doomsday Machines with virtually impervious hulls.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-09-2011, 08:35 PM
I drew my first view (top) and once complete I took a ruler to the screen (yeah I know, but it was in paint so it was the easiest way) and got a measurement. I worked out that if I made the scale 1:30000 then it would fit pretty well when compared to other ships. Then from there I kept working from that scale.

For Reference

Fortunately everything seemed to fit in quite well, however due to using paint, I couldn't get a proper representation of the windows with pixels
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-09-2011, 10:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MavrykDH View Post
Fortunately everything seemed to fit in quite well, however due to using paint, I couldn't get a proper representation of the windows with pixels
Still, I'd say you did rather well. I know the feeling though. This was my first time designing something in this manner, which is one of the reasons I was curious about how people handled scaling. Usually my design work is confined to UIs (work) or maps for FPSes (fun). I've always been more of a programmer than an artist. I could probably script my ship to fly a pattern and fire phasers and photon torpedoes in 1/10th the time it took me to make it.

Then again, even though nobody has really taken an interest in my design, I'm still pretty impressed at how good it ultimately came out all things considered. (Links in my sig for reference.)