Lt. Commander
# 31
01-10-2011, 01:59 PM
Your such a Ferengie!

The low score for STO does alarm me, if for no other reason other than I have a lifetime sub and haven't
played but 50% of my pre-paid time. I need another 9 months to just break even and at the rate content is released, 9 months will be almost 2 years. I don't know about you guys but I've taken 3 month breaks away from STO while content is added and updates are released.
Lt. Commander
# 32
01-10-2011, 04:06 PM
Wow, did I open a can of worms lol. :p

Now I admit, looking back at this after I've gotten some sleep, it was a bit alarmist. STO does seem to be Atari's Cash Cow if you will, generating a lot of money for both Cryptic and Atari. Perhaps they thought it was more of a failure because they were expecting to compete with WoW? If that was the case, then unfortunately you're always going to be disappointed. WoW is just to well entrenched as the benchmark MMO if you will to be seriously challenged.

I've taken to heart all the positive responses for STO and feel pretty good about it's prospects. But I'm still interested to hear in what the Dev's have to say...
Lt. Commander
# 33
01-10-2011, 04:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
It's why practically no one saw Moon in theaters but Transformers 2 made tons of money.
I found Moon on Netflix and I was wondering why it wasn't the critically-aclaimed sci-fi of it's release year..

Moon is awesome, seriously, anybody reading this with a Netflix account should go watch it.
Lt. Commander
# 34
01-10-2011, 08:11 PM
don't worry about the article, Atari isn't gonna ditch Cryptic, since they need them and also, in my opinion, review scores don't matter much in this world (it's the people's opinions that matter, such as everyone on these forums )
Lt. Commander
# 35
01-10-2011, 08:28 PM
I wouldn't worry about the article guys. Cryptic itself is profitable, and doing well. Atari is doing much better, and we (Atari) have some awesome things brewing for this coming year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactrix View Post
At least (apart from Neverwinter) we know what the other "secret" project Cryptic is working is...

They should just focus on STO. Faeries vs. Darklings sounds rubbish.
FvD is a Face Book Game. It's a "match 3" game (similar to Bejeweled), and is not developed by Cryptic.

If you enjoy games like Bejeweled, I'd recommend giving it a shot. I'm not a fan of that particular genre, but found it to be pretty fun.

Please remember, that Cryptic is not the only part of Atari. We also publish games here from outside developers, and we have other divisions working on casual social games, console titles, and downloadable (XBLA or PSN) titles. Like any company, we don't do just the one thing at Atari.

Thanks,

Stormshade
Lt. Commander
# 36
01-10-2011, 08:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormShade
I wouldn't worry about the article guys. Cryptic itself is profitable, and doing well. Atari is doing much better (than it was last year), and we (Atari) have some awesome things brewing for this coming year.

Stormshade
Added for clarification. The paranoid readers might've mistook that for "Atari is doing much better (than Cryptic)"
Lt. Commander
# 37
01-10-2011, 08:50 PM
The only thing that really struck me in the article was the line "Atari has taken the Cryptic resources and focused them on social casual online games."

I'm thinking that is at the least a misrepresentation, at the worst just wrong. If they were taking resources away I would think the things in development show signs of slowing rather then getting bigger and more in-depth.
Lt. Commander
# 38
01-10-2011, 08:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk911
The only thing that really struck me in the article was the line "Atari has taken the Cryptic resources and focused them on social casual online games."

I'm thinking that is at the least a misrepresentation, at the worst just wrong. If they were taking resources away I would think the things in development show signs of slowing rather then getting bigger and more in-depth.
Considering STO is one of their most profitable titles, it'd seem a little silly.
Lt. Commander
# 39
01-10-2011, 09:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelus72 View Post
I saw this article, and was a bit concerned over what Atari may be doing to our beloved Star Trek Online. The article can be found HERE, but for those that can't check it out, here's the C&P and I have set in bold the few parts that concern me the most:

Does this mean the level of customer service and GM support we have now will be cut to almost non-existent levels? Will the prospect of future weekly episodes be hampered by the lack of developers for the game? I hope not. I enjoy this game thoroughly and purchased a Lifetime Subscription because I see myself playing this game for a long, long time. I would like to hear something from the Devs (who hopefully won't end up losing their jobs because of this!) to settle my fears and the worries of anyone else.

Also, if this has been brought up before, I apologize. If this is the case, please feel free to delete this thread.

Thank you
I think you can answer this for yourself, Just by reading the article.

If this company and game was the only thing keeping your company alive, would you be diverting funds from it? Seriously?
Lt. Commander
# 40
01-10-2011, 09:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk911

Agreed.

Hell, even Champions Online, which hit a REALLY bad development slump before F2P was announced, is now getting a lot of resources for said F2P push. IF they're pulling Cryptic resources, Cryptic has more resources than we know of.
Closed Thread