Lt. Commander
# 41
01-10-2011, 10:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsman View Post
(I think Jack tried with CO; thinking MS wouldn't pass up a royalty fee; but Microsoft was being Microsoft; and Jack is still good enough to realize when a company just doesn't want to do business; hence why all 360 development across all Cryptic games was shelved, and all announced Xbox 360 plans dropped.)
Thanks for the info. I guess I'm thinking that perhaps after SONY has DCUO, those Final Fantasy MMO's and The Agency (if that'll ever ship), perhaps Microsoft will change their mind and then Cryptic could basically say, "here's the platform and 3 games ready made to go".

After all, the code for the platform to work on the XBOX 360 (or at least with a XBOX 360 controller) is probably already there, client-wise, and I doubt Cryptic would've taken things out to optimize things for PC's only. Heck, for all we know, it may be possible that the reason STO has such small instances is because it was made for XBOX 360 machines!
Lt. Commander
# 42
01-11-2011, 12:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfPit View Post
Thanks for the info. I guess I'm thinking that perhaps after SONY has DCUO, those Final Fantasy MMO's and The Agency (if that'll ever ship), perhaps Microsoft will change their mind and then Cryptic could basically say, "here's the platform and 3 games ready made to go".

After all, the code for the platform to work on the XBOX 360 (or at least with a XBOX 360 controller) is probably already there, client-wise, and I doubt Cryptic would've taken things out to optimize things for PC's only. Heck, for all we know, it may be possible that the reason STO has such small instances is because it was made for XBOX 360 machines!
We're quickly getting to the point where STO would run into the Xbox's RAM cap. All this PC-only development since launch (and continues) will soon outpace the mediocre ram available in either the PS3 or Xbox 360.

Look no further than Team Fortress 2 (a title available on both but can't access the latest updates due to hitting the hardware limits).
Lt. Commander
# 43
01-11-2011, 01:40 AM
Yeeaah I have to call hogwash on this one. Star Trek Online is not acting anything at all like a MMO that's in financial trouble. What it's acting like is an MMO that's developed by a team that realizes they were too small and didn't have enough time to produce STO the way they wanted the first time and now they're rushing like crazy to flesh out the game. That's not something that a dying MMO does. Look at APB -- dying MMOs go into the red and just ... DIE. MMOs that have teams like the STO Team that's looking to hire new people and produce more content and more features well into the next 2 years simply is NOT dying.

I'll be honest with you, right now, I think Champions Online is a more fleshed out title than Star Trek Online is by a long shot. But Champions is the title that's not met expectations and is trying out a new payment method -- Star Trek Online isn't, and that's because its raking in the doe as is. Why? Because the MMO community aren't the people who dig STO -- I gambled for the Lifetime subscription based on one simple fact: Star Trek fans will love ANYTHING Star Trek, as people still crying over the cancellation of Enterprise will tell you. Sci-Fi fans looking for a good game are the people Cryptic has been attracting, not the guildies, and as long as sci-fi fans exist, STO will exist, I think.

To here's a pint of optimism on me. And here's to hoping Champions' new payment method is successful too! Mainly because if it is, it may come to STO, and I have many friends that I want to start playing the game who just don't have the funds to do it!
Lt. Commander
# 44
01-11-2011, 06:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Havraha View Post
the MMO community aren't the people who dig STO -- I gambled for the Lifetime subscription based on one simple fact: Star Trek fans will love ANYTHING Star Trek, as people still crying over the cancellation of Enterprise will tell you. Sci-Fi fans looking for a good game are the people Cryptic has been attracting, not the guildies, and as long as sci-fi fans exist, STO will exist, I think.

To here's a pint of optimism on me. And here's to hoping Champions' new payment method is successful too! Mainly because if it is, it may come to STO, and I have many friends that I want to start playing the game who just don't have the funds to do it!
I agree with the first paragraph (in the quote above) but disagree with the latter.

Until I have, at a minimum, recovered what I paid, I would not like to see this game become free to play.

Just call me selfish and greedy.
Lt. Commander
# 45
01-11-2011, 06:49 AM
tbh its sounds like streamlining till the see what happens to games player base after swtor is launched , it would be sad if STO sinks because id take star trek universe over star wars any day
Lt. Commander
# 46
01-11-2011, 06:56 AM
I just hope Cryptic gets the go ahead to make a Stargate MMO. Their experience making STO would give them a leg up and especially now that Stargate Worlds is now vaporware. Make it happen, Cryptic.
Lt. Commander
# 47
01-11-2011, 07:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Havraha View Post

I'll be honest with you, right now, I think Champions Online is a more fleshed out title than Star Trek Online is by a long shot. But Champions is the title that's not met expectations and is trying out a new payment method -- Star Trek Online isn't, and that's because its raking in the doe as is. Why? Because the MMO community aren't the people who dig STO -- .

I don't agree that CO is more fleshed out, but I do agree that STO isn't a MMO players game; everyone except one guy I play with are not gamers or MMO players...they are for the most part Trekkers and members of Starfleet International. I saw that coming when the game was announced at the Vegas Trek convention, and was quite promptly told I was out of my mind..yet here we are.

I think this a future trend...you are going to have a lot of MMO's out there that "Gamers" (which seems to mean Min/max spreadsheet kings who like formulaic processes ) hate, yet people folks who are fans of a particular universe love...I full foresee Neverwinter not appealing to the MMO crowd but being a big hit with Old school pen and paper D&D players.... That isn't a bad thing I think
Lt. Commander
# 48
01-11-2011, 07:42 AM
I think it is very apparent what the effects are from the fallout from the debacle of a launch. We are seeing pretty much nothing of substance actually put in the game from the devs in the last 3-6 months, as Ask Cryptic sessions only talk about "to come" scenarios and promises.

Their staff can't be at even close to the levels at launch or prior. Yes, I know that in most cases they layoff devs or reposition them to other projects after a launch. But a successful MMO never has to do that and keeps growing. With this license, I don't think anyone felt that it would be anything other than a cash cow, simply because of the fanbase. They blew it.
Lt. Commander
# 49
01-11-2011, 07:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrys View Post
I think it is very apparent what the effects are from the fallout from the debacle of a launch. We are seeing pretty much nothing of substance actually put in the game from the devs in the last 3-6 months, as Ask Cryptic sessions only talk about "to come" scenarios and promises.

Their staff can't be at even close to the levels at launch or prior. Yes, I know that in most cases they layoff devs or reposition them to other projects after a launch. But a successful MMO never has to do that and keeps growing. With this license, I don't think anyone felt that it would be anything other than a cash cow, simply because of the fanbase. They blew it.

Funny developers and GM's I have talked to really don't project the air of "we blew it" And to be quite honest, the fanbase is what's actually granting this game the success it does have, and I think that sorta ****es the MMO community off a bit. Last Sunday members of Starfleet international all gathered like we usually do at DS9 we filled up three districts this time, we chatted ran fleet actions PVPed and Role Played and enjoyed this so called failure just like we have been since launch...I don't see us being lured away any time soon, because we are seeing more like minded members join, and most of us aren't really MMO players or gamers even.

Yeah as an MMO STO didn't do that well, but it seems to be holding it's own, winning awards and even growing as a Trek game.
Lt. Commander
# 50
01-11-2011, 08:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by storm_dragon View Post
Funny developers and GM's I have talked to really don't project the air of "we blew it" And to be quite honest, the fanbase is what's actually granting this game the success it does have, and I think that sorta ****es the MMO community off a bit. Last Sunday members of Starfleet international all gathered like we usually do at DS9 we filled up three districts this time, we chatted ran fleet actions PVPed and Role Played and enjoyed this so called failure just like we have been since launch...I don't see us being lured away any time soon, because we are seeing more like minded members join, and most of us aren't really MMO players or gamers even.

Yeah as an MMO STO didn't do that well, but it seems to be holding it's own, winning awards and even growing as a Trek game.
I'm not concerned about what the devs/GMs say, they would never admit to blowing it anyway and frankly I don't necessarily fault them. Their management blew it, they coded what was asked of them. You can't possibly think that filling up three zones (30ish in size) says this game is a "fan success." They had well over a million at launch, now the numbers are closers to 200,000 or even 150,000, with a big part of that now lifers which they get their money's worth in 6 months (worth is a strong word).

The only hope I have is with JHeinig who has a long history of successes in both the video game industry as well as Star Trek genre.

PS: you incorrectly spelled "their" in your sig
Closed Thread